Old 01-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #1
BenjyO
Human being with feelings

Default Slowly Rushing

Fellow Reaper users,

I hope you're doing well despite the ongoing chaos which this pandemic caused. I wish you a much better 2021.

Here's a new song of mine for your listening pleasure that was produced, mixed and mastered entirely in Reaper:

I hope you enjoy it.

Mixing/mastering tips and critique are most welcome. Still have a lot to learn.

Cheers!
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #2
ninjedi
Banned

Hello- had a good listen=really enjoyed this.
It just works for me..interesting play with the reversals? and all seems well balanced melodically/harmonically and technically production wise..
Great job-well done.
What else do you really need to learn?
ninjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
BenjyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjedi View Post
Hello- had a good listen=really enjoyed this.
It just works for me..interesting play with the reversals? and all seems well balanced melodically/harmonically and technically production wise..
Great job-well done.
What else do you really need to learn?
Thank you for your feedback ninjedi. Much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The reversals were an accidental discovery during production when using the "View: Move cursor left to grid division" action rapidly to move the edit cursor back (prefer using the keyboard for moving the cursor as much as possible). I really liked the sound so I bounced it and used it as a few samples

Regarding technical stuff: I am gladd it works for you. That means I must have done something right I believe however that in terms of mix/master quality I still have a lot of room for improvement. Compared to professional mixes I hear defincies but I cannot yet pinpoint them in my mix and correct them.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
Compared to professional mixes I hear defincies but I cannot yet pinpoint them in my mix and correct them.
That's normal.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
msundh

Who doesn't like nice harmonies?
Well done.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
karbomusic

Nice Job!
Old 01-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
BenjyO

Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
mschuster

Nothing short of amazing! Great job. I'm a big Pat Metheny / Lyle Mays fan.. heard elements of them all over the place. Gosh, I could listen to a whole album of this...
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
Dean Roddey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
Regarding technical stuff: I am gladd it works for you. That means I must have done something right I believe however that in terms of mix/master quality I still have a lot of room for improvement. Compared to professional mixes I hear defincies but I cannot yet pinpoint them in my mix and correct them.
Stop worrying about them. The problem with so much music today is that it has no deficiencies because they are edited out. It makes everything sound bland and undifferentiated. Flaws are what make music human and unique. Go back and listen to some of the greatest songs of popular music history and they are full of flaws and mistakes.

I've just stopped worrying about it altogether. I used to worry endlessly if I was using the right dithering method or if I bought this new mastering plugin or that bass maximizer blah blah blah, maybe it would make everything right.

Now I just don't worry about any of that stuff, and I don't edit or tune or master or use plugins if I can avoid it. Screw it. The bizarre thing is that music is supposed to be about the musician, but we've made it about almost everything else these days.

Anyhoo,that was my crotchety old man moment for today :-)
Dean Roddey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #10
Dean Roddey

Oh, and nice piece. I started out to say that but got diffused. There are various genres that I sort of think of as ASMR music. This piece sort of falls into that space.
Dean Roddey is offline   Reply With Quote