Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 01-05-2020, 02:47 AM   #1
calimerox
Human being with feelings

Default need advice for multi channel installation

I have a 24 speaker circular array and i would like to have a "stereo pair" of sounds I can pan through that array. It does not have to be ambisonics, but maybe it would help. Is there any way to do that in reaper? I am on linux so I would be happy to not use Win VST s but if it would be possible with rea plugins. the sound does not have to be super accurate. If i could "just" pan through all the speakers I would be happy...

Thanks for any advice!
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
jm duchenne

Hi,
It is very easy with the ReaSurround : just place the two inputs where you want, select them (+ Shift) and use the Rotate knob to rotate them at once.
Other macro knobs can be usefull too, like Expand/Contract, but the result will depend on the Speaker Influence mode you have selected.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
calimerox

fantastic jm duchenne, thanks for that info.

this looks great!!

is there a way to write automation for that rotator knob? so for example i can automate a full circle motion in a specific period of time...

edit: i found that one out , I was not too familiar with the automation modes in reaper , i set it to touch and i can write automations by turning the knob

Last edited by calimerox; 01-05-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
calimerox

Hi guys, posting a follow up on this: i have difficulties setting this thing up:

I am making for test purposes a full circle of 6 speakers. then, when I pan around one mono source, I notice a weird thing: i can pan through all the speakers, but the "virtual speaker" A sends the signal always to the "real speaker" A and B.

same happens with virtual speaker B: this gets send always to real speaker A and B. All the other configurations are fine and they work well.

any idea where i can correct the exact routing of that speaker A? I tried everything... ;(

thanks!!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimerox View Post
Hi guys, posting a follow up on this: i have difficulties setting this thing up:

I am making for test purposes a full circle of 6 speakers. then, when I pan around one mono source, I notice a weird thing: i can pan through all the speakers, but the "virtual speaker" A sends the signal always to the "real speaker" A and B.

same happens with virtual speaker B: this gets send always to real speaker A and B. All the other configurations are fine and they work well.

any idea where i can correct the exact routing of that speaker A? I tried everything... ;(

thanks!!
I think, because it only affects A and B (not C, D, E, F, G?) it might be the built in track panner interfering. Just doing a simple test on my system, if I have the width set to less than 100% then I get A and B mixed into track channels 1 and 2. If it where to do with relative vs absolute influence then it would apply to all speaker feeds and not just the first two.
plush2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
calimerox

thank you so much for your comment!!!

it seems I have found it that way: I had to change the pan mode on the master mixer to dual pan, and now it seems to be fine!"
Old 03-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
plush2

You are welcome. Would you be willing to report back here on how it goes? I am coming back around to thinking Reasurround might be a very good solution for these problems. It would be nice to have a report on how it works out on a project like the one you are doing.
plush2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:39 AM   #8
calimerox

@plush2 yes of course. This is a job for an exhibition in the end of april so latest then i can report back and let you know how it worked all out! I originally wanted to do everything in ardour but one drawback in ardour was that the VBAP panners can not be automated (yet) in ardour. Reaper seems to be the ideal program for it, also because it is cross platform and i work on linux and the final computer running everything is a mac mini ...