Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #441
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Hi folks. I’m just digging into Reaper’s handling of articulations right now. Can anybody tell me the current status of this project, and where I might get a hold of it to start getting familiar with it?

I’m also looking for a simple toolbar that will allow me to click, say, an icon for “ppp” and have it simultaneously insert the dynamic marking of “ppp” into the score and a CC 11 event of, say, 8. Has anybody written such a thing and if so where might I find it? Or there a more elegant way for “roughing in” a dynamic during sketching?
For now, you probably want to check out...

https://reaticulate.com/
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #442
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
For now, you probably want to check out...

https://reaticulate.com/
Thanks! I grabbed reaticulate a while back, but haven't dug into it yet.

I gather these are separate projects, this one in-Reaper so - how's the progress on this particular one, what was the latest news?
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #443
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Thanks! I grabbed reaticulate a while back, but haven't dug into it yet.

I gather these are separate projects, this one in-Reaper so - how's the progress on this particular one, what was the latest news?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that work on the native Reaper solution was stopped years ago and there's been no pubic indication it would be picked back up any time soon.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #444
kerryg

Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that work on the native Reaper solution was stopped years ago and there's been no pubic indication it would be picked back up any time soon.
It would be a shame if that's the case - I'll stay subscribed here just in case but also start checking out Reaticulate more closely. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #445
benf

Quote:
You're right. Ain't nothing new under Cockos's sun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg
It would be a shame if that's the case - I'll stay subscribed here just in case but also start checking out Reaticulate more closely. Thanks!
I think you're wise to do it.
Can't say it's a shame. Cockos developers team is just two guys and as long as I know Schwa said adding articulation code implies to dig deep inside Reaper.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #446
juliuskrakow

Quote:
Originally Posted by asai View Post
It seems like it could be a really good solution if Justin and schwa and Tack could open up some dialogue about getting Reaticulate more developed and maintreamed into Reaper. It seems like a possibility that could realistically happen.

Reaper development is really great, and I see it taking over a lot of more expensive DAWs due to the release cycle and the aggressive development of both devs, but more help could really take Reaper to new levels. Not necessarily for the sake of money, which Justin may already have enough of, and which doesn't seem to be his primary motive regardless, but to make this DAW even better in the spirit of excellence and service.

I've read Tack's source code and it's really well done. He's a good developer and he knows what he's doing. He could be a great addition to the Reaper team for this particular project.

I hope Justin and schwa will consider it.
+1 from me too!
juliuskrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #447
benf

Quote:
Nearly 3 years since last Schwa post on this subject.
Did they have enough feedback ?
Old 12-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #448
musicbynumbers

This is a feature I'd love to see still too.

Essential for most modern midi work.

Hoping it's still in the works!
Old 12-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #449
tusitala

Regretfully I had to move away from Reaper (still my favourite DAW and always in my heart &#128522 for the lack of this very feature. With today's sample libraries and their millions of articulations, it's simply not viable to write without some sort of articulation management system.
tusitala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #450
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
Regretfully I had to move away from Reaper (still my favourite DAW and always in my heart &#128522 for the lack of this very feature.
Did Reaticulate not work out for you? Was it because of the lack of notation integration?
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #451
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Did Reaticulate not work out for you? Was it because of the lack of notation integration?
Hi Tack, and thanks for your kind reply.
Unfortunately it didn’t, mainly because it can’t do this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=420

Happy new year!
-t
Old 12-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #452
pcartwright

Default Carticulate, a notation to MIDI system

Just a little teaser. This is a personal project, and I don't know how well it will fit into others' workflows. Still, I'll post a version soon-ish if folks would like to give it a test.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carticulate.JPG (37.7 KB, 1134 views)
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #453
tack

Quote:
Hi Tack, and thanks for your kind reply.
Unfortunately it didn’t, mainly because it can’t do this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=420
I suppose the "this" from the video is indeed the fact that the articulations are reflected in the notation editor. Yes, Reaticulate doesn't do this. I'd like to support notation, but IMO it's not currently fit for purpose due to Reaper limitations. If nothing else, I'd love to work with the Reaper devs to improve the situation to enable better notation support.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #454
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Just a little teaser. This is a personal project, and I don't know how well it will fit into others' workflows. Still, I'll post a version soon-ish if folks would like to give it a test.
Cool, I'm interested in taking a look at what black magic you've been able to work out.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:37 AM   #455
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I suppose the "this" from the video is indeed the fact that the articulations are reflected in the notation editor. Yes, Reaticulate doesn't do this. I'd like to support notation, but IMO it's not currently fit for purpose due to Reaper limitations. If nothing else, I'd love to work with the Reaper devs to improve the situation to enable better notation support.
Hi Tack,
No, notation support is great too (and I love that) but I was referring more importantly the fact that articulations are tied to the notes themselves, as if they were simply another parameter like velocity, rather than a separate "thing" that needs to be dealt with separately.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228884

All the best
-t
Old 01-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #456
Audio_Birdi

Quote:

Would love to try this out and see it how it works in-action too!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #457
Phazma

I just wish there was a GUI that allows to map articulations and access reaticulate features quickly without having to edit an external text file. I remember I have mapped some articulations of 1 library and it was a pretty lengthy and complicated process so I have left the many other libraries for when I have time to dedicate to this.. while silently hoping that either an update with a mapping-GUI, an archive where users upload finished banks for most of the common libraries or ideally a Reaper-integrated solution happen.

As neither of these happened I guess until I don’t find some time to set this all up I’ll have to keep working with keyswitches. This should in no way be a criticism to tack’s amazing work that helps out countless composers. It just means that for me so far the benefits didn’t justify the time to set it all up.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #458
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I just wish there was a GUI that allows to map articulations and access reaticulate features quickly without having to edit an external text file. I remember I have mapped some articulations of 1 library and it was a pretty lengthy and complicated process so I have left the many other libraries for when I have time to dedicate to this.. while silently hoping that either an update with a mapping-GUI, an archive where users upload finished banks for most of the common libraries or ideally a Reaper-integrated solution happen.
It's planned for v0.6 : https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1182
Think if all users were sharing their own banks, it would be easier. But it seems very few does it. Working on mine, I understand it in a certain way : will anybody be intersted in having Kontakt Library factory strings or brass banks ?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #459
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Think if all users were sharing their own banks, it would be easier. But it seems very few does it. Working on mine, I understand it in a certain way : will anybody be intersted in having Kontakt Library factory strings or brass banks ?
Ok thanks for linking the post, sounds promising! Thought a GUI wasn’t on the radar anymore.

I myself don’t use Kontakt Factory a lot, specially for strings and brass I have alternatives, but if you are making them anyway I am sure many users would appreciate if you share them, specially those new to Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #460
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
The VSL factory sound bank settings would be of great interest, and perhaps more
Old 01-04-2021, 12:19 AM   #461
hojo9595

Just a quick question from someone relatively new here, how active are the developers on this forum? It seems like a lot of the concerns people have with the development with Reaper could quickly be solved by a simple message from the developers explaining why a feature is not implemented, when a feature could be implemented, etc.
hojo9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:21 AM   #462
hojo9595

Tack, have you tried contacting the developers directly?
hojo9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:06 AM   #463
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo9595 View Post
Just a quick question from someone relatively new here, how active are the developers on this forum? It seems like a lot of the concerns people have with the development with Reaper could quickly be solved by a simple message from the developers explaining why a feature is not implemented, when a feature could be implemented, etc.
Well, that’s an interesting question. Reaper has a much greater community participation focus, facilitated by them being very open about their API etc. Short form, they’ve left a lot of stuff open for users to tinker with. If you hunt through the stash, or browse the ReaPack extension system, you’re going to see some absolutely brilliant stuff put together by users. But it’s their development.

So in that sense, although I know what you’re asking about is “official” word, the boundary between “user” and “developer” is far blurrier than it would be in a ProTools or Logic forum, And the development path - which you can see in the “bugs and features” subforum, or in the public betas of upcoming releases you can download from landoleet.org, Is actually quite a bit more transparent.

The tradeoff? Well, they’re a small team and they’re busting their butts writing software. So we don’t really expect them to be answering questions here a lot, seeing as a lot of answers to those questions can be collected by looking at the feature request status list. We are grateful when they do, but it’s not really the way the system’s set up to work.

All in all, it’s kind of a weird way of going about things, but it’s the Reaper way. I prefer it – it’s much more like CLab Notator was in the 80s, when we all knew the creators as “Gerhard” and “Chris”, before it became Emagic and then Emagic was sold and eaten by the vast corporate behemoth of Apple and excreted out as today’s glossy bloated Logic Pro where you can shout up the slopes at the gods on Olympus to no avail.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #464
krahosk

Quote:
Exactly!
Like this:

:-)
You can get an "almost" similar workflow with BRSO articulate for Reaper.
With the JS MIDI channel to keyswitch, it's just a question of assigning the keyswitch to the MIDI channel and the articulation is embeded to the note.
https://www.syntheticorchestra.com/articulatereaper/
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #465
tusitala

Thanks, I used to use the multichannel function in kontakt and assign different articulations to different midi channels.
But that only works with kontakt and unfortunately doesn't work for example with VSL VI Pro or Synchron player
Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #466
Audio_Birdi

Quote:

I was wondering if this is still being worked on?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #467
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Birdi View Post
I was wondering if this is still being worked on?
It absolutely is. It's taking a little longer than anticipated as I only really get to sit down work on it about an hour or two a day (and I am NOT a very skilled programmer).

Here's a run down of how it works currently (though the specifics could change).

There are effectively two maps that Carticulate reads from (a notation to CC map and a playback map). The script reads in the notation to CC map and associates notation entries in Reaper with CC values. Using Carticulate to enter the notation will automatically generate the appropriate CC value. Keep in mind that while this is primarily oriented around notation to MIDI, non-notation users can still benefit as notation text can be written to and read from the MIDI editor.

This is a good time to note that Carticulate is destructive in nature. If a CC lane is designated to interpret notation data then any spurious events will be erased. Users will be able to specify which CC lanes will be used for notation, but once used, any pre-existing CC data will be overwritten. Perhaps you can see from the image, but I plan to include some menu/drop-downs for overwriting MIDI data. But once it's overwritten, it's done (I haven't built in an undo feature into the automatic overwrite, and I'm not sure I will anytime soon).

Why use CC messages you may ask? Simple. CC values are "chased" on playback in Reaper. So, regardless of where you start playback, the appropriate CC value is sent ahead of any notes. There are a few other reasons why CC makes sense, but I'll get into those details later. There are also some downsides to the approach which I'm going to try to mitigate before I release the script, but I can't promise that.

If your samplers and synths only use CC messages to control sounds, then this is enough. However, most samplers and synths use a variety of tools to organize playback including keyswitches, MIDI channels, velocity, etc. This is where the playback map comes in.

The playback map runs through a JSFX and reads all incoming MIDI. The map can compare up to three CC values, note velocity, and note duration (yes, you read that right) to trigger additional MIDI values/changes. The duration piece is what I'm currently working on and its functionality may change the most between now and when I release Carticulate (there is still a bit of work behind the scenes to capture duration appropriately).

Thus far, Carticulate will include three scripts and one JSFX. There is the Carticulate script itself (which was pictured previously). There is also an associated script to edit the CC map and another script to edit the playback map.
While editing maps is a painful process for any articulation solution, I'm trying to build in a little ease of use and quality at map creation to avoid common pitfalls. Finally, the JSFX which is used to select the CC and playback maps for each track and trigger MIDI changes.

Last edited by pcartwright; 01-28-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #468
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
It absolutely is. Thus far, Carticulate will include three scripts and one JSFX. There is the Carticulate script itself (which was pictured previously). There is also an associated script to edit the CC map and another script to edit the playback map.
All of this sounds great! I may end up combining Carticulate and Reticulate to work work in tandem for both midi editor and notation editor if it's even possible at all based on the playback script in some way.

Is there a way to use hairpins for crescendos and such with Carticulate?

Thank you for the reply and for creating something awesome!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #469
pcartwright

Quote:
All of this sounds great! I may end up combining Carticulate and Reticulate to work work in tandem for both midi editor and notation editor if it's even possible at all based on the playback script in some way.
I'm not sure how practical that will be. Carticulate will use its own mappings (i.e. not program change mappings like Reaticulate), but you can certainly try it and see how it works out.

Quote:
Is there a way to use hairpins for crescendos and such with Carticulate?
Not yet, but I want to implement hairpin interpretation at some point. I'm not sure if it will be in version 1 though.

Quote:
Thank you for the reply and for creating something awesome!
Don't thank me yet! See how well it runs and how easy it is to use first.

Last edited by pcartwright; 01-28-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #470
Audio_Birdi

I do hope that once ReaSurround2 is fully worked on and released by the devs, that Articulation Maps is finally going to be worked on next! it would be amazing, as even Presonus Studio One and Cakewalk by Bandlab both have some sort of articulation maps feature built-in. Hoping Schwa / Justin have some sort of preliminary UI thought out after such a long time since we first saw this feature being worked-on / implemented. The text-based way was so fun in terms of just seeing articulations being able to be switched, natively within REAPER!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #471
krahosk

Quote:
I do hope that once ReaSurround2 is fully worked on and released by the devs, that Articulation Maps is finally going to be worked on next! it would be amazing, as even Presonus Studio One and Cakewalk by Bandlab both have some sort of articulation maps feature built-in. Hoping Schwa / Justin have some sort of preliminary UI thought out after such a long time since we first saw this feature being worked-on / implemented. The text-based way was so fun in terms of just seeing articulations being able to be switched, natively within REAPER!
I do hope some collaboration with Tack for all he offered to the community.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #472
benf

I do hope the both of you hope !
Old 01-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #473
Vagalume

Quote:
I do hope that once ReaSurround2 is fully worked on and released by the devs, that Articulation Maps is finally going to be worked on next! it would be amazing,
I do not understand why you are so optimistic, why in the next one? a hunch?
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #474
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
I do not understand why you are so optimistic, why in the next one? a hunch?
Because people keep bumping this thread. It is constantly near the top of the pre-releases subforum and thus under the eyes of the devs. It shows that the interest in this feature is very big and it would be logical that the devs tackle it asap.
My guess is that this is a pretty big and difficult feature to implement and the devs are working on it slowly and keep presenting us other things until it is somewhat ready and from then on it will be in dev versions for a long time (like razor edit).
But it is all just speculation.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:08 AM   #475
benf

Not sure Justin is sensitive to any kind of lobbying
Old 02-01-2021, 06:13 AM   #476
Kabraxis

Quote:
It shows that the interest in this feature is very big and it would be logical that the devs tackle it asap.
Well, although I'm in the wagon of a good Articulation manager, as a software (game) developer with 10M+ userbase, I'm very confident that there's no correlation at all between what's big/ASAP and what's a handful of vocal people are mumbling in forums.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #477
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
Well, although I'm in the wagon of a good Articulation manager, as a software (game) developer with 10M+ userbase, I'm very confident that there's no correlation at all between what's big/ASAP and what's a handful of vocal people are mumbling in forums.
Sure, the vast majority of users never post in the forum and only god knows what they would most likely appreciate. But Cockos seems to encourage feedback and the participation of it’s users in shaping the software which means they do care a lot about what we have to say.
Justin and Schwa certainly have their own vision of what Reaper should be and become and don’t blindly implement each FR just because some guy wants it if it doesn’t seem useful and in line with their ideas - which is a good thing. But I am sure they will rather consider and think about features that keep being requested all the time than niche features that only 1 or 2 people post about.
Hence why IMO the best thing to do if we desire an articulation mapper is keeping this thread alive, hoping that some day we will get one. And if we won’t then so may it be. At least there are fantastic solutions like tack’s script, which I think most of us would like to be the basis af a native mapper.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #478
krahosk

Quote:

To that I am looking forward to, sir!
Old 02-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #479
krahosk

Quote:
If you're working form the notation view, the articulation entry on the left (one entry) is much easier to read and work with than the articulation entry on the right (per note entry).

The bracket feature in Reaper solves this problem. Only if the bracket assigns MIDI instructions to the notes it covers though.

Last edited by krahosk; 02-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #480
Vagalume

Quote:
Because people keep bumping this thread. It is constantly near the top of the pre-releases subforum and thus under the eyes of the devs. It shows that the interest in this feature is very big and it would be logical that the devs tackle it asap.
My guess is that this is a pretty big and difficult feature to implement and the devs are working on it slowly and keep presenting us other things until it is somewhat ready and from then on it will be in dev versions for a long time (like razor edit).
But it is all just speculation.
Let's see if you are right ... according to your prediction Articulations maps should start now ... we'll see ...
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote