Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
daylightsilence
Human being with feelings

Default Midi on Reaper

Hey guys,
I am hoping you can help me. I plan on using reaper to create and manipulate midi files using VSTi's. I am having this problem where my midi does not make a sound. i can see the bar light up when a note should be showing, but it doesnt show it on the master track. I know my midi driver is fine (its even the default one for now) and I can play midi files outside of reaper no problem.

What could the problem be.

Thanks in advance. I am very new to reaper and will probably need help installing and using VST's.

Thanks
daylightsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
megalodon

Just first try to add a new track via the menu 'add virtual instrument' (or something, I'm not at home now) and then choose your VSTi in the pop-up. See if that works first because it should have the proper routing already.

I sense that you just added a track, loaded your VSTi manually but forgot to route it to the master. Read the Manual, it's all there: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Nip

If it sounds outside any program but Windows, I think you actually play on the default synth in onboard soundcard in computer.

Usually latency in these are very poor and not adequate for working with many track of midi and audio in sync.

But you should be able to route midi output in Reaper to this synth. Usually via the MIDI Mapper in Windows.

So a General Midi synth can be inserted in Reaper. I know Cakewalk Sonar has one TTS-1 but I never had the need in Reaper and don't know what is there.

I once bought a GM(General Midi) sample library to use with a sampler of some kind. That is one way of getting the sounds as well.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
daylightsilence

Thank you so much. I will see how I can route it to the master track. If the default synth is poor quality and has latency. Which midi outputs would you recommend.
daylightsilence is offline   Reply With Quote