Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
Timetunnelpro
Human being with feelings

Default CC121 Fader Question

I'm considering moving from Nuendo to Reaper (mainly as I can't cope with the instability of the software). I use the CC121 and of course, I am so pleased it works well with Reaper.

I was wondering whether there is a way I can use my fader on the tracks I click on, as opposed to having to use the channel select buttons to move across the tracks that way.

I'm on OSX, so I don't think I can download that amazing plugin that someone developed to fully support the CC121. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers for any help!
Timetunnelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
mschnell

??? what is special about CC 121 vs any other CC # ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
DarkStar

l) This => https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...121/start.html

Old 12-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
RoyHansen

Welcome to the Reaper-forum Timetunnelpro!

Coming from Cubase to Reaper I am also the owner of a CC121 and have been doing some preliminary research into the possibility of using it with reaper.

I started a thread here where mschnell was kind enough to suggest creating a CSI file for the CC121.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=240220

But I read somewhere that the CC121 needs to receive a stay alive MIDI message every second from its host. And I haven't looked into CSI and Reaper enough to evaluate if this is even possible.

I would be interested in collaborating or hearing on any progress using CC121 with Reaper. Otherwise I will have to sell mine. It's just a nice piece of hardware and a great size for my setup. A deep reaper integration would make it a winning combination for sure!
RoyHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
Timetunnelpro

Thank you, Roy. Much appreciated!

I don't know enough about CSI to be of much use. I was under the impression that CSurf was only for Windows users and not for OSX? The integration with Reaper for the most part is fantastic, it's just that fader that is the final problem.

I have the Presonus which isn't bad but doesn't feel quite as nice to use as the CC121. I'll keep you informed if I can find something out about getting it working.

That being said, i'm sure there are talented wizards on here that can write some kind of script to make it happen. Here's hoping eh!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
RoyHansen

Timetunnelpro, do you have everything on the CC121 working in reaper except the fader? Am I understanding you correct here?

If this is the case I'd like to hear what you did to make it work. I'm a reaper novice and is still reading up on all the basic stuff. Some shortcut to a semi-functional CC121 would be great news.

We have the basis for a CC121/Reaper committee here.
RoyHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Geoff Waddington

Does the cc121 send/receive midi messages ?

If so, we should be able to get you up and running with CSI.

I had a quick look and did not find the midi spec for that controller, if you have one it would be a great help.

If not, we can do it the "hard way", by mapping each individual message

And yes, CSI is available for both windows and Mac OS.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #8
Timetunnelpro

Thanks for all the great responses!

I believe the CC121 does indeed communicate midi messages, one reason for this is that when I load up Logic (for example) the motorised fader (when touched) is interpreted as a midi instrument.

For the most part, when the CC121 is inputted as a Mackie Universal Controller, the following buttons work perfectly: play, stop, loop, record, arm, mute, read, write, the pan button and the scrubbing wheel.

The following functions work but perhaps not quite as planned: The forward and rewind buttons act more as a skip to next marker function. With the skip buttons don't work at all.

The motorised fader works however by clicking a track, it doesn't assign the fader to that track. You can move to the next channel via the channel select buttons, however this is not reflected with the channel being shown on the mixer on screen. Thus it can get quite confusing as to what track you are on.

The EQ knobs naturally don't work either, but I didn't expect them to.

I hope this helps? I had a look at your on-going CSI project, it looks fantastic!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Timetunnelpro

So upon further inspection, it appears that it almost works perfectly in MCU mode, with the exception of two functions. The original issue with the fader not assigning to the highlighted track, only able to be changed using the channel select buttons, however that selects channels without highlighting it in the DAW, leaving you blind.

The other button that doesn't work with it is the FX button.

I think this falls a bit beyond my knowledge of CSI coding, so if anyone is able to help that'd be fab!