Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Post Production Feature Requests

Please post some post pro feature requests and suggestions in here

lets try and keep the signal to noise ratio pretty high please.

It doesnt matter " how you always did it in xxx application"...interested here in "how I WISH I could do it"
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Shan
Human being with feelings

Definitely....scrubbing audio. A big must in post.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
drakem

Hi
This is my first post here, and I would like to say HELLO, and... thank you. Reaper is just amazing piece of craftmanship. I´ve demoed it now for couple of days. I´ve trasfered some of our work from Nuendo just for fun. Briliant. Not a single hickup.
My money will be sent as soon as I finish current production. With Nuendo .
For post for me
- Show frames in the Video event/item
- Time code track is a bit confusing. What about sync options in the pref?.
- Media Bay/Sample database. Mix of Nuendos Pool and Vegas Database. With custom tags, rating, info, blabla.
- ReaMote for Video - ReaPAL!!!. That will bring Reaper in every post studio!!. If we can sync Video from other PC or laptop.... OMG!.
- Snap point for Items. To make it easy to sync samples.
- Sync to External source.
Thats for now.
But anyway, its a fantastic application. Will jump ship as soon as my clients pay current bills and go. Need time to practice key-strokes .

drakem
drakem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
airon

EDIT 2009 - September 9th

We have several feature requests in the recently introduced Issue Tracker that concern post production. At the very least, they are :

Improved Video Support

Area Selection

Reaper Media List/Bay/Bins

Vote for them!!!

Here now follows the older post.
================================================== =============
Nice ones Drakem. I hope these requests of mine are as useful.

==Timecode==

All timecode formats usable in grid and snap.

Nudge with userdefinable step width, with presets depending on kind of timecode in project. In a 25fps project I need to nudge stuff by frames, fractions of frames (1/4 frame for example) and seconds for example. Nudge should have its very own timecode selector too so I can push things around by whatever distance I choose.

==Timecode Offset in the project setting==

It is rare that things start at 00:00:00:00 in post production.
Film reels begin at 01:00:00:00, 02:00:00:00 and so on. In Germany television shows start at 10:00:00:00. Whatever the picture cutters deliver, you have to use, and you're bound to their timecode most of the time.

For a number of reasons, we therefore require timecode offsets in our session, meaning that the sessionstart has to be a timecode setting.

For the show I work on (program starts at 10:00:00:00) I start my session at 09:57:30:00, because I need to include reference level tone and 2 second pre-program 1-frame blip. This stuff goes on to tape and in later production stages is a reference for people not just for levels but also where the program starts, in case they only got the raw audio file.

Timecode offsets for any grid, though I'd be happy with HH:MM:SS:ff formats. Rendering to WAV with the bext chunk will then be of much greater use for us post production folks.

==Scrubber==

Emulation of 1/4 inch tape scrub using the mouse and any other input device with an input range. Those could be any endless knobs and jogwheels.

Implementing this in the Reaper universe could be having a toggle action that turns off/on the context sensitive menus and other functions that concern the right mouse button, thereby freeing the right mouse button, which is the easiest, and in my experience, the quickest to use.

Modifier keys are an alternative and a good addition, but they will always be slower. The stuff you have at your fingertips is the fastest, and speed is what it's about for post production folks. The modifer key or the right mouse button could also work for the left/right item edge trimmer to operate in a scrubbing mode. This is extremely useful to have too.

==Automation Recording==

One automation mode setting for the standard controls of volume, pan and sends, and then one automation mode setting for all the effects in the insert section.

The reason behind this is that when mixing effects and dialog, often you'll ride your faders a lot, and may wish to EQ something a little more, or change the compressor settings for a few lines.

Right now you can't do that without blowing away your volume automation in WRITE mode. The alternative is to disarm everything you don't wish to change by opening the envelope window manualy for each track. It takes a VERY long time to do so right now.

The disadvantage in disarming the volume automation recording is that you can no longer quickly do touch ups while going over a loop when you're adjusting your EQs or compressors in write mode. You have to set the automation mode to Touch, rearm the volume parameter, and restart playback. I can't do that shit over and over and over without losing in the ballpark of 80% of my mixing time.

Therefore, keeping a seperate automation mode for one section containing the volume and pan parameters, and one seperate for the effects, you can work away, no problem. You'll probably be switching the effects to READ, WRITE or LATCH only. The volume can stay in TOUCH mode.

Additional "Arm All" buttons, tied to actions, for each plugin or at least for all fx. A possible action is "Arm parameters of Plugin 1", and so on.

An option to arm all automation on newly added plugins may be useful too. I would probably leave that on all the time, since I automate the living daylights out of EQs, compressors and reverbs.

==Automation Editing==

Displaying just three parameters on one track makes it very difficult to edit with decent speed. It takes a long time to make stuff visible and not visible, mainly because as far as I know no actions exist to make plugin parameters and no parameters at all visible or not visible.

I want to treat automation like audio. Selecting is great. Moving is great. Copying works great, but pasting automation at precisly the same location in another track is fiddly, which is why I suggest you give the user the ability to move the edit cursor up and down. You select something, THAT's where the cursor is then at the top left of the selection, if it's multitrack. The cursor can travel up or down with the assignable actions or even by selecting another track panel. Since we can have multiple lanes inside tracks right now, the default target should be the same parameter if the same parameter/plugin parameter exists in that track. Using the cursor up/down actions could then pick another target if those lanes are displayed.

And I'd like a track mode in which I can edit the automation without accidentally touching the audio or automation of any other parameter. Perhaps a graphical focus(tint?) of the automation I'm working on. Having to click on a curve to work on it sucks so a mouse focus would improve the visual feedback as well.

Copying automation with by dragging with a modifier would be nice too, like dragging an item is. Perhaps SHIFT+CTRL+drag ?

==Automation Snapshots==

I have a setting on an EQ that I'd like to get written to the next five minutes of my first dialog track. Then I'd like to have that same setting written to the other six dialog tracks in the same time frame.

or

I've made a pass across a three minute section, where the plugins were set to write mode, but only during the last 30 seconds did I find the right settings for the entire loop selection. I stop the transport and now wish to write those plugin settings to the entire loop selection of this track or all tracks that had WRITE enabled for the plugins.

That's the beginning of snapshot automation. Advanced ways are to keep multiple passes like we collect takes in lanes and pick and choose between them.

==General Editing==

Selecting part of an item in the track directly, not via a loop selection. May require that new track mode mentioned above where you focus on one type of editing. Either automation or audio.

Optionable parameters for actions enabling me to write a macro that splits away a selection in an item to the track below it leaving a hole in the source material. Then it grows the edge of the material on the left side of the hole by 1/4 frame and fades out that grown 1/4 frame with a slow fadeout. Then it grows the edge of the material on the right side of the hole by 6 frames and fades in those six frames with a fast fade. Then it extends the split out material on the track below to the left by 1/4 frame and to the right by six frames, and fades these in and out with fast and slow fades.

The result is lightning fast dialog split editing. Actions with parameters.

==============================

That's it so far. I'm sure some folks here can add a great deal more.

Last edited by airon; 09-09-2009 at 03:55 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
plush2

Whatever happens I think the first priority should be getting the timecode issues figured out. By this I mean offset, nudge and general frame based editing which are all well described above.

I rather like the idea of having video displayed accurately, frame by frame for whatever editing action I'm doing at the time. As I edge to resize an item from its entry point those frames are what update on the video window, as I edge an item from its ending those frames (that coincide with wherever the item end is at the time) are what update on the video window, same for moving items, editing automation points, adjusting fade lengths and so on. After the edit is completed the video window should revert back to the frame coinciding with wherever the playhead is. This is similar to what Airon suggests at the end of his ==Scrubber== description I think.

In Snapshot automation there should be an easy way to disable the automation for the plugin being worked on at the time while still allowing all other automation in the session to proceed as normal. My thinking is that when an eq needs to be altered either because it is automated to the wrong setting for the selection being worked on or because it needs a correction in a few parameters its easiest to turn off all automation, make the changes while listening to the desired section, write the changes to that selection and enable automation for the plugin once again. This makes sense in post because the setting is static with sudden changes mirroring the track contents. The frustration this solves is needing to choose between all automation on, no automation on or tediously taking parameters off-line one at a time.

I really like the idea of ReaPal. Being able to link machines together to a common picture/clock would allow for 3 people to mix and make changes on their respective areas during an approval mix session. What would be even cooler is if the machines could be linked over lan or the internet to check scenes during the design phase. Kind of a post-production ninjam.

Thanks to Pipe for starting this discussion. Keep the suggestions coming.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Shan

Sync points are an absolute must for me when doing VO etc. The foundation for this is already established with the snap offset. I'll post some more thoughts on how we can improve this later and after conversing with a few others here.

Shane

Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
airon

Plush, how about "WRITE solo"ing a plugin when twiddling the knobs.

Also, you're forgetting that we ride EQs too sometimes, so whenever you write ALL plugin automation across a section, you also destroy the automation you performed or edited of the other plugins on that track.

Therefore the snapshot has to be on the whole track or just the write solo'ed plugin, should that be a usable idea.

I agree with Shan totally with Sync Points. Everyone likes them, as they're an easy way to take THAT moment in the audio to THAT point in picture. So set a sync point in the item(or item group which I'll detail below), go to the point in time you wish to take it to, and then Syncpoint_SHORTCUT+select the item to put it there.

The sync point is in fact good for more than that, because in VO work I sometimes just sync to other audio. I then set the sync point in a recorded track, find the same line or syllable in the new take, place the sync point. Then I simply place the cursor at the sync point, which acts like a item boundary so as to be accessible with a shortcut that jumps to item boundaries. Then I just take to cursor down a track and SYNC the item whose sync point I wish to be placed there. Sounds complicated, but it's not once you use it.

There is however another way, that does not replace the sync point, but adds a very quick way to sync things to picture.

This is STICKING the item under the playhead/cursor to the playhead/cursor and moving that. Since playhead/cursor controls the video playback you get a nice sync to picture functionality.

So Sync Points and Stick Item To Playhead/Cursor.

==Item Groups and Savable Item Sequences==

I've got a dozen tracks with footsteps and other misc clothing rustles. A picture change comes in that cuts away some of them. No problem. Then another picture change comes in that puts some of them back!! Now I need to get those footsteps and rustle noises back from an earlier version of the session. Pain In The Ass.

Enter Item Groups and Savable Item Sequences.

Item groups would be nothing but one item that contains a bunch of other items(including their automation). You can trim this item like any other, even trim its item volume and apply that to the item groups contents if you wish as you dissolve the group.

Editing the inside of an item group could be as simple as opening another arrangment view in its own window that contains just the item group. The alternative may very well be to ungroup the items, which could be quite a pain. Of course per-track automation would still be editable and recordable in the normal arrangement view, but individual item properties would only be editable in the item group editor.

Saving these item groups away would give us the holy grail of post production editing. Finally, after AudioVision was killed by Digidesign so many years ago, we'd get savable item sequences again. Save away effect, foley or music arrangments. The automation would be saved with it. Should the folks not have the plugins required when you insert the sequence back in to another session, just issue the "Plugin not found" warning.

If the plugins exists, ask "Substitute current plugin selection?", "Add to plugins in tracks?" and "Don't use plugins from sequence".

Inserting item sequences in to a current session would be drag'n'dropping them in to the session. I presume they'd simply be sessions.

You'd win over many folks with item groups and savable item groups(item sequences is just another name for that).

Last edited by airon; 08-02-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
airon

=== Item Bins ===

These are item lists and they serve the purpose of organizing your media ahead of time, during a project or for later reference.

These bins need to be savable. Their contents need to be drag'n'droppable between other bins and the timeline.

For example, I would keep several bins open when producing effects for a show. One bin may contain a standard selection of telephone ringtones, the next a bunch of doors I use on the show, the next a stack of background ambiences, the next could contain foreground elements. All these sounds could be spread across my library, but the Bins allow me to choose from sound collections I have prepared beforehand.

Bins also allow me to organize my edits. I would keep a bin just for production sound, so they don't get mixed up with my effects or anything else(like it is in Fucktools with one big flat list).

It is a good idea to save bins in either a project directory(new bins) or a central location. The user needs to be able to duplicate bins, organize them(see above for how many may be open), close and quickly open them again. They need to be placed anywhere, or perhaps organized in their own window, where they could be stacked or evenly spread out, just like any other window.

The request below also concerns Bins.

==== Using Broadcast WAV data in the bext chunk ====

If you've got sound effect libraries, you've got the bext chunk in there with descriptions, source CD and other stuff.

This data could be the name of the item, not the filename, which is 99% of cases is useless. The long descriptions in there are idea for knowing what a file is, but until now has gone unused by Reaper.

The Media Explorer could optionably display this data when browsing a directory(and cache what sees to speed up future reference).

Bins should contain and display this data, so folks can easily pick and chose audio based on that, and usualy NOT the filename.

Rendering a file would also let you fill the DESCRIPTION field of the bext chunk. This would make it possible to drop stuff produced in Reaper in to any sound librarian. This meta data is much more practical than filenames.

=== Exporting Items from the Timeline and from Bins in to files===

This is extremly convenient for exporting edited bits and pieces from field recordings, useful effects cut from production sound or basically any file you've produced in Reaper.

When you're recording VO, you may cut them free, render them to a new track as a new take, name them, and export the whole lot in one go.

Some may wish to collect all they want to export in to a bin, and then export all in one go.

The Export dialog could be similar to the Render dialog, with format, sample rate, channels, resample mode and so on. Another option to include is using the name of the item to fill the DESCRIPTION field in the bext chunk, and 'tag' several other fields along with it.

Last edited by airon; 08-05-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakem View Post
- Snap point for Items. To make it easy to sync samples.
i think it's in. Reaper can do Snap Offset on events, if this is what you mean.

you can adjust the snap point at every item's bottom left corner.
just drag and move that "flag"
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
airon

That snap offset exists, but it doesn't do what we need quickly enough. It would be faster to just move it manualy there.

As soon as scrubbing happens you'll start to see a lot of applications using a sync point, or sticking items to the playhead and moving that.

I'd like to add to the Item Bin idea from above.

=== Item Editor ===

This is a straightforward copy of the trimmer in Vegas, the source monitor in Avid and the clip editor in AudioVision. I need to edit the in/out and sync point of stuff before dragging in in to the timeline

When building ambience tracks for a show, you usualy have several ambience audio files ready to use, but which are usualy too long for the section you wish to place them in. In a simlar fashion, you may wish to use only a small piece from a long line of material in an audio file.

You need to edit the item boundaries and perhaps even item volume in a seperate editor before you insert or pencil pain it in to the timeline of the session, because sometimes there isn't the room for you to place the whole audio file in the timeline, and then trim it down.

The item editor would be a big help, by editing existin items in the timeline, and anything you care to hand to it, be it from the media explorer or from Item Bins(more likely).

Last edited by airon; 08-08-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
sarge

I'd like the option to render the audio and video file together. Unless I take the audio files and import into the video editing program I am using ie Premiere or Final Cut. Reaper does stuff that I can't do in those for obvious reasons.
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #12
geoffroy

I'd like to lock an item in time. I'm doing some electroacoustic/concrete music and it is all about fine positionning of items.
And this is the only thing I miss in Reaper that I had in Samplitude.
geoffroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
Shan

And let's not forget, we need the following surround formats:

1. LCR Cinema Stereo LC R

2. 2+2 Quadraphonic L R Lr Rr

3. 3+1 Dolby Surround L C R S
(Pro Logic)

4. 5.1 Film L C R Ls Rs LFE
for Dolby Digital

5. 5.1 SMPTE / ITU L R C LFE Ls Rs

6. 5.1 DTS L R Ls Rs C LFE

7. 6.1 Dolby EX L C R Ls Cs Rs LFE

9. 7.1 SDDS L Lc C Rc R Ls Rs LFE

Legend: L=Left; R=Right; C=Center; S=Surround (mono); Ls=Left Surround; Rs=Right Surround; Lc=Left Center;
Rc=Right Center; Cs=Center Surround; Lr= Left Rear; Rr= Right Rear; LFE=Low Frequency Enhancement

Shane

Old 11-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Right click on "rate" slider to scrub. Fader changes colour. Release sets cursor. Double clicking on fader resets to play rate: 1.0. This behaviour could also cause remote control surface scrolling to act the same way until the slider is reset to it's original state. How does that sound?

Last edited by inthepipeline; 11-05-2007 at 11:06 PM.
inthepipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
geoffroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
At the moment you can lock all items but not items individually which i would like a lot as i also do a lot of microediting and precise positioning
agreed!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

4. 5.1 Film L C R Ls Rs LFE
for Dolby Digital
At least this, with pan controls....
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
marcelvdg

Not as essential as most here, but could also be cool to have a "place markers at edits/cuts in video", and maybe "find a tempo that works with markers in selection".
Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
airon

I've created two videos to demonstrate what many of us feel is missing in the editing capabilities of Reaper.

First, the way you copy and paste bits and pieces in Reaper:

-edit- reuploaded
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/128128/...2_mp3audio.avi

Then, the part we would like to add to Reapers capabilities. It is easiest demonstrated in another application, in this case Protools, which is the most predominant application in use for this type of editing:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/128127/...7_mp3audio.avi

Last edited by airon; 03-09-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #19
jimmer

if i was only half as eloquent and well organized as airon, i would have tried to say all the same things.

thanks airon!

and also, this idea from drakem would be a dream come true...

ReaMote for Video - ReaPAL!!!. That will bring Reaper in every post studio!!. If we can sync Video from other PC or laptop.... OMG!.
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
plush2

Hi Airon, I agree that ctrl-c and ctrl-x ignoring selection of area and staying exclusive to item selection is not ideal. +1

As a temporary workaround (you know I love those) I've set up "cut selected area of selected items" to ctrl-shift-x and "copy selected area of selected items" to ctrl-shift-c. It takes a little getting used to but it's not as much of a stretch as the defaults.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #21
Kitana_One

Location: Strike Zone: Geo Coordinates: 28.597824-N X 81.353436-W
Default Importing Session Data

I'd love to be able to import session data from other Reaper sessions.

With a Post workflow you're (well at least I am) always working in bits and pieces and gradually combining the sessions together.

It'd be a real time saver if you could at least import tracks into sessions instead of having to render it out and importing the audio.

Not only does it save on render time, but it would also bring that tracks audio sequence/playlist (and takes would be great too) so it can be edited later on without having to go back to an older session (who knows which one of the dozens of sessions the right part could have come from) and then editing and re-rendering and then re-importing.
Kitana_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #22
dacaumodo

[edit: seems like it has already been requested, so I'll just add my voice!]

Hope this has not been already requested:

I'd like Reaper to support mp4a audio format, which is apparently used in some videos.

I tried imporing a .mov video in Reaper, the image is there and works fine, but there's no sound.

cheers
d
dacaumodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
antiClick

-Import AFF or OMF files

-Increase automatition resolution

Hope postpo features are covered soon
regards!
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitana_One View Post
I'd love to be able to import session data from other Reaper sessions.

With a Post workflow you're (well at least I am) always working in bits and pieces and gradually combining the sessions together.

It'd be a real time saver if you could at least import tracks into sessions instead of having to render it out and importing the audio.

Not only does it save on render time, but it would also bring that tracks audio sequence/playlist (and takes would be great too) so it can be edited later on without having to go back to an older session (who knows which one of the dozens of sessions the right part could have come from) and then editing and re-rendering and then re-importing.
You can actualy copy/paste entire tracks from one session to another.

Open another instance of Reaper(File/ menu), load the session from which you'd like to copy tracks, select the tracks by (SHIFT+ or CTRL+ for multiple) clicking, hit CTRL+C(or whatever you set up as the copy function), change to the target session and hit CTRL+V to paste the tracks.

That's it realy and it works well.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
two videos to demonstrate what many of us feel is missing in the editing capabilities of Reaper.

First, the way you copy and paste bits and pieces in Reaper:
Then, the part we would like to add to Reapers capabilities. It is easiest demonstrated in another application, in this case Protools, which is the most predominant application in use for this type of editing:
I have to agree 100% on this. Copy pasting a section/selection is clumsy - and downright bad & must be fixed. (compared to the elegance of the rest of the program it is downright embarrassing).
Even the otherwise pretty rubbish PT can do this basic stuff fine as can CEP/Audition (better) and most other software too.

I have only just discovered Reaper & must say am pretty smitten. IMO it has a really good combination of comprehensive configurability of an obviously well thought out approach to software manipulation of digits, that doesn't limit the creative possibilities, + it has an easy to use UI. As contrast to the complete opposite Poo-Tools that clearly started from some sample edit code then just kept adding code/bloat to get round the fact the basic paradigm was ill-conceived. This is then coupled with an ultra arrogant approach that they are perfect so one must adapt to their "way". Eg I did a training for trainers course {I'm a practitioner turned Academic} at the Avid/digi HQ in the UK and on finding it was not possible to change the default keystrokes, suggested this may be a learning barrier to people who had learned short-cuts by using other software. The totally non-ironic reply was; what digidesign have created is perfect, therefore it is unnecessary indeed a bad idea to let users change anything.

So yes I suffer from the fact I've used analog stuff, mag film & most DAW's but for others who have only used PT, well it CAN do almost anything you need to do but........$$££***!!

I'm coming from a largely Post for Film/Tv Bg but with quite a lot of music production/engineering experience. And I've used most DAW/sequencer software since the late 1980's. This includes PT,(which I find fundamentally flawed)Nuendo, SAW, Vegas, Soundforge, Logic/Notator (which have have merit & issues)& fairlight, CEP and to a slightly lesser degree Audition which are pretty dam good [IMO].
Sorry, slightly rant mode
JL
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
John Lundsten

Default Handles Needed FR

FR
If you Render Item(s) as a new take or glue a clip (or clips)the new file contains only that selected. What is very handy is to have a file that presents just your selected parts but has handles, extra material that can be revealed. IMO the length should be definable including a "whole file" option.

Partly to get round the fact that one can't sensibly time lock clips I very much like the capability of being able to add a BWF timestamp to a render. It is then very easy to get everything back in sync. but it is laborious to have to pull the front & end handle of the source clip - render - then move the handles back again. Maybe I should have a go writing a macro to do this, or has anyone done this already?

A related issue is the need for a less drastic "Consolidate" mode. IE strip out great chunks of data leaving just the audio used but with handles & with shiny new bext timestamps that reflect where items were placed.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
airon

Glad you could join us. My background is similar to yours, though I starting using DAWs in about 1990.

There's the tail-length for glue/render as new take functions, which is great for rendering reverbs destructivly.

Prefs/Media/Take FX tail length (upper right).

For rendering there is an action that helps a bit. It extends the edges to full source file size. Not helpful in any tight spot, but it's something.

The actions for this could easily be "Extend left edge by 1 grid unit" or "Extend left edge by 1 frame". Same with right and contraction.

Even if you had this, you'd need to juggle the grid size, which is bound to Bars and Beats. Justin has promised a real timecode grid though, so that's on the menu.

If you must get a 25 fps grid, just set 60 BPM and 1/25 as a grid size. Plush2 found a good way to do 29.97 as well, so you may want to check his posts for that.

The consolidate mode is pretty good, but as you said it's not perfect.

Filemanagment is a beast, as Protools users keep finding out. I haven't had any accidents with Reaper so far, though it has some shortcomings.

When using "Save As" together with "Copy all media into project directory" and "Trim+Convert Media"(I got blank stupid stares in 2000 when asking Digi for this at a convention), every time Reaper sees a clip, it saves it.

Then it sees the same clip somewhere else (like an ambience used in two scenes for example), and it saves that again. Everytime. It doesn't create one file and references that in all the items that use it, or take a look at how much was used in all of the file and saves that. It just keeps saving every clip again to a file. Minor issue, and probably easy to remedy.

Last edited by airon; 05-07-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #28
John Lundsten

Quote:
(1) There's the tail-length for glue/render
Prefs/Media/Take FX tail length (upper right).

(2) For rendering there is an action that helps a bit. It extends the edges to full source file size. Not helpful in any tight spot, but it's something.
Thanks Airon, the tail length (1) option doesn't seem to be working as i expect, will try more later.

Re (2) how do I get this "action"
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
airon

Prefs/General/Keyboard Control

New

enter key of choice

hit the search button right of the first action item and find it. It's called "Item: Set selected items length to source media length". Enter any of those words and add more words to narrow down searches. It's by far the best keyboard system I've ever seen.

Hit ok and you're good to go. You can check if a key is taken with the Find function in the keyboard control section.

Last edited by airon; 05-08-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
John Lundsten

Quote:
It's by far the best keyboard system I've ever seen.
Yes, yes it's the best thought out & implemented assign Keyboard shortcuts system I've seen (and this must be about the 20th DAW I've got my head around) - brilliant.

And I'm liking it a lot, so I've paid me $225,so I'm a paid up newbie.
BTW the "about Reaper" stats say I've used it for 92hours over 12 days.

Oh and thanks Airon.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #31
airon

It's great to have another post guy around.

You may want to check out Xeniakos' extension DLL. One of the actions it adds to Reaper, that is useful if you're using an audio database like Soundminer or Netmix, is to rename the item to the description in the broadcast wav description of the source file.
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20771

It certainly helped me a lot for my effect designs. Xenakios was nice enough to grant me that request.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #32
BlackBart

Default OMF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has any mentioned OMF import/export ability? Haven't seen it. Don't most Avid sessions come to the audio post world in OMF?

All these suggestions are great, but if you can't open the file......

BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #33
airon

Right now Reaper can import and export Samplitude EDL and Vegas Txt EDL.

EDL Convert Pro v4 and it's followup product Pro Convert can both convert anything to that format and back again, so if you wanted to it would be possible.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #34
hopi

Default time line offset?

Not all other apps allow this but some do and I'd think it would be easy to implement...

being able to set the time to minus numbers... like minus 2 bars or -4 bars., so it can read to the left of zero.

this has become a standard for me over the years as it gives a little breathing room to a project...

sure, we could just 'do it in our heads' but if you can set it to minus bars, then you can still keep what you want true to the bar numbers.... i.e., you know... 16 bars, 32 bars, etc.

my wish'o'da'day
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #35
SafeandSound

Hi there I have the non commercial licence and have a fiddle every now and
then.

I would love to see :

OMF import / export (essential)
Replace audio in video
Edit audio whilst in record,(so I can top and tail and fit to
audio (ripped from video) whilst still in record.

I am sure I can add more later but I am not 100pct sure of what Reaper
can do fully with video as yet but I suspect the above are not currently available.
SafeandSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #36
GuitarKeyes

Default Mute takes precedence over Solo

Mute takes precedence over Solo when both buttons are pressed. That would be A nice option to add to the preference menu.
GuitarKeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #37
jas

This should be a forum in itself. It is far too broad a topic for just this thread. Anyway, thanks for all the great comments. Reaper is evolving in an interesting way - mostly by feedback from musicians, then recording engineers, then rerecording/mixers, and hopefully, now editors.

Last edited by jas; 12-16-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: no not Reason for Editing - Reaper for Editing
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #38
davidweese

Default editing related request

I do a lot of voiceover using reaComp to duck music under, etc.

The delete key doesn't work when cleaning out the audio pool, you have to mouse click "remove selected files", which seems silly.

Even better, I'd like to see an option to automagically clean the current project directory whenever you close reaper. Everything I do gets rendered, so there's never a reason to keep the source files around.

If that's asking too much, how about just a one-click clean instead of having to manually select all the files and confirm it. When you do it all the time like I do, you don;t second guess, and in the rare instance where I would regret it, it take a couple minutes to redo a voice over.
davidweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #39
Joystick

Video, Video, Video. All video features. ReaPAL would be a big hit!

Just recrute a video geek programmer and start the revolution! (You already started it, but please don't stop!)

And a nice feature is the "Aim Assist" of Sonar 8, in Reaper this can be done with scripting to show any info needed.

Another feature is to put a button in the transport to play all selected parts simultaneously from their beginning, that way we can test any set of effects and foley we want, how they sound together without even moving a part from our arrangement.

Surround, freely configurable with presets.

Use statistics, like when session started, who worked on it, how many new sound files added, it makes service pricing and customer reporting much easier. Saved with every session.

Text playback ala-karaoke style plugin to play back subtitle files or a simple time synced text format in a window that can be placed in the talents screen, with time variations and maybe remembering and saving a database with the linking to the text and takes recorded for future reference.

Peace...:-)
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #40
airon

You know I think the Karaoke thing could be done by an extension, or you could sync up an ADR package with MTC/LTC perhaps, although Reaper can run on timecode from such a package too.

Can't say I disagree on the solo-play of selected items. That's a nice one.

What is Aim Assist in Sonar ? Let's hear some details about that.

DavidWeese, what you require is a proper session file management. Everyone else is pushing for it too.