Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-11-2022, 03:06 AM   #1
osmon77
Human being with feelings

Default poping noises when play back windows 11

hello, I have a question for the experienced ones, I have a laptop with windows 11 and use a focusrite 18i20, when I play the recordings to edit I keep hearing poping noises during playback, only when the laptop is not hooked up to the interface (focusrite 18i20) does any one had this problem and had it fixed, during playback with the headphones, thanks in advance
osmon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
ivansc

Excommunicate it! (blush)

EDIT:

The real answer is that you are likely over-stressing the internal sound card of your laptop, which is causing it to snap,crackle and/or pop.

Easy way is to keep using the focusrite as your audio out.
Techie answer is to check what audio system you have selected in reaper.
I am assuming you are (correctly) using the ASIO drivers that came with the focusrite. These do not work unless used with the focusrite, so you need to try changing the audio systems available within reaper till you find the one that works best. If you have the option to use WASAPI, that is probably your best bet.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
osmon77

it's only when I don't have the focusrite connected, I've tried all the options (where it says audio system, wdm kernel streaming(windows xp) direct sound, wave out, dummy audio and wasapi (windows 7/8/10/vista)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:23 AM   #4
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmon77 View Post
it's only when I don't have the focusrite connected, I've tried all the options (where it says audio system, wdm kernel streaming(windows xp) direct sound, wave out, dummy audio and wasapi (windows 7/8/10/vista)
download ASIO4all

https://www.asio4all.org/

Then chose this when you're NOT using the focusrite drivers.

usually works fine, you'll get a system try icon you can click on to change the buffer settings etc

On some systems I've had live VST instrument playback working great @64 samples with on board sound on others it's needed higher buffers , but generally it works well for using on bord sound with Reaper.

M
Old 08-13-2022, 01:32 AM   #5
osmon77

thank you, I'll give it a try, thanks guys I appreciated
Old 08-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
MiddleC

I'd be surprised if that works... my admittedly paper-thin understanding of asio4all is that it simply wraps a driver in another driver. But then who knows? Maybe it short circuits additional cruft by doing so? Like unwanted DSP stuff?
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
I'd be surprised if that works... my admittedly paper-thin understanding of asio4all is that it simply wraps a driver in another driver. But then who knows? Maybe it short circuits additional cruft by doing so? Like unwanted DSP stuff?
it works very well, as I said I've been able to run live VIs from my laptop @64 sample buffer using ASIO4all before now on live shows when I had ground loops from my audio interface the odd time doing festivals when they have 'dirty' power.

I still use it today if I'm traveling and don't want to take an audio interface on the plane/train/tour bus if i want to mix/edit a project.

I have a new intel 12900 laptop with 32 gig of DDR5 ram and 2TN NVMe drive and I can run my studio projects using asio4all when traveling.

M
Old 08-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #8
MiddleC

Not knocking it at all. If your drivers are good enough, wrapping them in asio4all is a good answer for compatibility. I just mean that if the drivers underneath are already having issues keeping up, asio4all probably won't fix that.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:27 AM   #9
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Not knocking it at all. If your drivers are good enough, wrapping them in asio4all is a good answer for compatibility. I just mean that if the drivers underneath are already having issues keeping up, asio4all probably won't fix that.
well, I've never been able to run anything well on the included sound cards on a windows laptop using any of the non ASIO drivers available in reaper. We're usually talking realtek audio devices here. It just runs like sh*t .

Installing ASIO4all means an ASIO driver for the on board sound device , which, wrapper or not, means everything now will run smoothly. I've done this on 4 windows laptops now over the past 10-15 years , all of which have performed very well hence my recommendation to the OP

Have you tried ASIO4all yourself? just wondering if you're comments are from your own personal experience which haven't been good.

M
Old 08-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #10
MiddleC

Yes, but not in the last couple of years. The last time was when I pulled my StompIO off the shelf and discovered it didn't have ASIO drivers, and users were actively referred to ASIO4ALL.

Realtek is a good example of what I meant. There's the core drivers themselves, and then there is the layer that provides a bunch of intermediary processing, accessed through that awful control panel. That's the "cruft" I was referring to.

ASIO4ALL is a wrapper - but if it's ignoring that middle layer, and talking only to the core drivers, I can see that being very beneficial.