Old 09-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Question about project templates

I just wanted to knowe, as I was working with a particular project and it accumulated lots of tracks, I decided to make it a template.

My question is, for example, the project that I turned into a template had all the individual intruments that were part of the project that I saved as a template.

I then closed the project and opened the template that I had just made. I do not want the template to include those instruments and I will be leaving all the rest of the tracks and inserting new instruments for future projects.

So, if the instruments start out as part of the template and I delete them, where are those instrument track items stored so that since I don't actually need them that I can delete them off my hard drive?

Or, how do templates work? Do I have to be concerned about this?
Old 09-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

A project template is mostly just a project. Are you talking about actual audio items you want to delete? If nothing else, you can get their physical file details (including location) from item properties. Tracks and their settings and things like what FX they have on them are just kept in the project/template file, and are just gone when you delete them.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Are you talking about actual audio items you want to delete?
Yes! That is what I mean. Just like all of the audio item files get stored with each individual project, I was just wondering about templates.

So, te question becomes, what happens if I just delete the instruments from my template, and save the template without them.

I guess more to the point, when saving a template with items in it, does the template create its own audio item folders? I don't mean to over think this, I am just trying to get a handle on how templates store all the information included in them.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:16 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I guess more to the point, when saving a template with items in it, does the template create its own audio item folders?
Saving a project template doesn't do anything to the media files that were saved with it. But the respective media item paths are written into the project template file, just like they would when saving a regular project.

That also means that if you move the media that was used for the given project template somewhere else, Reaper will nag about not finding it when you load the given template.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Saving a project template doesn't do anything to the media files that were saved with it. But the respective media item paths are written into the project template file, just like they would when saving a regular project.

That also means that if you move the media that was used for the given project template somewhere else, Reaper will nag about not finding it when you load the given template.
OK, great! I am looking at the directory where they are kept and before I just delete them, I see that a couple of them have a bunch of *.rpp-bak files and I'm just wondering if it should be cool to get rid of a bunch of them?

One of them goes as far back as AUG of 2019!