Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-28-2022, 05:42 AM   #121
jansen
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Congrats JerZee! I'll be in contact shortly about picking a song for next month's contest.

How did you all feel about voting on so many mixes at once? In the past I've tried to break the contest into rounds, but it was not a popular approach.
I felt it was doable, but I admit I spent less time on each mix and focused more on the general sound than on details. I still think rating every mix is the best approach, but if this contest expands even more, it might get problematic...

I'm also a bit disappointed that there were only 19 voters for 30 participants. I appreciate this is time-consuming but I feel this is very much part of the contest.
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:45 AM   #122
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen View Post
I felt it was doable, but I admit I spent less time on each mix and focused more on the general sound than on details. I still think rating every mix is the best approach, but if this contest expands even more, it might get problematic...

I'm also a bit disappointed that there were only 19 voters for 30 participants. I appreciate this is time-consuming but I feel this is very much part of the contest.
Agreed...not fair to compete but lay out of voting. Nobody gets anything from this without the feedback they need to improve. Very much disappointed as well.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:13 AM   #123
jax

Quote:
How did you all feel about voting on so many mixes at once? In the past I've tried to break the contest into rounds, but it was not a popular approach.
It was easy...
...for first 10 mixes. Then it was a bit harder, but made it

But what's interesting, after scoring a few first mixes I already knew what was wrong with my own mix. I was thinking: "Damn... this is how you deal with low end" or "This is how the snare is supposed to sound!"

So today's comments were not a big surprise

Thanks to all participants! Now it's time to look into your projects. I'm curious about some techniques!
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #124
BanzAndrey

Congratulations to the winner!

A detail to be taken into account is that the ''Voter 9'' that was supposed to be me, isn't it, some observations on the toms, for example, I don't remember having done, including notes on reverbs
BanzAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #125
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanzAndrey View Post
Congratulations to the winner!

A detail to be taken into account is that the ''Voter 9'' that was supposed to be me, isn't it, some observations on the toms, for example, I don't remember having done, including notes on reverbs
Voter # isn't the same as Entry #, Voter # is in the order votes came in. Entry # is randomized.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:36 AM   #126
Dex

Quote:
It was a little on the annoying/difficult side, but I think it was better than any alternative.

I liked getting all the feedback.

Congrats to JerZee. I'm really looking forward to diving into a few of these project files.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #127
Djmajik

Quote:
Congrats JerZee! I'll be in contact shortly about picking a song for next month's contest.

I broke it into a couple days of listening then reviewed each mix briefly to make sure I agreed with my comments. Congrats, JerZee! I really liked yours! Only thing I’m disappointed in is only 19 comments for 31 mixes.
Djmajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #128
JohnMiears

Congratulations JerZee! And appologies for everyone that endured my outlandish guitar screw up in verse 2. As far as breaking the voting up, as much as I enjoy the feedback from everyone I would be hard pressed to say I was truly giving it my all listening to every mix this time, its hard not to get fatigued. Either way I'm ready for May
JohnMiears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #129
Trogdor

Wow, I made 2nd place. I literally mixed that in just a few hours. I kept it really simple and straight forward. If you look at my mix, you will see this.

I find people new to mixing tend to do too much and more than what is needed. Adding plugins for the sake of adding plugins. Compressing and EQing when it my not be needed. That is the hard part. Over mixing too much. I used to be that way and it is very hard to get out of that way of thinking. You can tweak until the cows come home.

Going in this very late didn't give me much time and so I had to make decisions quick and work quickly, which so far I guess has given me the best results. Also automation and de-essing are so important on vocals.

Quote:
The part I hate the most about this contest is the voting and commenting part. I would be interested in paying if we had a few name professionals vote on the mixes. Guys like Warren Huart and Marc Daniel Nelson for example would be awesome. Haha wishful thinking.

There were 30 entries which is the most I have ever seen and it is a lot to vote and comment. I voted and commented on every mix. Too bad 11 people submitted mixes but didn't even vote or comment. Disappointing.

Sorry if some of my comments were harsh in any way, it is what it is. I hope it helps some people. The thing is, I nor anyone else here are probably not experienced enough at critiquing mixes and be able to tell someone what is right or wrong hence why we are here mixing in this. Listening to all of the mixes, to me it seems that people are mixing in very different environments. Could be headphones or speakers in untreated/treated rooms. These things will skew a mix and will also skew on how a mix is critiqued as well.

By the time I am done listening to all of the mixes and grading and commenting, I am so sick of the song that I don't want to hear it again.

Anyways, great job to all and thanks again for having this context. Love the site. Very well made.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:33 AM   #130
LCM!

Several things to learn this month, not the least how good this song has to be when I still enjoy it after dozens (hundreds?) of hearings.

To tell you the truth, rating 30 mixes pushed my ears to the limit, although didn't compromise my "skill" to match the ranking: the 9 top mixes are in 0.36 points (less than half a star), and they were my top picks as well (in different order, though).

Not sure if the current system of voting would be feasible in case our contest (Daryll's contest, sorry) keep growing. What if we have 50 mixes in future months? I regularly take part in another contest where the provider of the tracks is who has to rate the mixes (around 70 each month), and it usually takes them weeks to only cut the top 15. Anyway, I wouldn't be in favor of a round system, initially.

Regarding those contestants who didn't comment or vote I'm sorry for them because this is one of the most important parts of this learning experience: to evaluate the mixes of others and to compare with yours.

Finally, greetings to the 3.47 gang, we rock it! ;-D
LCM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:20 AM   #131
darjama

As a defense of those who didn't vote, it was a daunting task this month, and we did have a lot of new participants. I can understand being nervous about sharing feedback the first time around. Hopefully if they come back for future contests they'll feel more comfortable leaving comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
Not sure if the current system of voting would be feasible in case our contest (Daryl's contest, sorry) keep growing.
This is definitely a community contest. Dave started it, I'm just the current caretaker.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:27 AM   #132
JerZee

Default missing comments

I see on the website only the comments from participants #1 to #19. The rest is missing. Maybe it is my browser but I tried different computers. I have made comments on all songs and now I can´t see them I hope others can.
JerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #133
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZee View Post
I see on the website only the comments from participants #1 to #19. The rest is missing. Maybe it is my browser but I tried different computers. I have made comments on all songs and now I can´t see them I hope others can.
Voter # isn't the same as Entry #, Voter # is in the order votes came in. Entry # is randomized.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #134
JerZee

Quote:
I mean voter in the commentlist. It goes from 1 to 19 than it stops.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #135
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZee View Post
I mean voter in the commentlist. It goes from 1 to 19 than it stops.
There were only 19 votes with comments submitted. Did you forget to hit submit?
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #136
JerZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
There were only 19 votes with comments submitted. Did you forget to hit submit?
Ah, found my comments in the list!! I was confused with the numbering. Now I understand.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #137
Tukan_Studios

Quote:
The contest rules are no external effects with the exception of jsfx that you need to include with your submission. The context is in-the-box only, If I render a mix from your project file, it should null when phase flipped with the flac you submit. You shouldn't be exporting and importing back into reaper. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
I just read this... As for TUKAN plugins (JSFX) some will not null. Some plugins have randomness to their audio code to simulate analog inconsistencies.
Tukan_Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:44 PM   #138
Punchipum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukan_Studios View Post
I just read this... As for TUKAN plugins (JSFX) some will not null. Some plugins have randomness to their audio code to simulate analog inconsistencies.
Good point to note!
Punchipum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:25 AM   #139
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukan_Studios View Post
You're right of course, and I'm not usually null-testing stuff, but the goal is that your project file should be the same as your mix. If you master in a separate project file you should include that as well, though I'd prefer mastering happen in the same project file.

I do plan on not requiring the mixed audio file at some point, to make mixcheck a required part of the process, and to handle the renders myself just to make sure the project file represents what you hear.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #140
MisterGTR

Congratulations to JerZee.

And also to whomever picked up on my rushed attempt to replace trackspacer in my Scheps/RearBus template! Amazing (to me atleast) that you can hear that. Some of you guys have very good ears. Thank you for all the feedback.

My winner finished 10th..so there's something to be said for my internal calibration being a bit off

As for listening to all the tracks. I'm happy to do that. It's a small price to pay as far as i'm concerned. But i'm happy to do whatever. It's great practise for me as a songwriter/producer to bring my mixing skills up. So i'm appreciative of whatever is decided. Thanks again
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:48 PM   #141
Broken Glass Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
Congratulations to JerZee.

And also to whomever picked up on my rushed attempt to replace trackspacer in my Scheps/RearBus template! Amazing (to me atleast) that you can hear that. Some of you guys have very good ears. Thank you for all the feedback.

My winner finished 10th..so there's something to be said for my internal calibration being a bit off

As for listening to all the tracks. I'm happy to do that. It's a small price to pay as far as i'm concerned. But i'm happy to do whatever. It's great practise for me as a songwriter/producer to bring my mixing skills up. So i'm appreciative of whatever is decided. Thanks again
Hey that was me. I use rear bus often, so I know that sound when something goes haywire with the settings!
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:20 AM   #142
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass Audio View Post
Hey that was me. I use rear bus often, so I know that sound when something goes haywire with the settings!
I usually use it with trackspacer on my template, and have it very subtle 10% IIRC but only a few few DB in reduction mostly in the mid channel, obviously in the vocal range. But no excuses...if you're gonna do it...do it right...as some dude once sang!

And it shows you how far i have to go in my journey, when i don't hear things like that or slightly pitchy vocals, as if they were tearing at my soul

Thank you once again!
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #143
Broken Glass Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
I usually use it with trackspacer on my template, and have it very subtle 10% IIRC but only a few few DB in reduction mostly in the mid channel, obviously in the vocal range. But no excuses...if you're gonna do it...do it right...as some dude once sang!

And it shows you how far i have to go in my journey, when i don't hear things like that or slightly pitchy vocals, as if they were tearing at my soul

Thank you once again!
That’s a cool idea. Gonna try it with track spacer myself!
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #144
SeriousTube

I'm brand new to daws and to Reaper. I've heard about both for a long time but never took the plunge to see what it is all about. Clearly Reaper is the way to go so I got my evaluation copy. How will I ever get to even a beginner stage though? First I watched a bunch of videos and figured out some basics such as how to move around and to insert tracks.

I ran across the reamixed.com site. What a way to learn! I can hear what others have done and look at what they have done to do it. This month's contest was a bit too intimidating for me as a first project. All those synth tracks and it isn't the sort of stuff I usually listen to. So I looked at the archives. I found the April Contest with Amy Helm and Rescue Me. For what it's worth here is the mix and project I came up with.

Now I feel a bit more prepared to try this month's contest. The end of submissions date is 9 days from now so maybe I can put it together. Thanks for the person who runs the reamixed site and for the other people entering mixes for giving me a fun way to learn.
SeriousTube is offline   Reply With Quote