Old 09-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #241
Repetition Compulsion
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase915 View Post
cuz i heard my guitars waving up and down like i was playing with the volume fader up and down the whole length of the songs. as in the pic i attached.. imagine that is the volume of the guitars..
Pumping, thats the pumping (or a related side effect anyways?). Don't put ANY compression on your guitars. I use a very light compressor on my master track & I don't hear it affecting the guitars, but I don't really know that anyone would recommend that. Compression on metal (high-gain) guitars is dangerous territory & 99% of the time unnecessary. That will probably solve most of that.

Quote:
with that said... when i do post the mix.. the primary question that i propose to all of you.. is:
"Do you hear the guitars going up and down in volume?"
its a yes or no question.. if you dont then im closer to my goal and then i can move on to what else would you suggest to improve the mix (AS FAR AS TONES) timing is gonna be a issue.. i get that and it may be nails on a chalk board to your ears.. but please.. humor me and place that part aside... FOR NOW.. and see if there are any other eq compression or volume suggestions you would do to improve the mix.. ok? yeah? can we try that? pretend someone brought you this outta time recording and asked you to do your best with it.. timing aside... not askig you to polish a turd... im just asking for your suggestions and advice towards improving what is already.. to make it the best turd it can be.. so to speak...hahahah

again thanks for the help...
Sure. I'm all for second chances and I think that I, for one, have beaten the dead horse enough on the timing. If you work on settling the kick into the mix better it might be less apparent. Post it up when you either hit some big progress or hit a brick wall and I'll listen again.

One HUGE recommendation on the guitars, particularly since you're recording them digitally. Record a DI track alongside the VAMP tone. You can do this in a number of different ways depending on your equipment. For me, my Pod has a dry-out, so I just send that into an instrument in on my interface and record it silently in the background. If you do this then you should be able to figure out a way to re-amp the tone later if you need significant changes that aren't possible through post-processing. Another 'tip for the future' but its made a drastic difference in the tediousness of my own recordings & tone-searching. For the existing tones....more hi-pass--like 200-220hz even-- andmore hi-shelf (with a lo-pass between 6-10k)

edit: When you post it up, make a new thread (I would recommend, so as to start dropping this shit-show into your past) but bump this one at the same time with a link to it. Otherwise people like myself (I don't look much past the first few posts of each section on a regular basis) will probably miss it.
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #242
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repetition Compulsion View Post
Pumping, thats the pumping (or a related side effect anyways?).

edit: When you post it up, make a new thread (I would recommend, so as to start dropping this shit-show into your past) but bump this one at the same time with a link to it. Otherwise people like myself (I don't look much past the first few posts of each section on a regular basis) will probably miss it.
Thanks and yeah got rid of the compressors on the guitars... there are no compressors on the guitars.. and Ok I will start a new thread and post the link to that thread on this one.. that's what you're saying right? and i didn't put any compression on the master track either.. a little on the drums and some on the bass as some one said to squeeze it.. and of course on the vocals... so i will post that later
headcase915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #243
Repetition Compulsion

Yea that's it. That way it's a fresh thing for anyone that hasn't already seen this, but anyone that has this thread tagged will get the notification and the updated link.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #244
headcase915

Quote:
Yea that's it. That way it's a fresh thing for anyone that hasn't already seen this, but anyone that has this thread tagged will get the notification and the updated link.
OK but how does one get away if everyone has the link hahahah. JK ok im working onit
Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #245
Repetition Compulsion

Just keep going in this direction and you'll be fine.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #246
headcase915

Ok well Ive decided tro just stay the course no sense in making a new thread for the same issue right? ok folks.. so her it is.. now again the question is... do you hear pumping on the guitars or someone playing with the fader as i can explain it? there is no compression on the guitars.. there is very little threshold on the drums and vocals but i do have it on the bass.. yes timing is off the volumes may not be where they need to be yet.. my main fous is whether or not the guitars are still waving up and down.... if they are not i can move forward ot volumes issues cuz i think the vocals are little in your face still..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frekv3j9vf...camp2.wav?dl=0

sorry stash will still not let me upload does anyone know what im doing wrong with that i havent be able to upload shit since the very first time... i thought maybe i was outta spoace so i deleted them and still i can't does anyone know if there is acontact link or any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #247
Repetition Compulsion

I would imagine its a filesize thing. I think the stash is limited to smaller files but I'm not really sure. You could render to MP3 instead--you can do this from inside Reaper if you install the LAME encoder, I remember earlier you had mentioned rendering to .wav & then using an external conversion tool. Just make sure to stick with at least a 128 bit-rate, I usually do 320 and wind up with ~10mb files for a 5-6 minute song. Soundcloud really isn't a bad way to go, its how the majority of people here share tracks...I think posting wave files is more for when it needs some hyper-critical eyes or if you're sending it to someone else to master.

edit: I think you're good to go on the fluttering guitar volume, time to move forward. You're right about the vocals, I think the lead & backup vocals are mixed together fine, just a little loud in the mix. I don't know a whole lot (anything) about mixing vocals, but I think compression on those would help out for keeping it more even. You might also need to use a volume envelope on the lead vocals for the couple of times he growls...it gets significantly louder for some of those, with the envelope you could tame the volume by a few dB in those parts without affecting the rest of the track.

And yes, compression on the bass is normal (usually pretty necessary). Mine is compressed quite a bit, 12:1 ratio or something like that with a threshhold set for pretty constant 6db reduction, fast attack with medium release.

Last edited by Repetition Compulsion; 09-19-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #248
headcase915

Quote:

And yes, compression on the bass is normal (usually pretty necessary). Mine is compressed quite a bit, 12:1 ratio or something like that with a threshhold set for pretty constant 6db reduction, fast attack with medium release.
well i was able to upload those 3 other previous track versions but now it doesn't let me at all and they were the same song and file size im trying to upload now.
Nevertheless, yeah i need to bring them down.. and yeah i have the growls each on an individual track... so i can level all l3 differently and lower them behind the mains... my bass is compressed with a 6:1 and with a pretty high thresh... a previous suggestion was to squeez it a bit more so i increased that thresh (assuming that's what he meant) butr yeah im still playing with it...

edit: i finally got a DR meter the TT DR meter. so I can really check the phase (correlation).. and as i can see the phase is right in the middle between 0 and +1 and is green that's good right? if i leave it in mono it goes all the way to +1

Last edited by headcase915; 09-20-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #249
Repetition Compulsion

Yeah I dunno man, I've never used the stash.

Compressor on the bass...just tweak till it sounds right. One trick I learned is to use extreme settings to see how it affects the sound then bring it back down to get as much of that effec as you want. For instance, leave your threshhold, ratio and release the same and then move between a super fast attack and a super slow attack to hear the difference and then decide where you wan that. Repeat for each individual setting.

And on phase I don't know enough to tell you. I generally just flip the phase invert button on a suspect track and listen to see if it sounds better or worse. I would guess that what you're describing is what you want to see but I'm sure someone else can tell you more.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #250
Sonic Vampire

Quote:

. and as i can see the phase is right in the middle between 0 and +1 and is green that's good right? if i leave it in mono it goes all the way to +1
sweet
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #251
SaulT

Came across this and of course immediately thought of its applicability here.

Quote:
"This approach uses a microphone focused on each drum, plus a hi-hat mic and one or more overhead mics. The style offers increased gain-before-feedback and exceptional balance control to the sound mixer, but largely ignores the natural balance of the drum kit. As the sound mixer has far more control, he/she assumes the responsibility for correct kit balance. Upwards of a dozen or more audio channels are required. Comb filtering is an often present and accepted (or overlooked) compromise in the close mic’ed approach. This sonic degradation can sneak up!"

http://tfwm.com/much-to-gain-strivin...um-kit-micing/
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #252
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
Came across this and of course immediately thought of its applicability here.
This was a good read and exactly what I do! thanks for this.. the one thing I missed and will go back and apply is higher high pass filtering to eliminate more bleed from the snare... but yeah this truly was awesome thanks for sharing this with me...
Old 09-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #253
headcase915

Ok so I saw a video on quantizing that shows how to quantize even with guitars and vocals already recorded into time.. so im gonna give this a try to see if I can get this into time BUT the only part that escapes my brain is the actual quantizing part. The options are ½ ¼ 1/8 and so on now I did screw around and do it to like 1/64 or something like that I didn’t save it or remember the option cuz I was just messing around but it looked like everything shifted a bit in places and had crossfades and such… I can go back and recreate it but I was curious what quantize option do I choose? As far as the note grid I guess is what im asking…. And once done Ill upload so you guys can hear it again
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #254
Repetition Compulsion

Basically with that you're setting the grid to which your notes will be quantized.

Lets say you set a 1/4 note grid, all of your notes will shift to their closest quarter note. This would be EXTREMELY undesirable for the music you have, because you're using everything down to 16th notes & possibly 32nd notes.

Basically, what you want to do is set your grid to the shortest note that you play. So if 16th notes is as far as you break down it, set it to that. You still want to go over it after the fact to make sure that everything moved in the right direction.

That said, I would recommend leaving as much of it as you can alone...the millisecond inconsistencies are what makes a drum track sound real. Those of us using programmed drums are constantly battling the machine effect of quantized drums and looking for the best ways to humanize the track (i.e., FORCE a bit of 'sloppy' timing). I would just try to identify the worst spots and fix those as isolated incidents.

Just a recommendation, whichever way works better for you. Play around with both and see what sounds better.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #255
thequietroom

I could be wrong, but the track to me sounded like it was recorded without a click track. If thats the case you probably would not be able to quantize anything. You could try to just find the offending spots and see if you can get them to sound a little better by manually moving the individual parts. There is a bit of an art to this.. and it can be super time consuming. I'd start with the very worst spots and try to get them better then take a new listen and see if you want to take another pass at it.

edit.. i guess this is pretty much what R C said
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #256
Repetition Compulsion

Nah you bring up a good point...I've never messed with quantizing anything but midi, so I don't know exactly how it all relates to actual recorded audio. My assumption would be he would have to cut the track up so that each individual note is its own item with 0ms of space before the start of the note...man I don't envy that job.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #257
headcase915

ok I wont mess with it.. I think I got it right where I want it.. Ill post it up when i get a chance..
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #258
Sonic Vampire

there are much easier ways to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnO1XjRh0Y

this is not the video I would like to link to but it will give you and idea

this is how I do my drum edits ( and other instruments sometimes)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #259
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
there are much easier ways to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnO1XjRh0Y

this is not the video I would like to link to but it will give you and idea

this is how I do my drum edits ( and other instruments sometimes)
I don't do that much slip editing with audio. How would this work for a full song not recorded to a click? It seems like it would be a lot harder since the grid would have no timing relationship to the audio
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #260
headcase915

this is the one watched.. and it seems pretty straight forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7bJ4ePu8E

but again I don't know enough about it to go messing with it.. but I was gonna give it a try save as a different ver and compare the 2... but I did see the slip editing too.. also a good tutorial thanks guys
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #261
rdesanti

Quote:
I'm having a really hard time believing that it could be the audio mixdown or audio codec and not this complicated "mastering" chain involving layers of saturation, compression, excitation, and brickwall limiting.

Hear hoofbeats and think horses, not zebras.

Don't try to fix the mix during "mastering", because that's not what mastering is. If your "pre-mastered" mix doesn't sound at least decent on multiple devices (not just your monitors, but headphones, car stereo, cell phone, etc) then it isn't a good mix to begin with.
I personally run iZotope and that's it on my master. I also don't run any presets and as little Tope as possible. I will use a touch of reaverb IR type once in a while. But that's IT! If your master needs more you need to back up and remix the track.
--Mac Mini, 3 GHz 2 core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, OSX Catalina V10.15.7 Crucial 1TB primary SSD, 500GB Samsung T5 SSD ext Audio drive,dual 27" displays, Reaper 64 bit latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie MR8 Mk 3 8" Monitors and Mackie VLZ 1404 mixer. 30 years in Audio.
rdesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #262
headcase915

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frekv3j9vf...camp2.wav?dl=0

ok so just as an experiment to see how my mix holds up.. i attempted to master it (ATTEMPTED) I used only a little eq some multiband compression i threw and exciter/expander in there (just to try it) and a limiter (used only reaper plug ins)... im my studio and in my truck im liking it but im sure after a few listens I will find something to tweak (i always do) but I want to get your opinions... good or bad I will take what you give me...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #263
Fex

The biggest problem, to my mind, is the bass. It lacks definition. It's not consistent. The kick could be pulled back to make a little room....

Your cymbals are too loud. If the bass gets fixed, they'll probably still be too loud.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #264
headcase915

interesting and I thought they were too low originally and turned them up in the mix for this master ok well i an turn them down a bit... the bass I will definitely agree after listening a few times it seems to be a bit lifeless.. am i squeezing it to hard with the threshhold on the compression? or should i play with the attack a bit or both? and the kick I can bring back a bit.. i think its got a good pump but it could be a bit much considering its not a club track hahahah
small question.. do you think the snare is too low? cuz someone told me it should be louder.. I think its good where its at but i thought i would ask...
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #265
Fex

Quote:
I will definitely agree after listening a few times it seems to be a bit lifeless.. am i squeezing it to hard with the threshhold on the compression? or should i play with the attack a bit or both?
You're compressing that bass? That's the most dynamic bass I've heard in a long time. Certain notes/riffs leap out at you, and other bits can barely be heard. That bass definitely needs more compression. As such, I recommend that you take all the compression off the bass (contrary beggar that I am) and go mess with an EQ for a bit. Those distinguishable bass notes have specific frequencies, and that range is where you want to cut. Use ears. Then take a walk. Come back. Use ears again. Adjust a bit. Turn the track volume up a sniff. Live with it for a while.

Then compress.

Quote:
and the kick I can bring back a bit.. i think its got a good pump but it could be a bit much considering its not a club track hahahah
Get the relationship with the snare right. Get the relationship with the bass right. It's not easy to get both kick and bass sounding kickass in the same mix, and in this case, I think your kickass kick should yeild a little to your sickly bass.
Quote:
small question.. do you think the snare is too low? cuz someone told me it should be louder.. I think its good where its at but i thought i would ask...
I think it sounds good where it is, which suggests that the vocals are too loud. But all that might change when you start messing with the bass....

I'd get the relationship between the snare and the voice right before you do other stuff, like getting the kick right with the snare (without messing up the voices new good relationship with the snare) and getting the bass right with the kick (without messing up the kick's new good relationship with the snare).

But first I'd just quickly drum up some kind of vague context in which to stop my bass wandering off all over the place, and go to work on that bass EQ. And that vague context would probably sound a bit like your existing mix.

I really like the way backing vocals pop out at you. Less is more.

All my mixes sound like ass, by the way.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #266
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
You're compressing that bass? That's the most dynamic bass I've heard in a long time.

All my mixes sound like ass, by the way.
huh? you had me right up to the your mixes sound like ass hahahah and yeah i have reacomp on the bass... i have the thresh hitting it pretty hard too... but that's cuz someone said for me to squeeze it which increasing the thresh is what i took away from that... buti need some of those note to come back out from the depths.. so i need to go back and mess with it.. like i said this was just an experiemtn and i think it sounds good.. its a start.. but i need to go back to the mix and work just a bit more...
Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #267
Sonic Vampire

the bass is very clean

a common metal trick is you have 3 tracks for bass

1 DI for solid bottom end
2 Amp (sim/mic)
3 heavy midrange distortion

blend appropriately
Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #268
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
the bass is very clean

a common metal trick is you have 3 tracks for bass

1 DI for solid bottom end
2 Amp (sim/mic)
3 heavy midrange distortion

blend appropriately
I don't use any distortion on my bass.. i like it clean... VERY STEVE HARRIS... dont add to that one bit! i just used it as a means to say i dont distort the bass ahahahah
Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #269
Repetition Compulsion

Haha no dude, even in your original mixes your bass reminded me of Maiden, so there's at least one thing you 'went for' and 'got'

I haven't forgotten about checking out your new mix, I'll check it out and critique it as soon as I can. You posted it as I flew home for vacation though, so it might be another week or two before you hear anything from me on it. I am quite curious to see what you've done thought.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #270
SaulT

Well, there's some tweaking that still needs to happen, but the mix is starting to sound pretty good. Yeah, the kick and the bass could find a happier medium, and the cymbals are a little too hot, but putting it into perspective compared to the first mix, this is a significant improvement. A much better balance in the mix. Keep it up!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #271
headcase915

Quote:
Well, there's some tweaking that still needs to happen, but the mix is starting to sound pretty good. Yeah, the kick and the bass could find a happier medium, and the cymbals are a little too hot, but putting it into perspective compared to the first mix, this is a significant improvement. A much better balance in the mix. Keep it up!
Thank you sir! yeah i need to lower the cymbals a tad... granted i do notice a lot of recordings where the cymbals are there but not really there and that bugs me but that's industry standard to hear them but not hear them... and im messing with that bass to get it to pop out from the kick.. to where you can hear both equally.. its an eq trick that i still have yet to master..unless there is another tip you would suggest?
Old 11-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #272
Sonic Vampire

Quote:
and im messing with that bass to get it to pop out from the kick.. to where you can hear both equally.. its an eq trick that i still have yet to master..unless there is another tip you would suggest?
use the kick to trigger a ducker on the bass
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #273
headcase915

Hell yeah.... Idefinitely know how to do that trivk...thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #274
Sonic Vampire

cool. its a pretty small and fast dip but works really well.
Russ Russell swears by it for metal
Old 11-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #275
SaulT

Assuming that the bass and kick are both properly compressed and limited, i.e. at a consistent volume throughout, then I would expect to

* highpass the kick sharply just below the resonant frequency
* notch/cut the bass wherever the kick's resonant frequency is
* raise the level of the bass overall or boost it in the low end
* highpass the bass at least at 20, quite possibly higher

I personally tend to favor the bass over the kick, but that depends on the genre. You've got a good kick tone, it's mostly a matter of getting a good blend with the bass.

Everything that isn't the kick or bass needs to be high-passed at least at 100 Hz, and quite probably much higher. I have high-passed guitars as high as 500 Hz, which seems insane, but it's what worked in that mix. Don't EQ the instruments solo as you raise the high-pass, listen to it in the mix. At some point the bass (again, assuming that it's well compressed and consistent in volume) will become a lot more audible. The biggest culprit is going to be the electric guitars, high-pass them aggressively.