Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #161
MikeKravets
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I have used several DAWs which do scroll/zoom smoothly and in none of them I have felt the GUI become noticably more sluggish than Reaper’s under load. But yes, of course this should be an optional preference. Maybe it can also come with an option for it to automatically turn off when the CPU is under such load that the GUI would become sluggish.
Great idea about CPU dependent behavior !
MikeKravets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:23 PM   #162
ferropop

Gonna ask that age-old question, "how do the other DAWs handle this"?
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:25 PM   #163
mschnell

It's a good thing that different DAW providers focus on different aspects of the product - as well CPU efficiency wise as developers' effort wise. Hence the users have a choice.

Last edited by mschnell; 07-20-2023 at 03:04 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:03 AM   #164
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Gonna ask that age-old question, "how do the other DAWs handle this"?
I think most them (if not all) make use of the GPU for graphics rendering.

This post about sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
If GUI smoothness is your main pain point about Reaper, it might be a good idea to start looking at other DAW softwares. I don't see the Reaper developers fixing those issues anytime soon. It would be a massive undertaking for example to use GPU acceleration. Almost all of their graphics code is currently based on raster graphics rendered on the CPU, so almost all the graphics code would have to be rewritten. To make the GPU acceleration really worth it, they'd need to implement it separately for all platforms they support, using the best technology options available. (OpenGL is basically obsolete at this point, it isn't worth it trying to use that anymore.)

There may be some low hanging fruits with algorithmic complexity that can be fixed, but fixing those will probably never be enough to fix all the GUI lag issues. Ultimately it comes down to how many pixels on the screen have to updated. For example with 4K or better screens, that is just a lot of pixels to deal with and if the graphics is rendered on the CPU in the GUI thread, response to mouse and keyboard input will inevitably suffer.

Using existing code libraries wouldn't immediately help, those would need to be adapted to work with Reaper's existing code.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:43 AM   #165
nappies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I think most them (if not all) make use of the GPU for graphics rendering.

This post about sums it up:
But it worked with metal on macOS, didn't it? Isn't that GPU acceleration on the mac? Or am I confused?
nappies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #166
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappies View Post
But it worked with metal on macOS, didn't it? Isn't that GPU acceleration on the mac? Or am I confused?
Hmm apparently so. My assumption would be that they've made certain MacOS-specific improvements utilizing metal. Most of the computing is probably still done by the CPU. Not sure though. At least on Linux REAPER doesn't seem to use GPU at all.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:55 AM   #167
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Hmm apparently so. My assumption would be that they've made certain MacOS-specific improvements utilizing metal. Most of the computing is probably still done by the CPU. Not sure though. At least on Linux REAPER doesn't seem to use GPU at all.
I'm pretty sure that all macOS drawing APIs since the deprecation of Quickdraw (Classic Mac OS 9/Carbon) support hardware-accelerated backends to some extent. GDI on Windows claims to, as well, but it's definitely not as effective, or requires specific hardware combinations.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:11 PM   #168
mschnell

Quote:
At least on Linux REAPER doesn't seem to use GPU at all.
Define, what you mean by "use GPU" !
AFAIK:

The CPU can't access the display directly at all. This always is done by the GPU.
If the CPU just provides single pixels, this process is a huge obstacle vs. having the CPU access the display refresh memory directly (as in the very old days), No software does this for a large amount of the screen. E.g. text rendering always is done by the GPU.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:24 AM   #169
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Define, what you mean by "use GPU" !
Afaict it doesn't make use of the GPU to accelerate its own graphics calculations. I can see a list of applications that occupy GPU memory, and REAPER isn't one of them (unless I open a ReaImgui window).
Old 07-21-2023, 04:48 AM   #170
ferropop

Quote:
Afaict it doesn't make use of the GPU to accelerate its own graphics calculations. I can see a list of applications that occupy GPU memory, and REAPER isn't one of them (unless I open a ReaImgui window).
This is confirmed in one of the interviews Justin did last year, he mentions that it's "on the list" of things to do, but by no means has any priority.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:27 AM   #171
nappies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
This is confirmed in one of the interviews Justin did last year, he mentions that it's "on the list" of things to do, but by no means has any priority.
It's encouraging, however.
nappies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #172
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappies View Post
It's encouraging, however.
Exactly. If that’s what it takes to implement this FR (and other FRs related to smooth graphics) then let’s hope they decide to take it on some time soon.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #173
ArTim_Songs

Quote:
Please add support for scrolling and zooming pixel-by-pixel without steps.
It helps following visual changes on screen and considerably reduces eye strain.

Here a video demonstration that shows what I mean by comparison of Reaper with several other software.

The lack of support is a pretty big issue specially on Mac, as the majority of people probably are using the first party peripherals like the Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad which support this on seemingly every app that I have used except for Reaper.

Here an older thread I made in the Mac subforum, which discusses the scrolling/zooming issue in more detail.
+
ArTim_Songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:34 AM   #174
BRG

Quote:
Please add support for scrolling and zooming pixel-by-pixel without steps.
It helps following visual changes on screen and considerably reduces eye strain.

Here a video demonstration that shows what I mean by comparison of Reaper with several other software.

The lack of support is a pretty big issue specially on Mac, as the majority of people probably are using the first party peripherals like the Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad which support this on seemingly every app that I have used except for Reaper.

Here an older thread I made in the Mac subforum, which discusses the scrolling/zooming issue in more detail.
We continue to wait and hope. +++
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:34 AM   #175
MilkLizard82

+1

Not sure where things are with this (mostly cos I don't understand a lot of the technical chat) but I would absolutely love smooth Continuous Scrolling when recording as I record a lot to music notation and/or with the MIDI Editor open to follow etc. The way it currently scrolls really gives me a headache when trying to record. I'm a PC user and less bothered about how smooth the scrolling is for editing or whatever.

But yeah, just wanted to give my +1 support for Smooth Continuous Scrolling when recording.
MilkLizard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #176
mschnell

Quote:
I can see a list of applications that occupy GPU memory, and REAPER isn't one of them (unless I open a ReaImgui window).
I in fact some years ago did write software that allows for "Zoom and Pan" a pixel array. I did this using GPL. So I do understand that it would be possible to write the track view of a large amount of the "from start to end tracks picture" in the not visible GPU memory and scroll it perfectly smoothly. The downside is that you need to create those pixels long before they will be visible and hence use up a lot of CPU performance for stuff that might never be viewed.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #177
bFooz

But the smooth scrolling means it takes some time to scroll to the desired position. It is not instantenious. So that time could be used to fill the buffer. And in this case, only a smaller non-visible area would need to be predrawn in each moment.

Or no? :-)
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #178
Markcastle_

Default Yeah

Quote:
Exactly. If that’s what it takes to implement this FR (and other FRs related to smooth graphics) then let’s hope they decide to take it on some time soon.
For sure, my friend. Repeat together:
"just an optional toggle in CTRL+P"

Something cool would be if they add also, beside the toggle in the preferences, a simple algorithm that detects when CPU is on load and disable all animations consequently

In the meanwhile, ++1
Markcastle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:21 PM   #179
onox

Default +!

Tracks area scrolls smoothly while dragging the scroll bars. Why should it be any different while a mouse wheel to do the same thing? It is even hard to understand if the page scrolled backward or forward without reading the bar number at the top. Seriously who cares about efficiency in this case?
onox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #180
onox

Default Found a temp fix on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...oth_scrolling/

Created 4 custom actions using the actions referenced in the post. Also see attached images. Linked these to the Mouse wheel actions instead of the default.

This may not be the most efficient but it works for me especially for scrolling while zoomed in.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:45 AM   #181
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by onox View Post

Created 4 custom actions using the actions referenced in the post. Also see attached images. Linked these to the Mouse wheel actions instead of the default.

This may not be the most efficient but it works for me especially for scrolling while zoomed in.
Looks smart. But isn't there a buffer that needs to be fully executed? Meaning, if you perform this custom action fast in a row several times, does it take its time to exeute all of them?
Old 11-01-2023, 02:16 AM   #182
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by onox View Post

This actually works well! If you send the scroll to one direction and while the view is scrolling, you scroll to the opposite one, the first animation is stopped (with a bit of lag, but ok usable) and the view scrolls to another direction. That's what we want. With a normal script, this cannot be achieved, the original animation always need to be executed as a whole. With an asynchroniously running script like I made (abandonware by now), this can be achieved, but there is a performace limit baked into the defer() function so it's not so useful.

But this style works fine!

I've tried to do a bit of an accelerating/deccelerating animation, don't know if it makes any real difference though. But nevertheless, I've binded this to my main scrolling key already.

EDIT: Ok, there is a performance degradation with many items as well. So maybe less complexity would be better.

Last edited by bFooz; 11-01-2023 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #183
onox

@bFooz

I didn't try anything fancy with it. The last comment on that thread is all i went with.

"You can just stick a bunch of "Add: Action: Modify MIDI CC/mousewheel: 0.5x" modifier actions before the zoom or scroll action... The more modifiers the more, finer increments there are ... booyah"

I also read somewhere about a limit of somewhere around 5 on the number of repeated actions and I did find some kind of glitch with too many.

And yes, i guess these actions are queued and executed on an asynchronous thread per every flick of the mouse-wheel. But I am sure the edge cases were already thought about and handled by the developers.

Maybe you guys can write a "simple" script using these actions instead and make it available on reapack? With toggles and sliders to control animations, speed etc?
Old 11-01-2023, 03:31 PM   #184
Phazma

I think I have already mentioned the x0.5 action workaround some pages back. And yes it is smoother but the problem is that the scroll distance also shrinks with each modifier action. This factor is static but it needs to be dynamic so that fast physical scroll movements do large scrolls (x1.0 would be ok) and slow physical scroll movements do fine/smooth scrolls (x0.25 scroll speed for example like with 2 modifiers).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #185
onox

Quote:
I think I have already mentioned the x0.5 action workaround some pages back. And yes it is smoother but the problem is that the scroll distance also shrinks with each modifier action. This factor is static but it needs to be dynamic so that fast physical scroll movements do large scrolls (x1.0 would be ok) and slow physical scroll movements do fine/smooth scrolls (x0.25 scroll speed for example like with 2 modifiers).
I have to admit I am relatively new here. What you said makes sense. And thanks to everyone for tackling this issue early on.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:05 PM   #186
greatzot

I am also looking for a way to fine-tune zoom (mainly horizontally). Often difficult to work with and frustrating as is. You'd think there'd be at least a preference to adjust how big or small the increments are, but I can't find one.
greatzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:33 AM   #187
keaton

+1
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #188
Loulou92

+1
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote