Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
somniumaeternum
Human being with feelings

Default N00b.. let me know what I'm doing wrong please

Hi guys,
Ok, I'm not exactly a n00b with Reaper usage length wise- I've been using for probably 1.5 years now - but I only really use (I'm guessing) 10% of the functionality so I can't really pretend I know what I'm doing.

There are a few things with MIDI that I've never been able to figure out and I can't seem find them through searches in different forums (maybe my terminology is incorrect). Here are my questions / comments:

1) I noticed that when I select multiple notes, copy them, and paste them somewhere else, sometimes some of the pasted notes have incredibly short duration. An example of this is when I'm copying a high hat pattern and then 3rd high hat in the pattern shows up as being 1/64th note instead of 1/16th. What am I doing wrong?

2) I noticed that every once in a while the default velocity for the notes seem to suddenly be halved. Then I work through it and after a while it goes back to 127 as the default for any note I enter. Am I clicking on something or somehow trigger a setting to change without my knowledge?

3) When I try to enter a long stream of notes (again, think of an entire measure of 16th note high hats), I basically do: a) select the note duration in the grid settings, b) sequentially just double click on the midi window that corresponds with the high hat. Fairly often (maybe every 4th or 5th time if I'm trying to go pretty quick) a note sounds but isn't entered in the grid and I have to double click again. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
somniumaeternum
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by somniumaeternum View Post
2) I noticed that every once in a while the default velocity for the notes seem to suddenly be halved. Then I work through it and after a while it goes back to 127 as the default for any note I enter. Am I clicking on something or somehow trigger a setting to change without my knowledge?
I think this is actually due to clicking on the keyboard map in the midi editor. Apparently, depending on where you click on each key, you hear different velocity AND the default velocity becomes that when you double click to enter the next note.

I'm coming up with another insanely frustrating issue: I have 2 measures. One is 4/4, the other is 9/8 each having a midi item 1 measure long for the drum parts that I'm working on. If I add a time signature marker, it sounds like the kick drum is doubled and played twice (like a stutter almost) in the 2nd measure. If I remove the time signature marker, this issue goes away. Ugh. This isn't the first time that it has happened to me, but it hasn't happened in quite a while. I'm recreated the entire drum part, even using a completely different project and this doesn't go away.

Has anyone seen this behavior and know a cause/fix???
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote