Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Tonehenge
Human being with feelings

Default Equator D5 Near Field monitors: RIGHTEOUS!

Take it from me...run don't walk to equatoraudio.com and order a pair of these direct at $299 pr before these folks come to their senses and start selling at $1k! 60 day no question refund policy as well.

I am so dramatically impressed with their performance...the utter rightness in their presentation, particularly in the midrange...but, top to bottom, one of the best near fields at any price I've heard...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
vicenzajay

Default Thanks...

for the recommendation...going to check them out myself (will make a nice addition/contrast to the Event mid-fields I mix on).

Jay
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Tonehenge

Default Interestingly....

Ted Keffalo, Equator's founder, was one of the founders of Event Electronics...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Untamed Spirit

still waiting for mine to turn up.
Hopefully I'll be able to agree with you when they get here.
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Smurf

A COAX based monitor for $300? You have GOT to be kidding!

I hate this economy..........
Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
A COAX based monitor for $300? You have GOT to be kidding!

I hate this economy..........
I'm not sure this is a criticism or a plaudit, but just in case you are thinking this is merely a car stereo speaker, think again! This is a purpose built transducer, coupled with some very sophisticated technology. I've been in this business all my working life, both in terms of consumer and professional audio, and I can tell you that this product is the brainchild of an engineering dept, not a marketing dept, and relative to other comparable products, is currently, and dramatically undervalued. I will say though, it has me wondering just how good the Equator Q series is. The D5 might be Equator's "gateway drug" so to speak.

Obviously, I'm delighted with my purchase, and it's highly unlikely I'm going to be looking for my "unconditional refund".
Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
Take it from me...run don't walk to equatoraudio.com and order a pair of these direct at $299 pr before these folks come to their senses and start selling at $1k! 60 day no question refund policy as well.

I am so dramatically impressed with their performance...the utter rightness in their presentation, particularly in the midrange...but, top to bottom, one of the best near fields at any price I've heard...
Just curious how these compare to the Mission speakers you lauded in another thread here-- Availability aside.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
Just curious how these compare to the Mission speakers you lauded in another thread here-- Availability aside.
Back in 2006, (or whenever that was) I was taken by the value of those Missions. Dirt cheap, with high fi pretensions. You had to stay aware of their shortcomings, but they could resolve a lot of detail in the top end, and the bass erred on the side of lean, which I think is infinitely preferable to an overly ripe bottom end that clouds the midrange. If you are dead broke, still not a bad option. The Equator D5 is a genuine gamechanger. The holy grail of true state of the art monitor performance in a sub $500 pr price is here in the form of the D5's, with one caveat: this price is artificially low. I think the game was to generate a wave of acute interest in this manufacturers products, and I for one am looking forward to hearing the upper end products in the line. Take my recommendation as an urgent one. Place your order. You won't regret it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Panic

Quote:
Back in 2006, (or whenever that was) I was taken by the value of those Missions. Dirt cheap, with high fi pretensions. You had to stay aware of their shortcomings, but they could resolve a lot of detail in the top end, and the bass erred on the side of lean, which I think is infinitely preferable to an overly ripe bottom end that clouds the midrange. If you are dead broke, still not a bad option. The Equator D5 is a genuine gamechanger. The holy grail of true state of the art monitor performance in a sub $500 pr price is here in the form of the D5's, with one caveat: this price is artificially low. I think the game was to generate a wave of acute interest in this manufacturers products, and I for one am looking forward to hearing the upper end products in the line. Take my recommendation as an urgent one. Place your order. You won't regret it.
Thanks. I hope the price holds out for while.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Untamed Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
Thanks. I hope the price holds out for while.
I was told this price of $299pr would hold until the end of the year.
But, that was awhile ago now.
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

so, does anyone have an almost objective way of testing these?

i had an idea:

2 songs, different in structure and tracks, but both with similar issues that only a decent monitor would pick up on.

I mix them both, on different days, and put a time limit, of say, 1 hour, and see what happens.

any ideas?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
ObiK

I really want a pair now but I just got some new monitors a few weeks ago. Still tempting...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: D5 Room Set Up

Patiently (NOT) waiting for my D5's to arrive. Any suggestions regarding set-up of these monitors...(i.e. angle of housing, distance from back of cabinet to wall, etc.)

Thank you!
k3yPr0gg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: D5 Set-up

This is directed at the "ney-sayers" of the Equator D5s. I lost some hearing years back due to an illness, and now have a "not-so-nice" 10khz-13khz low ringing. After I set up the D5's I could tell immediately how crisp and clear they were!!! Had an old set of Samson 50a's, and MOST of my mixes where MUD when translating to other speakers. Now, I feel pretty damn confident that...with proper referencing and processing...my mixing / mastering skill level will increase substantially! Thank you Ted K. and Equator!!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #15
HOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3yPr0gg3r View Post
This is directed at the "ney-sayers" of the Equator D5s. I lost some hearing years back due to an illness, and now have a "not-so-nice" 10khz-13khz low ringing. After I set up the D5's I could tell immediately how crisp and clear they were!!! Had an old set of Samson 50a's, and MOST of my mixes where MUD when translating to other speakers. Now, I feel pretty damn confident that...with proper referencing and processing...my mixing / mastering skill level will increase substantially! Thank you Ted K. and Equator!!
Good to hear!

I just pulled the trigger on these, however, I won't get to play with them until June next year...long story.
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
PAPT

I have not heard these.

The one problem I have heard mentioned was that they have a problem with "one note bass". They said that it was difficult to distinguish one low bass note from another.

Has anyone who has heard these noticed this, or can you easily make out the pitches of different bass notes?
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #17
k3yPr0gg3r

With regard to the bass distinction, there is a knob on the back of the speaker marked "boundry". This controls the amount of preceived bass for an individual room. I don't record hip-hop or anything needing extreme "sub". My electric / synth bass sounds seem to be fine. I have noticed that the Equators are much brighter than my Samsons where, but then again the change in music style / mixing has changed drastically in the past decade. We are all exposed to "deeper sounding" music, so when we hear a truly flat even sound from a monitor it sounds bright and "one note bassish".
Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPT View Post
I have not heard these.

The one problem I have heard mentioned was that they have a problem with "one note bass". They said that it was difficult to distinguish one low bass note from another.

Has anyone who has heard these noticed this, or can you easily make out the pitches of different bass notes?
The bass performance is very good, and by that I am referring to the quality rather than quantity. Don't assume that a vented cabinet arbitrarily equates with "one note bass". I read a review of the D5's having an air suspension quality to the bass. I agree. I have no problem deciphering pitch at the lower end of the spectrum. If the designers made a compromise (it is after all a compact speaker) it is in absolute amplitude. Then again, they have been clear about its use: specifically in the near field. Having said that. They play plenty loud for me, and if you have to mix/master/monitor at deafening levels, then you have problems that will hasten your exit from this business.

Elsewhere, I have heard people reference these speakers as "bright" or "mid-forward". While that may be subjectively true with reference to other budget monitors, I find them to have a reference class neutrality. Prep some mixes and see how those mixes translate on other, more colored playback hardware. I think you will find the overall spectral balances coming into line with most quality commercial releases, assuming you already possess an innate sense of balance.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
k3yPr0gg3r

Quote:
The bass performance is very good, and by that I am referring to the quality rather than quantity. Don't assume that a vented cabinet arbitrarily equates with "one note bass". I read a review of the D5's having an air suspension quality to the bass. I agree. I have no problem deciphering pitch at the lower end of the spectrum. If the designers made a compromise (it is after all a compact speaker) it is in absolute amplitude. Then again, they have been clear about its use: specifically in the near field. Having said that. They play plenty loud for me, and if you have to mix/master/monitor at deafening levels, then you have problems that will hasten your exit from this business.

Elsewhere, I have heard people reference these speakers as "bright" or "mid-forward". While that may be subjectively true with reference to other budget monitors, I find them to have a reference class neutrality. Prep some mixes and see how those mixes translate on other, more colored playback hardware. I think you will find the overall spectral balances coming into line with most quality commercial releases, assuming you already possess an innate sense of balance.
I agree! With all the "colored, bass laden" compositions coming out it's VERY difficult to adhere to a neutral sense of things when producing music these days. I can play Boards of Canada through the D5's and begin to feel my ears bleed due to the lows. Don't discount these by any means!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #20
Panic

After spending some time with them I was thinking they probably weren't worth spending the money to replace my other monitors, but then I put my other monitors back in, so I could send the D5's back. Nevermind; the D5's are staying. The other monitors are going in the living room.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #21
Reno.thestraws

Received mine today! is 220-240v for EUROPE (thank you equator!)

AWESOME!!!

Precision in the 1k-2k is just impressive!

Low end is good (from 50 to 200Hz) lower, there's nothing

High end is pretty sweet with no distortion at all!

300$ dollars for that IS A GIFT!

(i paid 110€ for additional TVA in my country, but even for 300$ + 110€ it's still a no brainer)

EDIT ; just a negative point : NO AC power cords provides ...