Old 09-21-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
Bottledforest
Human being with feelings

Default Avid S1 and Reaper

Does anyone have an S1 working with Reaper? I love the lcd track names and general look and feel of the control surfaces but worry about the Eucon integration with Reaper.

I can’t find much online other than; It works. But to what extent? Can you control the eq on the touch screen for example?

I’ve looked at the x32 and the Icon but I want something excellent!
Bottledforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Nick Morris

Default try before you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledforest View Post
Does anyone have an S1 working with Reaper? I love the lcd track names and general look and feel of the control surfaces but worry about the Eucon integration with Reaper.

I can’t find much online other than; It works. But to what extent? Can you control the eq on the touch screen for example?

I’ve looked at the x32 and the Icon but I want something excellent!
Do you already have an ipad? You can try it without buying the S1 by installing the avid control app. Its free and will allow you to see what functions and what doesn't.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Bottledforest

Thanks Nick.

Yeah I have an iPad. I've been doing some digging into setting it all up.

Is this really the way? Seems overly complicated.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IC-fuI0E8
Bottledforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Nick Morris

well, sort of.

For basic eucon, install CSI and Eucon as outlined here -
https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...i/Installation

Follow these steps and you'll have reaper Eucon enabled in minutes.

-****also, Make sure to download and install the Eucon drivers from Avid.

Everything else with CSI is for other controllers and probably not relevant to you. I have started to program my CSI for a Mackie C4 to go along with my Eucon controllers. Pretty nice, but much more to learn and do than just installing some drivers and getting on with it.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
RobinGShore

I've been using an S1 with Reaper since the beginning of the year. I really like it, but unfortunately getting Eucon to work in Reaper does take some leg work. You can either use CSI (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143) or Geoff's old Eucon extension from a few years back (https://stash.reaper.fm/v/18477/EuCon%20Beta.zip). CSI still has a a lot of yet to be fixed automation bugs that make it unusable for me, so I mostly stick with the old extension. It works well for the most part, but there some things that don't work. Here's a rundown:
  • Pan graphs, EQ graphs and Dynamics Graphs don't work
  • Gain reduction meters don't work
  • VCA spill doesn't work
  • track colors from Reaper are not displayed properly in Eucon
  • Automation display is limited to four modes: off, read, write, and read/write. Tracks that are in trim/read mode in Reaper will show as off in Eucon, tracks that are in touch, latch, or latch-preview in Reaper will show as read/write in Eucon. (The CSI version can show latch and touch, but as I said it has lots of other problems with automation)
  • Eucon Layouts work, but getting them to save and load with projects is a little buggy
  • When using the old Eucon extension, adding and deleting tracks will cause Reaper to freeze momentarily (same goes for adding/deleting sends and fx, as well as switching project tabs)
  • Plugin mapping on the old Eucon extension is really great, but is a little tough to figure out. Making your own plugin maps requires a separate app that Geoff made which is windows only and is not very well documented. If you comb through this old thread you may be able to figure out how it works: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122509
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:59 AM   #6
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Do you already have an ipad? You can try it without buying the S1 by installing the avid control app. Its free and will allow you to see what functions and what doesn't.
Hi ! For those using the Avid Control App to control Reaper from a remote device (phone, tablet, ipad...) : do you already use an Avid controller or can the Avid Control App be used on its own (without needing an Avid physical control surface such as the Avid S1, Artist Mix and so on) to control Reaper, using Wi-Fi ?

I've installed the Avid Control App on my phone, installed EuCon on my PC computer that has my Reaper session, installed the EuCon support dll file for Reaper (found here : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255955), but i don't know how to connect the Avid Control App to my Reaper computer (nb : the Avid Control App doesn't show up in the EuControl software).
Would love to hear from someone who has been successful with this.
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:33 AM   #7
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by djabthrash View Post
Hi ! For those using the Avid Control App to control Reaper from a remote device (phone, tablet, ipad...) : do you already use an Avid controller or can the Avid Control App be used on its own (without needing an Avid physical control surface such as the Avid S1, Artist Mix and so on) to control Reaper, using Wi-Fi ?

I've installed the Avid Control App on my phone, installed EuCon on my PC computer that has my Reaper session, installed the EuCon support dll file for Reaper (found here : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255955), but i don't know how to connect the Avid Control App to my Reaper computer (nb : the Avid Control App doesn't show up in the EuControl software).
Would love to hear from someone who has been successful with this.
yes you can use the control app as the lone controller. make sure your control app device is on the same network as your reaper daw. have the app open and "restart eucon applications". It should appear in the eucontrol application
Old 05-10-2023, 06:43 AM   #8
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
yes you can use the control app as the lone controller. make sure your control app device is on the same network as your reaper daw. have the app open and "restart eucon applications". It should appear in the eucontrol application
Thank you !
I managed to make it work in the meantime but forgot about that message in this specific thread

Last edited by djabthrash; 05-10-2023 at 06:55 AM.
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote