Old 01-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #1
halfbeing
Human being with feelings

Default Monitoring your own processed voice

I have just been experimenting with the demo of Waves Tune Real-Time, which is not all that different from Autotune. I'm interested in extreme pitch correction artefacts (because I still think it is possible to do something creative with them despite their overuse) rather than just tidying up imperfect performances. The trouble is that I can't hear the processed signal returning from the computer through my headphones at all well over the sound of my voice going directly to my ears through my skull. Are there any tricks to help with monitoring in such a situation apart from using dangerously loud volume levels?
halfbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
bigtop

Running autotune in real time during recording could give rise to all sorts of ghastly latency problems and I think this may be what you're getting. Can't be sure though as I never used this.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

unfortunately, you can't turn off the direct audio connection between your scull and your ears (like selecting "local off" on a keyboard). You will always hear a mix between the pitched and the original signal. I guess that those plugins are rather supposed to be used live to correct the singer's pa signal (for the audience's benefits) and not his own monitor signal.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Running autotune in real time during recording could give rise to all sorts of ghastly latency problems and I think this may be what you're getting. Can't be sure though as I never used this.
That's another issue. My problem is simply that the sound of my voice arriving at my ears through my skull drowns out the sound of the signal coming through my headphones. While I know that you won't be able to silence the sound coming through your skull, I was hoping that there might be a trick for making it less noticeable and the signal through the headphones more noticeable (but without blasting my ears off).
Old 01-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
garanimals

Silly question probably, but are you using closed or open back headphones?
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garanimals View Post
Silly question probably, but are you using closed or open back headphones?
Well it's not a silly question! But I am using closed headphones.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #7
ThomasE

Try using noise cancelling headphones (wired, not bluetooth, for latency reasons). I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum that removes a lot of low-end in my own voice when I'm wearing them and they are turned on. Might be worth to try.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:19 AM   #8
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
Try using noise cancelling headphones (wired, not bluetooth, for latency reasons). I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum that removes a lot of low-end in my own voice when I'm wearing them and they are turned on. Might be worth to try.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.