Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-30-2022, 12:20 AM   #1
dagrsen
Human being with feelings

Default Playback is corrupted since 6.71 update ... Anybody?

So, installing the 6.71 update has introduces a chainsaw into my workflow. I'd wager that some DLL has been corrupted within REAPER since it's the only software being effected. I've attempted to trouble shoot by uninstalling & running the installer twice. No joy. Clean out what the uninstaller left behind, Starting with a fresh install of the app data/ roaming directory Still happens. Even going so far as to re-installing 6.69 with no appdata folder. Still the same audio issue. Am I possibly missing other locations where files are installed? Any insight is appreciated.
dagrsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrsen View Post
So, installing the 6.71 update has introduces a chainsaw into my workflow. I'd wager that some DLL has been corrupted within REAPER since it's the only software being effected. I've attempted to trouble shoot by uninstalling & running the installer twice. No joy. Clean out what the uninstaller left behind, Starting with a fresh install of the app data/ roaming directory Still happens. Even going so far as to re-installing 6.69 with no appdata folder. Still the same audio issue. Am I possibly missing other locations where files are installed? Any insight is appreciated.
Can you explain a little better/more about what you are hearing. I've never heard anything like a chainsaw in my monitors. A buzz maybe but not a chainsaw.

In the old days I'd say something is not grounded right. Maybe check and make sure all your plugins on your interface are in all the way.

When do you start hearing this problem? Immediately when you open Reaper?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
dagrsen

Sure Ted. Thanks for asking. I've played with the audio a bit The sound is a combination of a very choppy oscillation & a slow BPM. Attempts to manually adjust the BPM but only to a point. The buzz / oscillation could also take the shape of a nasty ground fault. Honestly, I'd run that down were it system wide, but the issues is isolated to REAPER.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

If reinstalling an older version does not change the playback, I don't think this is related to the update per se. Are you certain you are installing the proper REAPER version for your OS?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
dagrsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If reinstalling an older version does not change the playback, I don't think this is related to the update per se. Are you certain you are installing the proper REAPER version for your OS?
Thanks for responding

Certainly I am. Been using the 64bit framework since 09. Thankfully I'v storage enough to have all updates between now & then local. Over the past 14 years, this is the first time encountering such issues.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
vitalker

Windows 11? Downgrade.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:35 PM   #7
dagrsen

Thanks for the reply

Still on Win 10 Pro. MS is dug to deeply into 11 for me to have any interest Did check sound settings on the system & Reaper playback in preferences. Thought perhaps MS had reset it's setting to default in it's last update. Doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
numberthirty

Have you tried a portable install yet?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:48 AM   #9
dagrsen

Thanks for the response.

Now, there's an idea I hadn't come up with. Ironic also since I've a number of other software i portable versions. I'll do that in the morning, and get back here with results.

Update: The portable install has me back in business! Since the program was dropped in Documents, should still see the same, or close to the same speeds as if it were actually installed. While an uncommon thing to do, I'd like to thank everybody that offered input to this tech journey.

Last edited by dagrsen; 12-01-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:07 AM   #10
RobertP

also, try opening a/the project with FX off-line...
Old 12-01-2022, 02:23 AM   #11
dagrsen

Actually, during the portable install it was revealed that the sample rates in system settings weren't matching. Once that issue was fixed, both the portable & installed instances are doing fine. I share such a bone head maneuver only as an assistance to those reading this in the future.

Again, thanks for the assistance!