Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
skylar_battles
Human being with feelings

Default Record Modes Not Working Besides Normal

The other 2 modes do not work. The record button reflects the change of mode but the actual recording is in normal mode despite which mode is selected.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
skylar_battles

Trying to revive this... anyone else? I still can only use the normal record mode and the other 2 modes just behave as the default one.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:17 PM   #3
Daodan

Fine here.
btw time/item auto-punch modes will work as normal if there is no time/items selected.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
skylar_battles

Thanks for checking for me!

I'm aware, I've been making time and item selections when attempting to use the modes so there must be a bug. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
Daodan

Any extensions installed? Background scripts?
Old 08-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
skylar_battles

Here's what I have. What are background scripts?

Last edited by skylar_battles; 10-13-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
Daodan

Scripts that running in background. You’ll see them in Action menu as “Running script:…”. Click to terminate or run action to terminate all running scripts.

If you have all the packages from those repositories installed (bad practice I’d say), then there is a chance that you have a lot of unnecessary extensions installed.
I suggest you to temporary rename “User plugins” directory in Reaper resource folder to run Reaper without extensions.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
skylar_battles

I terminated all running scripts and the record modes are now working

Would you mind elaborating on the 2nd part of what you said? I always wont to be careful when touching the resource path and I don't understand how it would be beneficial in this case.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #9
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
I don't understand how it would be beneficial in this case.
Just to find out where the problem is. So if it was a running script you don’t need to disable extensions anymore. But I don’t know what extensions you have installed. Maybe one of them run or affect that buggy script. Maybe.
Btw renaming “User plugins” is quite safe. Reaper just stars as no extensions installed. You rename folder back and get all the extensions back.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
skylar_battles

Does the screenshot of the repositories not answer the question of which script I have installed? How do you disable extensions? I'm not sure if that's what I did with the action to stop all scripts. Are suggesting just renaming the folder once then reopening Reaper and renaming back to how it was prior?
Old 08-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #11
Daodan

No. Repository is like a warehouse with packages. Packages can contain scripts (which is LUA or ELL files, stored in Scripts folder after installation) or extensions (which is .dll files, stored in UserPlugins folder) or themes or whatever.

Usually you install them from ReaPack Browse packages window. Right click->Instal->Apply.
There is Display settings in the Browse packages window. For example you can filter list to see installed extensions only.

Otherwise there is a checkbox "Install new packages when synchronizing" in Manage repositories Options to automatically install ALL the packages from all imported repositories. It's disabled by default and I do not recommend enabling it unless you really know what you're doing and why.

Renaming UserPlugins folder is just a way to remove it without actually removing. Rename it (UserPlugins0 for example) and run reaper. Reaper will create new empty UserPlugins folder and run without extensions.
To bring extensions back just rename UserPlugins0 back to UserPlugins.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
skylar_battles

Ok, so repositories contains packages and packages contain scripts or extensions. That's helpful cause although I have SWS and Reapack I've had some confusion on which of the features that I use on Reaper come from where and still I'm not totally certain.

Interesting that you say it is disabled by default because mine is enabled and I do not believe I ever changed the setting.

So this way or renaming and changing back you are suggesting just serves as a way to do a type of reset to prevent bugs?
Old 08-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
So this way or renaming and changing back you are suggesting just serves as a way to do a type of reset to prevent bugs?
No, just to see if the bugs are caused by these extensions. If you disable extensions and the problems is gone than high chances that this was the fault of one of them.