Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Favre95
Human being with feelings

Default Recording track by itself while hearing other track(s).

Hey everyone, I'm new to reaper and the recording world for the most part. I do like to think I have a basic understanding of things. But I for the life of me have been searching for 2 days and haven't really found anything to help me.

Here's what I'd like to do...and I'm sorry if this has been answered 100 times. But let's say for simplicity sake say I have a track recorded of guitar in lane/track 1. What I'd like to be able to do is playback that guitar track while recording drums or another instrument into its own lane/track by itself without the guitar track being included with the new instrument. I want the new instrument by itself. I keep getting every other track already recorded included with the one being recorded and it is driving me batty. Is this possible?

I have installed the asio4all to help with latency already. But any help would be greatly appreciated as I have searched and played with setting to no avail.

Thanks everyone.
Favre95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
dtrud0h

Sounds like you are set up with one or more of your tracks as folder tracks. A track that is set to be a folder will collect all the audio /midi of any track below it. Either that or you are routing the audio of higher numbered tracks through lower numbered tracks.
Look at the tcp ( the left hand side of reaper) and along the edge of the controls nearest the tracks that contain the music you'll see a small folder icon, click it. If the left hand edge of the control area in the tcp is not a straight line from top to bottom you have a folder above and it is collecting the audio of those below it.
dtrud0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Favre95

I tried this with the folders and it didn't seem to change anything.

What's happening is, if this helps explain it a little different. If I have 1 track recorded (guitar). And then If I create a new track and arm it to record. Then click record. I hear what's on the first track to monitor it, but it then also records what I'm hearing from the first track onto the second track and reaper is mixing it with whatever I'm recording(drums). So instead of just having a track with just drums that's in time with the guitar. I have a track with both guitar and drums. So in the end I have a track with just guitar and one with guitar and drums. When I want one with guitar and one with drums.

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if my settings aren't correct. But it's driving me a bit crazy cause it's probably something simple and I'm just not seeing it. Again any further suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Alistair S

What's the input device on your armed track?

If it's "Stereo Mix" (or a name like that), there's your problem.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
dtrud0h

Gonna take a wild guess here.
You are using a laptop, you don't have an audio interface and are using the built in soundcard to record with.
If that's the case then monitor with headphones. Sounds like your recording input is picking up the tracks playing (the ones already recorded) while you are recording another track.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Favre95

I am using a laptop interfaced with a peavey mixer (pv14)through its USB port. I figured this would be as good as buying a 2 channel/stereo interface...no?

I was able to play with it some more last evening. What I found was that when I went into the ASIO settings it gave me "Codec 1" and "Codec 2" on both the input and output drop down lists. What I'm wondering is if the mixer is limiting my ability and I need an interface? Because I can play with those codecs and get one channel of playback and one channel of recording to do what I want it seems, but not both. Maybe this will shed a bit more light on what's happening. Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
rightonthemark

i recall researching those peavey mixers before buying the pv6 and found that this was an issue.
i ended up getting the one without the usb port as i just wanted to use it as a premix for drums going into my old usb interface (roland/cakewalk ua1g) using the rca stereo jacks.
i don't recall if anyone found a remedy but maybe try panning your previous recorded track to one side and panning the track you're trying to record to the other side (on that track also pan the mixer channel as well).
not sure if it's the stereo mixer putting both tracks together within the stereo mixer or not but worth a shot if you haven't tried it.
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
dtrud0h

Well, thankfully there's ebay and a lot of cheap used audio interfaces available. Worth a shot if yours is causing you problems.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:27 AM   #9
Whitek

Hi, I was having the same problem with my Yamaha MG10XUF and also MG12XU mixers when using them as audio interface. I figured it out eventually. It was not the problem of Reaper (such thing like recording other tracks into the armed one is not a default Reaper or sound card setting) as it was a problem of the mixer/audio interface - it is called loopback, which is the case when the DAW records everything going out of the mixer/interface output via USB. The interface or mixer should have setting that affects this behaviour and this can vary from device to device.

Basically you have to stop sending the full stereo mix into the interface/mixer output (typically USB if we consider sending it digitally to the computer) and only send out the recorded channel (or channels if there are more).

For example the tiny Yamaha AG03 or AG06 has a "loopback" switch that controls it.

On bigger mixers it is done differently. On the Yamaha MG12XU it is done by sending the monitoring mix into Groupe 1-2 output (which is send to my hedphones for listening the full mix) while only the recorded channels are sent into the main stereo mix output heading back to the computer via USB. See this image https://ibb.co/PY771Dg

The Yamaha MG10XUF does not have Group 1-2 output, but there is a "Mute" switch next (pressed down to mute)to the Monitor/Phones volume knob and "To Mon / To Ste" switch next to the 9/10 volume fader (pressed out to mono - I think) that together do the trick. See this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RxzAC0WiI&t=125s.

Hope that helps.
Whitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:34 AM   #10
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitek View Post
It was not the problem of Reaper
I've come to realize that, no matter how pissed off and adamant someone is when they post a "getting no sound" problem, it's almost never a Reaper problem.

By the way, you just revived a 9 year old thread. Nothing wrong with that, but you get more responses if you started a new thread.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:38 AM   #11
vitalker

On Windows you can just choose WASAPI Loopback mode as audio device.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #12
bigtop

I think your peavey mixer usb connection sends only master left and right. If you want multichannel recording you need a multichannel audio interface. There are multichannel out mixers ("mixerfaces") but they are more expensive.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the pv14 and it may be that routing options are available that may allow you to cheat your way into monitoring a reaper track but not outputting it. I doubt it though.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #13
bigtop

This thread is dead
Old 04-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
bigtop

Can't believe I wasted my time without checking the dates first. Live and learn.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Can't believe I wasted my time without checking the dates first. Live and learn.
You should always check the first message.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #16
Frank Lee Scarlett

You didn't even have to go to the first post. I said this just a few posts ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
By the way, you just revived a 9 year old thread. Nothing wrong with that, but you get more responses if you started a new thread.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:07 AM   #17
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You should always check the first message.
Sadly, I didn't.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:08 AM   #18
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
You didn't even have to go to the first post. I said this just a few posts ago:
Yes. You did! And I failed to heed your good advice.
I now face the terrible consequences 😉
Old 04-03-2022, 03:58 AM   #19
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Yes. You did! And I failed to heed your good advice.
I now face the terrible consequences 😉
I'd say it's a good lesson for you.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #20
rathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre95 View Post
I tried this with the folders and it didn't seem to change anything.

What's happening is, if this helps explain it a little different. If I have 1 track recorded (guitar). And then If I create a new track and arm it to record. Then click record. I hear what's on the first track to monitor it, but it then also records what I'm hearing from the first track onto the second track and reaper is mixing it with whatever I'm recording(drums). So instead of just having a track with just drums that's in time with the guitar. I have a track with both guitar and drums. So in the end I have a track with just guitar and one with guitar and drums. When I want one with guitar and one with drums.

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if my settings aren't correct. But it's driving me a bit crazy cause it's probably something simple and I'm just not seeing it. Again any further suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Can you not MUTE the Track you do not wish to record ? Then your Recording will have the only Track that is playing. You will press the "M" On your Track to Mute and Unmute.
rathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:16 AM   #21
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathon View Post
Can you not MUTE the Track you do not wish to record ? Then your Recording will have the only Track that is playing. You will press the "M" On your Track to Mute and Unmute.
How could they play in time with the previously recorded track if they mute it and can't hear it?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote