Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 09-29-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
lucas_LCS
Human being with feelings

Default Why do people bash other themes in order to praise their current favorite?

My point is this:

If a theme is awesome, then it can stand on it's own merits.
It is unecessary to bash other themes in order to demonstrate how well done another theme is.

Saying a theme so much better than all the themes that are so bad they make you cry is not praise.
Praise is saying a theme is so good it almost makes you want to cry, but your too busy making music with it instead, because the theme is that good.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 09-30-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: altered title to make it a question
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Indeed.

Every theme that is made is an expansion of the choice available to everyone. If one user likes it, then that's case closed : it has value. Even if no one likes it, that's still a themer gaining experience and maybe their next theme will be killer. There's simply no way to rationalise any of this as anything other than positive.

Every user does a little competition in their own head : which theme do I think is best? That is a luxury that comes from having a choice. More happy and engaged themers means more choice.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
+NRG

Agreed! It’s nice to have so many options and I enjoy checking out every theme I can get my hands on. For me, there’s always something to learn and unique / creative ideas that I would’ve never thought of...
Old 09-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
Win Conway

Get over it, have you never used the internet before, you sound like one of those tools who moves in next to a pub and then complains about noise, the internet is full of arseholes (typing) deal with it.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Who hurt you, sweetie?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
benf

I don't know if you have the same expression in english : "tous les goûts sont dans la nature" which, directly tranlated gives "all tastes are in nature".

I suppose you know how people are...
If someone loves one theme and use it, he will maybe say it.
If someone likes one theme but won't use it, he won't say it.
If someone don't like one theme at all, he'd probably say it. In that last case, you have three kind of reviews : the one that just says he don't like that theme, the one that explains why he don't like that theme and the one that bashes. In my opinion, that last one doesn't deserve to be read : it's the kind of poor guys that thinks that trying to destroy somebody else justifies its existence.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
ReaperMadness

I'm just grateful for the huge choice and the incredible generosity of all of the hard-working theme creators herein. It just so happens that my two favorite themers are participating in this thread. So... thank you for your gifts, gentleman. Huzzah.

And if I run across praise being lavished upon a theme that I just can't stand, I just scratch my head and move on. It's simple.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Get over it, have you never used the internet before, you sound like one of those tools who moves in next to a pub and then complains about noise, the internet is full of arseholes (typing) deal with it.
I mean, no offense, but isn't you making this post kinda contradictory?

You are complaining about a particular behavior as well, my dude
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Funkybot

Agree with the main sentiment. If there's something I personally find garish, I move on. No need to comment one way or the other.

Where it gets into a bit of a gray area is where you really like something, but want to offer suggestions to improve it. You want to be constructive but it can sometimes come across wrong. I've seen White Tie on the receiving end of that quite a bit, and I certainly feel like I've been guilty of that myself. That's further complicated by the fact that same themers are simply more open to suggestions than others, or certain suggestions.

I feel like most of what I see on this forum falls into that gray area, "well intentioned but potentially annoying" category vs. just downright crapping on someone's theme (though I'm sure that exists too).
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Interesting.
Curious why you felt the need to respond with a personal attack.

PS: My condolences about your pub.
I hope you were able to find another pub and a new group of friends.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #11
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I feel like most of what I see on this forum falls into that gray area, "well intentioned but potentially annoying" category vs. just downright crapping on someone's theme (though I'm sure that exists too).
Trying to give feedback or suggestions are different issues.
I don't recall that being much of a problem, since people are usually willing to work it out.

I am speaking about giving what should be a compliment to a theme by bashing some or all other themes.

I usually just ignore those comments, but they seem to be cropping up more often now and I thought I should mention it.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #12
ivansc

NOW see what you did, Lucas!!! And it is ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

P.S.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #13
foxAsteria

In the wise words of some miscellaneous rump-shaker; "haters gonna hate."
Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
I mean, no offense, but isn't you making this post kinda contradictory?

You are complaining about a particular behavior as well, my dude
Nope not really, I even pointed out that my post would be seen as being an arsehole to make the point, this is the internet, and I never actually ever made any complaint, I pointed out that the internet is full of arseholes and then pointed out a personality type
I love the internet, arseholes and all, I'm not precious and I got over myself when I was very very young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Interesting.
Curious why you felt the need to respond with a personal attack.

I am curious why you think my comment was a personal attack?
I made a suggestion, get over yourself, not an attack, but again the fact that you think my SUGGESTION was an attack would hark back to my original question....
Have you never used the internet before?

People have no inclination to be all fluffy and clouds just to keep some random user on the internet happy, if they don't like your theme, and you are going to be precious about them saying so, then don't release it, nobody here is paying you, if it hurts your sensibilities so, then just theme for yourself.
If not, and you are truly altruistic and wish to release themes for others to use for free, then again, get over yourself.

Or put simply...
The internet is full of arseholes, don't worry about it
Old 10-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
lucas_LCS

@ Win Conway

everything you've said makes me wonder how many times you think you've won an argument when..
in reality..
people just disengaged because to continue became pointless.

I'll stop here.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #16
Sarasota_FOH

My parents abandoned me in the woods at age 3 because they were too busy.... I was raised by wolves and a three legged possum until age 12 and was picked up by hikers who later dumped me at an orphanage. I spent my teenage years running from beatings and hiding in fear until I went to university...

Still, I was plagued by an unknown rage... I went to a dozen shrinks and then one decided to hypnotize me... In a deep state of hypnosis I discovered a repressed memory of my parents spending countless hours creating themes instead of raising me... Yes... YES, THATS IT!!! They had abandoned me in the woods to pursue their passion (creating themes).

Soo... I've dedicated my life to bashing all who create themes and those who use them... That's right, the theme you're using is trash - All themes are garbage (mic drop). Pffffttt...

Kidding aside, if you like a theme and it fits into your workflow, bravo (enjoy it). Can't speak for others, but I have bigger problems IRL then to worry about what other people use or like in regards to themes.... So with that, thanks to all of those who develop Reaper themes and giving people choice (cheers, much appreciated).

- Stay safe out there.

Last edited by Sarasota_FOH; 10-05-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Sarasota_FOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #17
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_FOH View Post
My parents abandoned me in the woods at age 3 because they were too busy.... I was raised by wolves and a three legged possum until age 12 and was picked up by hikers who later dumped me at an orphanage. I spent my teenage years running from beatings and hiding in fear until I went to university...

Still, I was plagued by an unknown rage... I went to a dozen shrinks and then one decided to hypnotize me... In a deep state of hypnosis I discovered a repressed memory of my parents spending countless hours creating themes instead of raising me... Yes... YES, THATS IT!!! They had abandoned me in the woods to pursue their passion (creating themes).

Soo... I've dedicated my life to bashing all who create themes and those who use them... That's right, the theme you're using is trash - All themes are garbage (mic drop). Pffffttt...

Kidding aside, if you like a theme and it fits into your workflow, bravo (enjoy it). Can't speak for others, but I have bigger problems IRL then to worry about what other people use or like in regards to themes.... So with that, thanks to all of those who develop Reaper themes and giving people choice (cheers, much appreciated).

- Stay safe out there.

My favorite reply so far.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #18
g4greg

I have my favorite theme,

It's not the default one... And I will be eternally grateful to the creator, as it really makes my life easier.. It just matches my brainwaves.

But yeah, I just don't get the bashing. Then again, there's bashing everywhere on the net. People like to validate their choices by putting others down.

Just look at how a lot of reaper users like to bash on other DAWs. Other daws aren't usually bad, they just don't match the way we think. People who like other DAWs just think in a different way, and said DAW just happens to match it.

They're friggin weirdos though, REAPER is the best
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
Meo-Ada Mespotine

This stuff has gone for ages. When I was younger, it was Atari is better than Amiga vice versa.

Or Sega better than Nintendo.

Linux/MacOS,AmigaOS better than Microsoft/Intel/$EvilCorpBackInDaDays

Pepsi better than Coca Cola.

Maybe it's an exchange for religion. In the past you could say to the other ones with the "wrong religion" to burn in hell, even if the other ones didn't even believe in hell.
But nowadays, we are stuck with belief in consoles, operating systems, DAWs, diet coke and themes.

It's hard to accept the reality of diverse people for some reason...

Coming soon to a theatre near you:
Indiana Jones and the crusade of the perfect Theme

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #20
PMan

Reaper is a great DAW, but what really blows me away is the community. Really amazing coders who so generously give to the Reaper community, the FX and the themes...

The biggest issue for me is that every few months I get restless and try different themes...

There have been many times when I would read forum posts and want to tell people to stop complaining in some clever way... but that just feeds the flames. Silence is golden.

Many thanks to this awesome community!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #21
Dark Fader

No different to footie teams!
And don't forget Ford vs Holden.

Yeah, I think it's another form of zealotry.
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #22
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
... Atari is better than Amiga vice versa.

Or Sega better than Nintendo.

Linux/MacOS,AmigaOS better than Microsoft/Intel/$EvilCorpBackInDaDays

Pepsi better than Coca Cola.
agreed, but this is not really what I was posting about.
That stuff just makes me chuckle.
Even the stuff I posted about makes me laugh.
I decided to post because, in addition to growing incidents of bashing, one them then asked other themers to help him fix his favorite theme.
While I found that to be funny, it seems like an odd way to ask for help.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #23
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Reaper is a great DAW, but what really blows me away is the community. Really amazing coders who so generously give to the Reaper community, the FX and the themes...

The biggest issue for me is that every few months I get restless and try different themes...

There have been many times when I would read forum posts and want to tell people to stop complaining in some clever way... but that just feeds the flames. Silence is golden.

Many thanks to this awesome community!
Well said! I see the REAPER forum as a community too. Just because the internet is a toxic place doesn’t mean this forum / community needs to be that way. There is a lot of good stuff going on here.

I think we’re very lucky to have so many intelligent / creative users sharing their talents and time so freely!
Old 10-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #24
reapercurious

does this apply just to themes?
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #25
ernzo

In what toxic universe however is Pepsi > Coke??

(kidding.. used to be coke addict, devilishly good tasting,
but after 13 years of drinking water all this stuff just tastes like pure Sugar to me..)
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #26
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
does this apply just to themes?
For me it applies to everything... The regulars here know the value of this little corner of the web. I learn something new just about every time I visit!
Old 10-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
In what toxic universe however is Pepsi > Coke??

(kidding.. used to be coke addict, devilishly good tasting,
but after 13 years of drinking water all this stuff just tastes like pure Sugar to me..)
I liked Pepsi more but haven’t had either in a loooong time! B)

Last edited by +NRG; 10-12-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: autocorrect
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote