Old 10-17-2023, 02:43 AM   #1
itm
Human being with feelings

Default Recommendations for a midi foot controller?

I'm looking for a foot-operated midi controller for Reaper. The main usage will be to control transport when doing retakes on guitar/keyboard, and also for use with the Super8 looper. An expression pedal would be a nice-to-have (e.g. for wah pedals in Amplitube), but not essential. Probably a minimum of 4 switches.

The Behringer FCB1010 looks great, and is about the right price, but it looks HUGE, and maybe too big to fit under my desk.

Has anyone come across anything else a little more compact that they can recommend?
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:58 AM   #2
spkr4thdd

I have, and love, the FCB1010, especially with one of the upgraded firmware chips. But yes, it’s not small.

What are you actually after? There are plenty of 4 button foot switches available; either wired (icon G-Board) or Bluetooth (IK Multlimedia iRig Blueboard). They’re both simple 4 button options. You can get all the way up to 10 and more like the Behringer S you know.

The iRig works a treat. And I’ve played with a couple of other wired ones; they’re all pretty much of a muchness.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:31 AM   #3
lexaproductions

I Like the line 6 shortboard mk2. Sends midi, configurable, not expensive second handed. 13 buttons.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
itm

Thanks for the feedback. My initial use for the footswitch would be to control basic record/redo functions when I'm performing takes on a guitar or keyboard. So for example I currently have a keyboard hotkey set to abort the current take and start recording it again when I make a mistake. I want to be able to do this without taking my hands off the guitar or keyboard.
I also want to use it as a looper control pedal, in conjunction with the Super 8 Looper in Reaper.
Beyond that, I guess I'll discover more uses for it once I start using it. I have Amplitube 4, so I suspect it would also be useful for controlling FX there. Perhaps more so if there was also an expression pedal for wah etc.

Another consideration is that I will nearly always be sitting when I'm using it (it's for a small home studio). With that in mind, anything more than 2 rows of switches would probably not be ideal, as it would be awkward stretching to a 3rd row when sitting (!).
The Icon G-Board looks interesting, but it's hard to find any reviews of it. The Line6 Shortboard also looks good, although it has that awkward third row of buttons!

Wireless would be good, but I'm not sure how reliably bluetooth would work. Also the iRig Blueboard seems to be a MAC/iOS device? (I run Windows 10).

The one thing that's becoming clear is how much of a bargain price the FCB1010 is....
Old 10-17-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
bobobo

a mix of this and that if you dared fiddling with soft and hardware a little bit
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #6
foxAsteria

fcb1010 goin strong for 20+ years, plus you can install a modded chip for even more fun!
Old 10-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #7
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
fcb1010 goin strong for 20+ years, plus you can install a modded chip for even more fun!
What are the main attractions of a modded chip?
Old 10-17-2023, 11:44 AM   #8
foxAsteria

You can get feedback on all the switches. Fully customizable. The original chip is pretty limited. https://www.fcb1010.eu/ But for what you describe, it wouldn't be necessary.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #9
foxAsteria

This is probably a better form factor, but I've never used it: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...=irig-stomp-io
Old 10-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #10
MST

I used many, also expensive ones, but in the end my favored best working solution is using a Launchpad with Realearn.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
itm

Quote:
This is probably a better form factor, but I've never used it: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...=irig-stomp-io
Hmmm...now that looks pretty much perfect. 2.5 times the price of the FCB1010.
If only the FCB1010 were more expensive LOL
Old 10-17-2023, 03:15 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm View Post
Hmmm...now that looks pretty much perfect. 2.5 times the price of the FCB1010.
If only the FCB1010 were more expensive LOL
It's also an audio interface and comes with software. I would only recommend it as a MIDI controller if you have the money or are already invested in IK software.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:08 AM   #13
itm

Quote:
It's also an audio interface and comes with software. I would only recommend it as a MIDI controller if you have the money or are already invested in IK software.
Ah OK yes I now see why it's so pricey - has alot of stuff that I don't need. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:40 AM   #14
RunBeerRun

The best one I've had was the Audiofront midi expression

which is just usb to 1/4" and you can use a footswitch or expression pedal

they've been out of stock as software really isn't that popular
Old 10-18-2023, 05:04 AM   #15
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBeerRun View Post
The best one I've had was the Audiofront midi expression

which is just usb to 1/4" and you can use a footswitch or expression pedal

they've been out of stock as software really isn't that popular
Hmmm...that's an interesting option...so you can mix and match footswitches and expression pedals as you wish. Out of stock, as you say, but a nice flexible option.

I've also been checking out a smaller version of the Line6 Shortboard mentioned earlier - the LINE 6 FBV EXPRESS MKII. Looks like a nice compact unit, and comes in at under £100.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:46 AM   #16
itm

So if I want to use the same foot controller to control different functions, depending on the scenario, will I need to reconfigure it every time I change the scenario?

For example, I might want to use the footswitches to control basic playback functions (play/rec/stop) when I'm recording takes on keyboard or guitar, but I might want them to control specific looper functions when I'm using the Super 8 Looper.

Likewise, I might want to use the expression pedal as a wah controller when playing guitar using Amplitube, but as a mod wheel controller when I'm playing a keyboard.

Will I need to make config changes to the foot controller whenever I want to switch between the scenarios described above? Alternatively, is there a way of defining/selecting banks of midi controls (effectively different mappings of footswitches to midi CC codes), and then simply switching to a different bank when I change the scenario?
Old 10-18-2023, 05:54 AM   #17
Pollo

I had an old Line 6 floor board lying around that I bought second hand a long time ago. It is intended to be used with the original Pod. I hardly ever used it in that way. And it only works in combination with the Pod.

This summer I found something online from a guy who managed to turn this thing into a MIDI controller using an Arduino board. I followed what he did, with some modifications of my own, and it works very well. It has 9 switches and two pedals/volume controls. The whole system is powered via USB and a standard ethernet cable connects the floor board to the arduino which in turn plugs straight into a USB port. So for little money I have a solution that I'm quite happy with.
Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 07:50 AM   #18
lexaproductions

Asides from my stock Line 6 shortboard mkII, I made this controller from a Line 6 shortboard mkII and a teensy. It has served me for the last 7 years. Still use it all the time.

lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote