Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
AudioBabble
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Map to Key v2 - not working as expected

First time using this... looking for a way to translate midi notes for communicating between a sequencer and a drum plugin.

Saw Kenny's vid about it, seemed fairly logical, here's what his vid shows for MIDI map to keu v2:

Here's what i see:

What's going on?? There's no note in / note out on mine!
AudioBabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
dug dog

It's been a while since I used that effect and I see that particular version is no longer available from Reapack. (Is that where you got it?)

At any rate, as I recall, with that version, you had to credit a new text file to represent your new mapping. Then you'd save it in the same folder where "00 Default Mapping.txt" is stored. You'd name it "01 blah blah custom.txt" or whatever you want.

The reason you're getting the "Nothing to see here" message is that there's no remapping going on in that Default map.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
It's been a while since I used that effect and I see that particular version is no longer available from Reapack. (Is that where you got it?)

At any rate, as I recall, with that version, you had to credit a new text file to represent your new mapping. Then you'd save it in the same folder where "00 Default Mapping.txt" is stored. You'd name it "01 blah blah custom.txt" or whatever you want.

The reason you're getting the "Nothing to see here" message is that there's no remapping going on in that Default map.
... I'm pretty sure MIDI Map To Key is standard built-in, maybe the Kenny vid shows an older version? Handy feature to be able to see the midi note number and name in the one window.

Found a slightly complicated workaround using two ReaControl monitor instances (using the log) to identify the note coming off the sequencer (Geist2) and the note I need to target in the plugin (superior drummer 3). The first Reacontrol sits after Geist2 in the fx chain, and the 2nd sits after SD3. With that info, i can create a modified mapping file, and those custom mappings will show in the black window in MIDI map to Key V2, which is handy for reference I guess... although once it's done it's done!

So, in the end, I'll have a custom midi mapping allowing me to control SD3 via Geist2's sequencer. The only limitation in Geist2 is that the pad output notes are not able to be customized, hence the need for a re-map.

I happen to find SD3 a real pain for programming beats, whereas Geist2 (old as it is) is truly brilliant, once you get the hang of it!

Last edited by AudioBabble; 11-17-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
nait

I think you probably have a better solution than clunky editing of a text file, but just as a heads up, looks like if you make some edits to the text file they will show at the bottom (until then, it says "nothing to see here"). You still don't seem to have a UI way of assigning things though, from what I can tell. I guess that must have been removed at some point.

https://i.imgur.com/sqwxi5Q.png
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I think you probably have a better solution than clunky editing of a text file, but just as a heads up, looks like if you make some edits to the text file they will show at the bottom (until then, it says "nothing to see here"). You still don't seem to have a UI way of assigning things though, from what I can tell. I guess that must have been removed at some point.

https://i.imgur.com/sqwxi5Q.png
Yeah that’s exactly right. Not sure where the UI is but the functionality works if you make the text file and edit it.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #6
AudioBabble

Just to round this off...

I found a rather marvellous non-native tool called NoteMapper.vst

https://codefn42.com/notemapper/

A welcome addition to Reaper's pantheon of MIDI tools... and free too
Old 11-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #7
LugNut

Hi,

I could swear there was a version that allowed you set the source and destination note values. I'll look.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
LugNut

Hi,

These are all I have. Never seen the one in ops screenie.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MIDI_KeyMap II_NoteNames.txt (4.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: txt MIDI_KeyMap II.txt (4.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: txt MIDI_KeyMap.txt (5.1 KB, 45 views)
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:08 AM   #9
boolin

for future reference - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/1422/IX%20...Utils%20II.zip
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:29 AM   #10
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolin View Post
Thanks! Hmmm... I thought -- Do I have these already? Seems not, so they have been added to the pile