Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default Just thinking out loud, how important is the track ID number?

I know that the answer is more than likely going to be, "of course it is important."

But why is that?

Personally, I never look at the track ID number. I am more interested in the track label.

So I am seriously considering "hiding" the track ID number simply by making the colour of the text match the colour of its background. The area that normally holds the track ID number would then just become another coloured area of the track which you can still get to change based on whether or not it is selected.

Is that mad?

thoughts, please
Old 12-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
foxAsteria

ID number? You just mean the track number? Well it's kinda the same issue as with fx slots. We have actions to directly target tracks by number, but no way to ensure the track stays in that position.

I don't get much info from looking at it apart from seeing my total number of tracks. I'm generally only caring what color the track is because I use color for organization and the number is kinda arbitrary.

I had this FR to address the limitations there, but suspect it would require some kind of overhaul...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199732

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
ID number? You just mean the track number?
Yes, just the unique number given to each track, based on its location in the project.

Quote:
Well it's kinda the same issue as with fx slots. We have actions to directly target tracks by number, but no way to ensure the track stays in that position.
I hadn't thought of that. Yes, the sends still refer to both the track ID and the track label.

I suppose it would be most important to at least name a track as soon as it is placed otherwise, with the track ID number hidden, you wouldn't know, at a glance, what the routings were.

Quote:
I don't get much info from looking at it apart from seeing my total number of tracks. I'm generally only caring what color the track is because I use color for organization.
This is what I am thinking. I also use dividers and folders to organise stuff.

Quote:
I had this FR to address the limitations there, but suspect it would require some kind of overhaul...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199732
[/quote]

I had a quick read of that, and it makes sense to me. A pity it didn't get more support.

Thanks for posting that. At least I'm not totally on my own with this thinking

cheers

andy
Old 12-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #4
Mordi

I sometimes check the total number of tracks in the project by viewing the bottom track. Other than that, I've had no real use for it.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
I know that the answer is more than likely going to be, "of course it is important."
But why is that?
Before I name the tracks, track number is the only way to identify them. Of course I can always check what is in the tracks, both visually and by listening. But I still arrange them by some tag or name.

Where it gets interesting is when giving instructions or troubleshooting something. If you don't have unique track names, it can become quite challenging. Also, not too uncommon to have similar track names, where the actual track number will help to get to the right one.

Also, like foxAsteria said, many actions target the track numbers, not the name. On the other hand, it's also easy to lose track of that when re-ordering the tracks.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
lucas_LCS

The track number is displayed if you hover the mouse over the TrackIDX image or the track label.
If that is good enough for your track number needs, you can either remove the TrackIDX element or set its margin to [600] or [-600].
Setting the margin like that pushes the text off the layout and allows you to use the image file for masking another image or creating a look for the layout.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 12-22-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typos
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
synkrotron

Thanks for the replies so far

I suppose that because I don't do "proper music" and my workflow is simple, with not that many tracks, I can get away sometimes without even naming tracks at all. Sometimes I will name a track by the VST which is in the FX slot.

Which is why I would not be at all surprised if doing away with track numbers is a bit daft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Where it gets interesting is when giving instructions or troubleshooting something. If you don't have unique track names, it can become quite challenging. Also, not too uncommon to have similar track names, where the actual track number will help to get to the right one.
Good points. Again, my needs are simple so I never thought of having to troubleshoot stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
or set its margin to [600] or [-600].
Yes, I did think about moving the label like this but I opted to use setting the text colour to the background colour.

Here is how my Mixer Control Panel looks with the IDX label "hidden"

Sometime over the next couple of weeks I will start creating again, using my customised theme and seeing if I come across any pitfalls, not just with the IDX label...

cheers

andy
Old 01-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
woogish

it is absolutely critical, but not important
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:34 AM   #9
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
it is absolutely critical, but not important
Thank you for taking the time to post your valued opinion.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #10
b0se

Working solo, not useful to me at all. Working with other people, especially remotely, very useful indeed.

Pretty sure mastering engineers making CDs would appreciate them too, one less thing to type for track names
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #11
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Working solo, not useful to me at all. Working with other people, especially remotely, very useful indeed.

Pretty sure mastering engineers making CDs would appreciate them too, one less thing to type for track names
Thanks for chipping in b0se

Most of my work is "solo."

But even when I collaborate it is usually via full length stereo renders. I collaborate with a British guy who lives in Germany and he uses REAPER too, be we still sends STEMS back and forth.

CD?

What's that?

Seriously, I am a digital release guy all the way now.

And "mastering engineer?"

I can't ever see me using one of them haha!

But I am still selling the odd album on Bandcamp, so I ain't too fussed

cheers

andy
Old 01-02-2020, 03:37 AM   #12
+NRG

Yes, for me the track number is of little to no use... I generally use a low (color-coded) track count.

*My ‘OCD’ hates when the track number is shifted when using folders or worse overlaps the folder elements. In my WIP theme I have the folder elements disappear when the track is compact but probably should’ve done it the other way around! Or, better yet figure a way to move the folder elements somewhere else in the track!