Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine Mackie Control Template for Reaper / input output ports / gotta be a way

Posted this initially on the NI Forums... but being as this is the dedicated Reaper forum, maybe you guys can shed some light...

So I was messing with the MCU Template for Maschine MK3, and Studio. I enjoyed it. However... how can I get the MK3 to work as a generic Template (Reaper Actions), and be able to switch to the Mackie Control Template (which can easily be done via Maschine hardware), and have everything WORK? It's conflicting midi inputs and outputs, which stop me in my tracks, every time.

The Mackie Control Template works perfectly, when Maschine MK3's ports are NOT ENABLED as a MIDI Input (in PREFERENCES--- Devices / MIDI), but, ENABLED for Control Messages. It works perfectly.

But, being as I made a custom Template for my MK3 to control a million Reaper Actions (and which I've talked about in the MIDI Controller section of the forum, and demonstrated with a few videos)... which NEED to be enabled in the Devices / MIDI section (for Control Messages, as well)..... I want the flexibility to change Templates, without MIDI input/output enabling/disabling, constantly.

Do the MIDI IN and OUT ports (the 5-pin DIN ports on the MK3 and Studio) SEND and RECEIVE midi to and from (via MIDI cables) when you're NOT in Maschine Standalone? Or do they only send MIDI while in Maschine Standalone? In theory, wouldn't "Maschine MK3 EXT Midi" work, when setting up the MK3 in the Control Surface inputs and outputs, for Mackie Control Universal (or better yet, Klinke's)?

It seems you can only have one or the other. Non-Mackie Mode Templates (using MIDI Input / Enable Control Messages)... or Mackie Mode (Control Surface, using the Maschine MK3 In, MK3 Out ports), but not both.

Meh....

However, I was reading up on LoopBe, Midi-OX, and LoopMIDI, which I have installed all of. I messed around with creating two virtual MIDI ports that branch off from "Maschine MK3 In" and "Maschine MK3 Out". Initially, it seemed to work (I used LoopMIDI to create a virtual in and out)... but I can't ever "mirror" the midi ports with Midi-Ox.... like, "Virtual Maschine In" should allow me to route/mirror "Maschine MK3 In" but it won't let me. Mirroring the ports would be great because I wouldn't have the "midi input" conflict when setting the SAME midi device as a Control Surface and generic controller.

If I can do that, and filter out Midi Channel 1 from messages (because Mackie protocol uses MIDI notes on Channel 1, and Pitch Bend on Channel 1 for track 1/9/17/ etc...) then everything would work basically perfectly. Any thoughts on virtual MIDI port stuff? THANK YOU!!!

Any help/info is appreciated!

Last edited by themixtape; 09-28-2019 at 08:33 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
themixtape

buuuump
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 AM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
If I can do that, and filter out Midi Channel 1 from messages (because Mackie protocol uses MIDI notes on Channel 1, and Pitch Bend on Channel 1 for track 1/9/17/ etc...) then everything would work basically perfectly. Any thoughts on virtual MIDI port stuff?
There are several ways I know to preprocess Midi messages "on the fly":
- doing JSFX plugins in Reaper (Programming in EEL2)
- Using the free Cocos OSCIIBot software (Programming in EEL2)
- Using the payed Boeme Translator Pro software

The Translator provides a Midi Device ("virtual Midi port") created in the OS. With the others you need to use additional software for that (e.g. LoopMidi)

In a project of mine I use JSFX to preprocess messages from an XTouch Compact, send the result out from Reaper on a LoopMidi virtual Midi device, receive those by OSCIIBot, convert them there to OSC to be received by an XAir rack mixer. Of course the way back is done in the same way.

(Regarding the location this thread is posted, it's no wonder that there was no answer, as Reaper is not supposed to be "compatible" with any of the thousands of Midi weird controllers that are out there .)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-29-2019 at 12:48 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote