Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
bd32
Human being with feelings

Default What setting do I need to stop VST from lagging?

I am trying to use Native Instruments Battery 3 triggered by a midi controller keyboard in Reaper. If I just play Battery outside of Reaper I'm getting a more immediate response. When I bring up Battery in Reaper as a VST there's a slight delay which takes the groove out of the playing. Could someone suggest what might be happening and how to get rid of the delay? Thanks.

Last edited by bd32; 10-20-2020 at 02:49 PM.
bd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
domzy

probably either your driver's buffer size is too high or you have some high PDC plugins in your project
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
probably either your driver's buffer size is too high or you have some high PDC plugins in your project
Very green in this area. I see the buffer is set to 1200. Could you suggest what might be an improvement here? Going to have to research what PDV plugins is. Right now only analog in one track and battery recording in midi on another. Like I said, Battery, if played on my PC, outside of Reaper doesn't have the latency. I'd be fine with using the analog sound that coming out of it through my focusrite 6i6 but I've never been able to figure out how to feed that into Reaper. That's why I'm trying to learn about using it as a VST. Thanks

Last edited by bd32; 10-20-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
valy

Try setting the buffer to like 64
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd32 View Post
Very green in this area. I see the buffer is set to 1200.
sounds like you might be looking at Reaper's media buffering - i'd leave that at the default 1200ms.

your driver's buffer is set in either the driver panel or the block size / buffer settings in preferences\ audio device

what audio device / driver are you using?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
sounds like you might be looking at Reaper's media buffering - i'd leave that at the default 1200ms.

your driver's buffer is set in either the driver panel or the block size / buffer settings in preferences\ audio device

what audio device / driver are you using?
Thanks for the replies.
After I wrote this I found a post on Reddit. I tried two of the things they suggested one of which you mention on the block size.Not sure which one did it or if they both did it together but the lagging wasn't noticeable after that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...ncy_in_reaper/

"preferences/audio /device , request block size put it to zero and you have zero latency but probably your Reaper will stop working,so try to increase the number until you hear no crackling sounds anymore when you enabled inputs,because it makes some difference....
Did you try Preferences > Audio > Recording > Uncheck "Use audio driver reported latency"?
However, the next time I was just going straight into a microphone and putting edrums analog straight into the Scarlet 6i6 there was an effect I heard while recording like I had a bit of slap back reverb on both. After a I didn't figure out how to get rid of it I was actually getting into it.When I played back the recording I didn't hear it at all.