Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-29-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Grim Reefer
Human being with feelings

Default Recording electronic drums through Reaper - best way?

Does anyone have any links to videos or good advice on how to record electronic drums through Reaper? Apparently a good way to do this is to hook it up through MIDI, so I can play the drums, then adjust afterwards if I screw up here and there, as opposed to programming a beat. I have a Roland TD-11, a Scarlet 2i2 interface and a MIDI lead but have absolutely no idea how to do set it all up and get started. I am terrible with technology so please explain like you are talking to a five year old.
Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
valy

I prefer MIDI because of USB grounding noise issues, but your interface doesn't have MIDI input. So you'll need to connect the drums to your PC with USB cable. I'm assuming you are using Windows. Once connected, turn the drums on. The PC should recognize them.

Open Reaper and go here. You should see the name of your drums. If the drums don't say "Enable" under input devices, right-click them and turn them on.

Create a new track in Reaper. Set the input of the track to the "All Channels" option of your MIDI drums. Record enable the track and hit the drums. Do you hear them playing in Reaper and see MIDI input on the track? If so, you are good to go. Hit record and record them as MIDI.

valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Grim Reefer

Thanks a lot man, I'll try this out!
Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote