Old 06-07-2023, 09:31 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default reasurround question

a while back, reasurround was updated and it seems to have screwed up my template project. how do i remedy this?

i have a template of 192 tracks, each with an instance of reasurround. i've rerouted the channel assignments so that the master meter shows the channel order as l,c,r,sl,sr,lfe rather than reaper's standard l,r,c,etc. i did this because i like having the meters reflect the spatial relation of the speakers in the room, the center being between the l and r. this setup has served me well for years now.

it's been some time since i set up a new surround project but i have one now and am finding that the third meter channel, the one that reaper would normally assign as c, but i would assign as r, is displaying 6db hotter than it used to in earlier versions of reaper.

since reaper is so compact and i usually install it as portable, i usually keep my previous versions on the computer and just make a new folder for the current version. thanks to this setup, i was able to see that, somewhere between v6.32 and v6.54 was where this change happened.

i hope i'm not going to have to go through each of the 192 tracks and make the same change to each. what is the proper way to compensate for this new 6db boost i'm seeing? i'm running reaper on ubuntu studio and the version is 22.04.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Could you possibly post a small project that displays different behavior in an older version compared to a new one? That would help us understand exactly what the issue is.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:37 PM   #3
babag

thanks for the reply, schwa. here is a stash link for a copy of a template that exhibits the issue:

https://stash.reaper.fm/manage_file/...plate_Rev5.RPP

apologies if this project is too big. i'm afraid to try paring it down as i'd probably screw something up in the process. the routing is pretty complex for me and it took me a long time to get it to where it worked. hopefully the size doesn't invalidate its usefulness.

there is a description of the issue on the stash page but i'll post here as well:
Quote:
upload for schwa regarding 6db discrepancy in master meter levels.

dropping a mono pink noise file onto the first fx track, named fx_00, by track count that would be track 60, sends signal through a series of subs, then to the master meter. the first channel of the master meter in this template is front left, second is front center, third is front right. in reaper versions up to approximately v6.32 the master meter channels read as even, the same level. in versions 6.54 and after, the third channel, front right, is reading 6db hot compared to the front left.
thanks again and i hope i'm not crazy, at least in this case,
babag
Old 06-08-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Hm, thanks for posting the project, but it's extremely complex and also contains some custom JSFX that I don't have, so I'm afraid I can't really make heads or tails of it. The ideal thing would be a really simple project or steps to reproduce behavior that is different using a version prior to 6.54.

Looking at the code changes between 6.53 and 6.54, there are no changes at all to reasurround (the original reasurround, not reasurroundpan). So any change in behavior would have to be caused somewhere else in the code, or even conceivably by some change in interaction between REAPER and third-party code.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
babag

it will be some time before i can devote the time it will take to do as you ask. for clarity, where i notice the change is between v6.32 and v6.54. i had 6.32 and, when i next upgraded, we'd gotten to v6.54 so those are the two versions i had to compare with. i'll roll back to v6.32 if i need this for now and, once i get time, come back to address your questions.

thanks,
babag
Old 06-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #6
babag

still in the middle of a bunch of work but have found out some things as regards this issue.

the template i found the issue in routes tracks through a decreasing number of subs before the master:

192 trx ---> 24 subs ---> 6 subs ---> master

the set of 24 subs each have an instance of reacomp and an IXix parameter linking js plug that ties all of the reacomps together such that adjusting one adjusts them all in the same way. something in these plugs, or how reaper sets them up, is causing the issue.

i tried turning off the plugs in the fx windows but that had no effect on the levels. i then tried the tcp, turning off the fx for each of these 24 sub tracks. that did turn off the plugs, and it did bring the levels back to the expected range.

conclusion would be that there may be something in the fx section of these tracks that is not responding as expected and is possibly buggy since disabling in the fx windows had no affect but disabling all of the fx at the track level did.

more later, next time i get the time to dig deeper. i'll try to pare the template down to a few tracks from the original 200+. because this is associated with routing all of these things, though, i won't be able to pare it down to only two or three tracks. it will probably have to be between 6 and 12.

thanks,
babag