Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 10-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
ciros
Human being with feelings

Default Unwanted Copy FX actions accidentally happens during unresponsive GUI moments

In these years i have experienced a really annoying behaviour with Reaper. The situation is the follow: i'm working on a project, and at certain moments happens a temporary GUI freeze, glitch or delay. This happens when the machine couldn't smoothly/flawlessly cope with certain heavy user actions like, for example, unmuting multiple tracks at once or opening a complex vsti, etc..

In these cases, Reaper's GUI temporary starts to become unresponsive for instants or seconds: this is an expected behaviour, expecially working on complex projects with a modest machine.

However it's unexpected what happens when the user perform actions on GUI during this moments.

Reaper it's a wonderful DAW, and when the user starts to be in confidence with it the workflow becomes faster and faster, allows to performing actions at the same speed as the brain thinks them.

When the user accidentally performs actions during an unexpected GUI freeze, glitch or delay, strange things happens.
In my personal experience the most common are the unwanted "Copy FX" actions from one track to another, cause they happens at least one time in my every reaper session (really annoying)...

What happens in detail is that, for example, i unmute multiple tracks then i click on the FX button of a track for opening its FX chain then i move mouse pointer towards the FX chain that i'm expecting it will be displayed in a few moments: a completely normal behaviour for an user that has a good feeling with its DAW.

However, when the GUI becomes unresponsive for moments in the middle of these mouse actions the real input perceived by reaper will be a drag and drop of the FX button from one track to another: the result is that the FX chain of a track will be appended to the FX chain of another track (i.e. added at the end of the latter). Also the copy of one track fx chain to item fx chain happens sometimes, but less often in my experience.

The really annoying fact is that the user is not aware when these unwanted copies happens, but he will discover them (maybe) only in a future listening..

For coping this unwanted behaviour i use reaper with the undo history opened all the time, or i open it everytime the GUI becomes unresponsive for checking if an unwanted copy fx action has happended. Moreover, at the end of my every reaper session i check trought all the undo history... yeah, after hours of DAW working the undo history it's really long to scroll...

Makes the undo history searchable/filtered (feature already requested long time ago by more users) could be a really useful workaround, but i suppose that a real solution is about tweaking mouse responsivity time, or simply not to accept mouse inputs when the GUI becomes unresponsive.

I've searched this problem trought the forum but i didn't found nothing about.. anyone else experienced the same problems?

Thanks

Last edited by ciros; 10-05-2020 at 12:09 PM.
ciros is offline   Reply With Quote