Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Editing dialogue - compression / limiter suggestions

Hey everyone:

I am editing a zoom recording. There are three participants, and in terms of levels they are all over the place:

1. The moderator is super low
2. One of the speaker is mid level
3. One of the speakers is super loud (actually distorted)

The general quality is pretty poor (it's not even stereo), I don't want to spend hours and hours riding the levels, just compress / limit everything so that it is at least understandable.

Any suggestions? I have two instances of ReaComp and the JS Master Limiter right now and am fiddling with the settings.

Thanks!
Peter
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Peter, that's pretty much the approach I'd take if it wasn't worth the time to have three settings popping in and out. Might even try a third compressor before the limiter, having the ratios go gradually from 3:1 to 8:1, and the attacks and releases starting slowish and getting faster and barely knocking off 2 dbs until the last one. I might even put a second limiter on if I can slow the release on the first a bit, and even a few mill on the attack so it's not a brick wall limiter and let the last one be brick wall. If the loud speaker's distortion gets too much with the limiting try a soft clipper to soften the tops before or between the limiters.

I'm a big proponent of adding more dynamic fx instances when a wild range needs to be tamed rather than having two or three do all the work. Having four dynamics FX on the track and four on the master is standard for me if it its a problem program and needs solving.

Expansion might be helpful, I've just not had luck in these situations with multiple voices, because of how much they can jumble up the dynamics of a single speaker while trying to raise the three of them to a more equal ground. Sort of two steps forward for how it brings them a bit together and two back for how it actually sounds
Old 08-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
jazznfunk

Try supermaalima/sonic anomaly Trilevel
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...er-vst-plugin/

Aviable via ReaPack with adding repositary.

Or maybe Luveler https://luveler.blogspot.com/
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
peter5992

Thanks!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote