Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old Today, 05:42 AM   #18521
Puck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
My iPad mixer, some 90% complete:

https://atmanactive.me.uk/temp/AA_iPad_Mixer_v0.9.1.JPG

Big thanks to Geoff Waddington, Funkybot and MixMonkey. Without your work this wouldn't be possible.
Looking great! Nice job! ď-SoloĒ for ClearAllSolo is smart! (Well I assume thatís what itís for)

I pmíd you a while back when you mentioned you were doing this to see if you wanted to see my OSC layout. Im sure you just didnít see the message. Iíve been working on mine for way too long Nice to see you made quick work of yours!
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #18522
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Looking very nice!
Thanks!
You deserve half of the credit, you gave me solid foundation to build upon. If I had to start from scratch this thing would take years.

Quote:
Increasing the size of the buttons obviously aids usability
I had to. My meaty fingers couldn't comfortably pinpoint elements smaller than 50px≤ on a 10" tablet. I was test driving your build for weeks and, of course, whenever I wanted to, for example, solo a track and hit mute instead, the frustration grew bigger, until a point where I decided to do my own remix.

Quote:
do you have any plans for the FX section? on another page perhaps?
I deliberatly limited myself concerning few things: no rec-arm for tracks and no FX control beside simple view/open/bypass. My use case is for mixing aid next to my big monitor where arrange/TCP is running.

Quote:
Incidentally, credit must also go to @puck, I used several of his ideas in the mixer.
Thank you @Puck!

Last edited by AtmanActive; Today at 06:00 AM.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #18523
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I pmíd you a while back when you mentioned you were doing this to see if you wanted to see my OSC layout.
Argh, I apologize, Forum's new-private-message-notification is completely broken on my browsers. Now that you told me, now I see it sitting there in the top left corner.
Old Today, 06:01 AM   #18524
MixMonkey

Quote:
I had to. My meaty fingers couldn't comfortably pinpoint elements smaller than 50px≤ on a 10" tablet. I was test driving your build for weeks and, of course, whenever I wanted to, for example, solo a track and hit mute instead, the frustration grew bigger, until a point where I decided to do my own remix.
I hear that! I started by working out the smallest button I could reliably push, but this really only applies if you're holding the tablet. If you put it on a stand further away from you, the buttons (and text) need to be larger.

I confess my motivation for building it in the first place was less as a production tool and more as a way of testing CSI features/builds/ideas without needing to power up the studio to do it, just using the laptop and iPad. I'm glad it's been helpful in building something more useful

Quote:
I deliberatly limited myself concerning few things: no rec-arm for tracks and no FX control beside simple view/open/bypass. My use case is for mixing aid next to my big monitor where arrange/TCP is running.
...and this is the key to success. Work out what you need the thing to do first and just implement that. Otherwise all you'll do is endlessly second guess yourself.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #18525
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Very tasty indeed !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #18526
AtmanActive

Default Touch Modifier many-to-one relation

I really hate to be that guy, but it seems like I always stumble upon something that's not working as I imagine it should after reading the docs (wiki).

Please note: I just need to dump it here so it's not stuck in my brain. This doesn't mean I want to complain or request stuff. It is just a record of my experience.

With that out of the way, here we go:

So, reading about modifiers, and about Touch, I got the idea to build a dedicated display to show the full track name while the fader is being touched.

First I tried (many-to-one):
Code:
Zone "Track"
  Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName TrackNameDisplay
but that didn't work. What I've noticed is that only "Track 1" was shown on the display, but no other tracks. OK, I'm obviously expecting too much, moving on.

Then I tried (one-to-one):
Code:
Zone "Track"
  Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName| TrackNameDisplay
Code:
Widget TouchedTrackName1
    FB_Processor /TouchedTrackName1
WidgetEnd

Widget TouchedTrackName2
    FB_Processor /TouchedTrackName2
WidgetEnd
with hidden displays in TouchOSC and using LOCAL message type to forward the information to a special, visible label element.
That didn't work either. It works once when I first touch the fader, but never again after that.
My suspicion is that CSI caches the value of displays and doesn't update them when the value doesn't change. And, on the other hand, there is no Touch-OFF hook so I can't reset the value in any way.

So my idea of Touch Modifier many-to-one relation is, for now, dead in the water.
Unless I'm missing something?
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #18527
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

I really hate to be that guy, but it seems like I always stumble upon something that's not working as I imagine it should after reading the docs (wiki).

Please note: I just need to dump it here so it's not stuck in my brain. This doesn't mean I want to complain or request stuff. It is just a record of my experience.

With that out of the way, here we go:

So, reading about modifiers, and about Touch, I got the idea to build a dedicated display to show the full track name while the fader is being touched.

First I tried (many-to-one):
Code:
Zone "Track"
  Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName TrackNameDisplay
but that didn't work. What I've noticed is that only "Track 1" was shown on the display, but no other tracks. OK, I'm obviously expecting too much, moving on.

Then I tried (one-to-one):
Code:
Zone "Track"
  Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName| TrackNameDisplay
Code:
Widget TouchedTrackName1
    FB_Processor /TouchedTrackName1
WidgetEnd

Widget TouchedTrackName2
    FB_Processor /TouchedTrackName2
WidgetEnd
with hidden displays in TouchOSC and using LOCAL message type to forward the information to a special, visible label element.
That didn't work either. It works once when I first touch the fader, but never again after that.
My suspicion is that CSI caches the value of displays and doesn't update them when the value doesn't change. And, on the other hand, there is no Touch-OFF hook so I can't reset the value in any way.

So my idea of Touch Modifier many-to-one relation is, for now, dead in the water.
Unless I'm missing something?
Your code for the one-to-one case looks right.

The fact that it works on first press seems to verify that.

Seems like TouchOSC may not be sending a release message upon lifting your finger, might want to check into that using the CSI monitoring Actions in Reaper's Action list.

The CSI caching may also come into play here.

Most use cases for this functionality override an existing behaviour:

Code:
    DisplayUpper|            	TrackNameDisplay
    Fader|Touch+DisplayLower| 	TrackVolumeDisplay
For your use case, maybe try something like:

Code:
    TouchedTrackName|            	FixedTextDisplay " "
    Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName| 	TrackNameDisplay
and see what happens.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #18528
Funkybot

And for the record, if the wiki is incomplete or needs updating somewhere, never worry about being "that guy". I strongly encourage everyone to post here about where the wiki is unclear/incorrect/ectc. I've noticed a sharp decline in "how do I do this" type of posts and I hope that's just a sign that the new Wiki is doing its job.
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #18529
norbury brook

Quote:
My iPad mixer, some 90% complete:

https://atmanactive.me.uk/temp/AA_iPad_Mixer_v0.9.1.JPG

Big thanks to Geoff Waddington, Funkybot and MixMonkey. Without your work this wouldn't be possible.
Looks great , this might be useful for me when recording alone as use as a remote.

Does it work over Wifi?

M
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #18530
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Looks great , this might be useful for me when recording alone as use as a remote.

Does it work over Wifi?

M
Yes it does.

Although, for that purpose I tend to use Reaper's Web Control Interface. It's easier to setup and has device browser's built-in screen-size adaptability. Feel free to ask more about this if you're not familiar with it.
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #18531
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
For your use case, maybe try something like:

Code:
    TouchedTrackName|            	FixedTextDisplay " "
    Fader|Touch+TouchedTrackName| 	TrackNameDisplay
and see what happens.
Brilliant!
This is working like a charm.
So I was missing a way to reset it and thus force CSI to send the value again and this is exactly what assures that.

@Funkybot: if you agree, I believe this little trick deserves it's place in the Wiki.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #18532
JP_

Hey everyone!

I had a couple of questions regarding the x-touch compact and csi.

1: Is it possible to use csi with the x-touch in standard mode (not mcu) so that all the rotaries can be programmed etc?

2: When swapping to sub zones, is it possible to make each zone "exclusive" so it takes control of the x-touch and ignores all other inputs not relevant?

For eg; if I had zone 1 using Rotary1 and Zone 2 using Rotary2, is it possible to make zone 2 ignore inputs of rotary1 so that you couldn't input and control zone1 when you are in zone 2?

When working on panels with lots of sub zones, not every panel uses the same controls, so it's possible to accidentally knock or change a control that isn't being used in that zone but it'll change the controls on another zone in the background etc.
JP_ is online now   Reply With Quote