Old 03-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #81
todoublez
Human being with feelings

I think "bal" its better to show "pan" instead.
more straight forward.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:29 AM   #82
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeck View Post
Really interested in being a part of the beta testing for this theme if there is room available. It all looks so clean and right down my alley. Excellent work!!
Hi, I'm glad to hear that, I put you on the list!
I have absolutely no requirements for people who would like to attend, as I'm trying to arrange a group of people using a variety of systems and also represent different user types (equally important), who have interest to test-run the theme, whenever it's ready for that

I notice you just joined the community, and it is only convenient for me to know if you are new to Reaper or may have been using for a longer time? What platform/OS do you use? If you prefer, feel free to send a PM ツ

Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 AM   #83
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
I think "bal" its better to show "pan" instead.
more straight forward.
Well yes, I changed the label text to Pan from Bal, which I use on stereo tracks. But as default, I’m not sure Balance is the most correct thing to display for everybody, do you think so? Also it could be different from user to user. The documentation refers to the default setting as a track pan button for mono tracks.

Btw, here’s an old thread on the topic:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22122

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-17-2020 at 04:43 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #84
tonybeepbeep

Am also up for beta testing on W10 when the 1080 version comes out
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 AM   #85
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Am also up for beta testing on W10 when the 1080 version comes out
awesome!
About the making of a 1080p version, I have done some testings, which are promising in order to do it semi-automatic and effectively. But it's not going to be like pushing a button and then it's completed. At this time I have to say it that I will not do it for the very first release. Also I believe the most wise thing would be to test and check the hidpi version first, then move on from there.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #86
PhelixK

here's a little gif I did some time ago, showing animation and function of the stereo pan knob, which I continue to evaluate. Probably more fun to look at than actually use, and at lower resolutions, the small font may look a little blurry.

Either way, if compared to the default version at instantiation, this one doesn't look cranked up, and it's convenient to have a clear indication when the signal is collapsed and inverted.

Also I really wish there was a way to organize labels and values in a different way inside the control panel, now they're flying all around..

Old 03-17-2020, 05:35 AM   #87
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
awesome!
About the making of a 1080p version, I have done some testings, which are promising in order to do it semi-automatic and effectively. But it's not going to be like pushing a button and then it's completed. At this time I have to say it that I will not do it for the very first release. Also I believe the most wise thing would be to test and check the hidpi version first, then move on from there.

Sounds fair to me. Been watching this thread like a hawk anyway as I love the look of the theme. Reminds me a lot of 1980s top notch HiFi equipment.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #88
todoublez

This might be off the topic but..

I'm always wondering that is it possible to assign an action or script on a button by themeing ...?
or is it possible to create a extra button on like TPC panel tat we can assign action to it?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #89
PhelixK

Quote:

I'm always wondering that is it possible to assign an action or script on a button by themeing ...?
or is it possible to create a extra button on like TPC panel tat we can assign action to it?
Good question, it would also be in my interest if possible with v6. Maybe better to raise this question on the big forum.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #90
jeck

Quote:
Hi, I'm glad to hear that, I put you on the list!
I have absolutely no requirements for people who would like to attend, as I'm trying to arrange a group of people using a variety of systems and also represent different user types (equally important), who have interest to test-run the theme, whenever it's ready for that

I notice you just joined the community, and it is only convenient for me to know if you are new to Reaper or may have been using for a longer time? What platform/OS do you use? If you prefer, feel free to send a PM ツ

Thanks! I am new to Reaper but not new to production. I never knew the power and flexibility of Reaper until I stumbled across a YouTube video about a month ago. I immediately purchased a license. I use Reaper on both Linux and Windows 10. I spend the majority of my time on Linux but if I need to do anything special with a particular VST then I hop on to windows to get what I need done. I'm a developer also, so when I discovered Reaper has it's own scripting language it was a no brainer for me to make the switch from Bitwig. The two things I love the most, music and programming, all in one convenient package!!! I'm also handy with design tools, although my creativity isn't top notch, the technicalities of using design software are covered 100%. I use Affinity products since I got fed up with giving my money away to Adobe every month.

Glad to be accepted at a chance to test drive this amazing product you're creating!! Thanks for spending your time for the benefit of the community, it goes to show how selfless you are! Keep up the great work.
jeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #91
Solar

Niiiiiiiiice, @PhelixK this Theme is really looking promising. Great Job Dev

Keeping an eye for sure. Very beautiful work. Thanks for your contribution and time in advance ;-)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #92
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Niiiiiiiiice, @PhelixK this Theme is really looking promising. Great Job Dev

Keeping an eye for sure. Very beautiful work. Thanks for your contribution and time in advance ;-)
Hi and thx! – struggling hard here to finish the last elements ツ
Old 03-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #93
PhelixK

I'm trying to activate this little symbol named "item-vol". If anyone could provide steps on how to turn it on, it would be a great help!!
- Reaper v6.05

Old 03-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #94
Luster

Quote:

There is a FR thread. An old thread unfortunately.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #95
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
There is a FR thread. An old thread unfortunately.
sad...

this feature would really change the game
Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #96
Luster

Quote:
sad...

this feature would really change the game

Then don't forget to chime in with a +1

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86084&page=3
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #97
todoublez

PhelixK

is it gonna have Separator layouts ?

I think the Separator (wide folder) layouts from LCS_ReFraction theme's design concept would b great on this theme also
Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #98
PhelixK

Quote:
PhelixK

is it gonna have Separator layouts ?

I think the Separator (wide folder) layouts from LCS_ReFraction theme's design concept would b great on this theme also
Yes, read down, I already made simple dividers for both track and mixer panel, I won't expand on those any further. I’m also working on another feature that can help organize projects with high track counts, hopefully more on that later. Furthermore v6 have features for using different borders in the mixer which can be used to organize as well.

Personally I prefer clean, no labeled or decorated separators, just plain blinds, and a combination of great scripts by MPL and Xenakios, to be able to quickly isolate a number of defined tracks.

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-19-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: - isolate!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 AM   #99
todoublez

Quote:
and a combination of great scripts by MPL and Xenakios, to be able to quickly isolate a number of defined tracks.
oh ?! which Script ? I never heard of it.
would like to check it out for sure
Old 03-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #100
PhelixK

Quote:
oh ?! which Script ? I never heard of it.
would like to check it out for sure
hi, actually it’s a combination of scripts including the SWS command parameters and Lokasenna “Show only specified tracks” (using GUI v2). Perhaps check that one.

The script from Xenakios is simply to edit and change prefix/suffix in track titles, and the MPL script is to delete a number of characters afterwards. Might seem complicated at first, but once set up, it’s possible to have a few buttons to show and hide a number of tracks that can be changed on the fly.

In the example here, the toolbar buttons ‘Blue’, ‘Green’ and ‘Red’ can be anything, like if I specify an instrument or a group of tracks with a color name as a suffix, only these will be showed in isolation when pushing ‘Selected’.

Last edited by PhelixK; 06-16-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #101
kaylec

This sounds really great - can I assume these buttons will be shortcut assignable - so I can add key commands to select them?
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #102
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylec View Post
This sounds really great - can I assume these buttons will be shortcut assignable - so I can add key commands to select them?
I haven’t created shortcuts myself but yes, it is possible for some of the functions, not all, unless using the same track filtering every time. And this is the reason for the other scripts to be able to quickly edit multiple track titles with a single user interaction.

If you explore the GUI script “Show only specified tracks”, you will see it’s able to export presets as actions. That’s how i created the three go-to buttons, and they can of course have a key cmnd.

I’m not saying this rather complicated setup is the smartest thing on earth, basically it is controlling Snapshots, but until now I haven’t come across anything that can do this behind the scenes.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #103
PhelixK

– dual pan, track divider, track icons, additional mixer thumbs

– midi editor and color map(s), new control buttons also for the Media Explorer

Most things are done now and I will focus on checking the theme on other systems before the first release.

At this point, the theme only works for HiDPI, which means that only 150% and 200% layout can be selected. I'm also planning a custom Theme Adjuster, but for the first release I think it's fine to make a duplicate of the default adjuster and rename it so it will become available from the Reaper top menu, and as a script.

Also completed:
– dual pan, different for tcp and mcp
– Midi Editor
– extra fader thumbs for the mixer
– special track icons

I would also love to do some new toolbar icons, but I'll stop here for now

As for the extra mixer thumbs with stronger color tag, I'm not sure how many will actually use them to color-code a complete project. Doesn't it create a big mess in the layout resources having many flavors? I mean, why not stick to regular track colors, or track icons like the ones in the screenshot here?

Midi, Notes and Events Editor is also complete, including new color maps and keyboard. Note that the gradient used for velocity has seven color variations with the most frequent shift in the mid-high range. This 'busy area' can of course be very different and dependent on hardware, instrument, settings, etc. I've checked by using a few hw controllers, my old Moog and a Push2, and it seems okay for all of them.

From what I've read and heard in discussions, people who spend time composing prefer a not-too-dark editor to prevent eye fatigue. I certainly don't consider myself an advanced composer, and I may have overlooked something important here, anyway I believe the contrast should feel comfortable to work with for longer time, and I will implement the same edition for future theme variants.

ETA: a few more weeks

Old 03-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #104
TonE

can we have protracker rainbow colors?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #105
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
can we have protracker rainbow colors?
sure, I'm also planning a variant for kids with Mickey Mouse pointing at levels and french fries for the piano key-bed )))

No, I'm just joking, what is your suggestion exactly, could you send a link to what you have in mind, Amiga?

edit, actually I have an idea for a Star Wars (inspired) theme, could be pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #106
kaylec

This is really looking great, can’t wait to try it out. Not sure if I’m an “advanced” composer, but I am a full time composer, and I like the contrast you have shown. And the piano keys are nice looking as well.
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #107
+NRG

Beautiful design!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #108
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
Beautiful design!
Thanks again +NRG,
– after experimenting with a much lighter version, I decided also to lighten up the basic dark version a little bit.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #109
PhelixK

just a short message here, to say that I have sent out PM to those of you who have expressed interest in testing the theme. /rgds.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #110
blumpy

Default dark theme

Quote:
Thanks again +NRG,
– after experimenting with a much lighter version, I decided also to lighten up the basic dark version a little bit.
great! I'd love to see a dark version.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #111
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
great! I'd love to see a dark version.
The first release is a dark variant, like this:

Old 04-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #112
PhelixK

As written in post #2: Note that images in this thread will be uploaded at full resolution and will appear gigantic if you browse the forum in standard mode. For a better reading experience: Log in to your account and select Reaper5 style from the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 PM   #113
p4thie

Hey man, I really love your work!

Just a suggestion... Routing button in the TCP can be just 3 dots like they are in the MCP; first one is green, second one is yellow, third one is blue. It's more consistent and stylish in my opinion. Also currently it looks like Mute/Solo button at a glance.

I'm not complaining or anything, just sharing my thought.
Looking forward to the official release!
p4thie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:09 AM   #114
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4thie View Post
Hey man, I really love your work!

Just a suggestion... Routing button in the TCP can be just 3 dots like they are in the MCP; first one is green, second one is yellow, third one is blue. It's more consistent and stylish in my opinion. Also currently it looks like Mute/Solo button at a glance.

I'm not complaining or anything, just sharing my thought.
Looking forward to the official release!
Hi and thanks for the interest!

- Yes, I have already done the track routing as what it looks like in the mixer, but mainly because the small letters look terrible in lower resolution. The theme also use the square ones, but only when it appears in 1x (1080p), where small details and tones are not crispy as with the Hi-DPI / Retina.

There are also other elements that are not suitable for lo-res. For example, some buttons do not have the detailed 'stepped' division (faked of course, but still useful).

Since the beginning, I've been trying to follow a visual concept of using not so many symbols, and more text inside the track control panel. This is why I like having the io button that shows M/aster, S/end and R/eceive. At a later point, I might change them also for the hi-res layout, as I do understand they can be mistaken for M/ute, S/olo, and perhaps R/epeat or R/everse (?!).

The mixer section is a different animal, and quickly becomes overcrowded and compact. Especially in this section, I have tamed down a number of elements as much as possible, to try to preserve a lightweight feeling across the interface.

Regarding other discrepancies, there are a number of elements that are not repeated and for various reasons. For example, in Media Explorer, the functions of the io button are not as rich as the other routing button, nor are the transport controls same as with the Main Transport, therefore they are differentiated.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #115
80icio

Loving the Theme !
I'm here for a beta test too!
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #116
Nostrap

Very nice looking theme. Would love to beta test as well
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #117
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80icio View Post
Loving the Theme !
I'm here for a beta test too!
Hi, pardon me for this very late answer, and thanks for the offer!
What are your system specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrap View Post
Very nice looking theme. Would love to beta test as well
Thanks to you as well! What system?

– I'm working on completing a new pre-release with some great features, maybe you both have an interest in helping to check that one.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #118
PhelixK

I’ve been working on a rather big improvement for the theme.

Here’s a couple of (huge) screenshots with examples of a big project, probably best suited for double screens, and perhaps with different resolutions. If you look close on the master fader in the first (lower) screenshot, there’s an important number in blue color

Old 04-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #119
Nostrap

Quote:
Thanks to you as well! What system?

– I'm working on completing a new pre-release with some great features, maybe you both have an interest in helping to check that one.

I'm on Windows 10. I have a 4k screen but it is "normal" pixel density since it is 43 inches. Would be willing to check out the new pre-release as well. I haven't made any themes myself from scratch but have modded quite a few and understand the process as well as how to modify rtconfig
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:36 AM   #120
sightlessness

I love the sliders.