Old 11-30-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
Big A
Human being with feelings

Default Problems setting up Mac Studio

Greetings,
So I just got a base model Mac Studio - M1 max with a 1tb ssd. I've always used a windows machine, but trying to resolve some performance issues I've had over the years. I feel like now that I've got a whole new set of issues. I haven't actually done any mixing yet on the Mac, just trying to get everything ready to go. I've pretty much got all my major stuff installed. When I open Reaper, all my plugins have disappeared. I have to clear cache and rescan every time to get my purchased plugins to show up. Now the stock JS plugs have disappeared and are not showing back up. I can only assume that the stock Cockos vst's are not compatible because they were never in there. The problems I'm having with my Waves Soundgrid system are so extensive, it's probably for another thread. I still believe Apple silicone was a huge advancement, if nothing else to raise the bar for windows pc's as well, but man what a mess.
Thanks,
Adam Greene
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Big A

Default Baby Steps!

Got both my windows laptop and the Mac Studio talking to the Soundgrid network and playing music thru the SoundGrid Studio application. Now to dive into the problems with Reaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3322 Medium.jpeg (109.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
MonkeyBars

Are your plugins all installed in the default locations
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Are your plugins all installed in the default locations

I didn't direct them to a different location. Like I said, when I clear cache and rescan they all show up again, except the Reaper stock plugs. The only ones I use is Recomp occasionally and JS vol.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
MonkeyBars

Sounds to me like you're running in portable mode by accident or something. To install software in macOS you have to drag the .app file to your Applications folder
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
Big A

Default Update

Once I got it on the network, I opened Reaper on the Mac - it auto scanned during startup. I selected Soundgrid as my I/O and low and behold, all the plugins are present. Even the good ole' Cockos and JS. Now I'm going to try and load in some audio files for mixing. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
serr

'Gatekeeper' software has gone wild in recent MacOS versions. You need to 'allow' any 3rd party system extension kind of stuff in Security & Privacy within 20 minutes of first installing it. (Any install you need to reboot for.) There's usually a prompt. Otherwise run through the installer again.

You have to allow running 3rd party apps "from anywhere" with a terminal command now. [sudo spctl --master-disable] The option is invisible when off in the system preferences window.

Check all that as matter of course when installing or updating anything.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
'Gatekeeper' software has gone wild in recent MacOS versions. You need to 'allow' any 3rd party system extension kind of stuff in Security & Privacy within 20 minutes of first installing it. (Any install you need to reboot for.) There's usually a prompt. Otherwise run through the installer again.

You have to allow running 3rd party apps "from anywhere" with a terminal command now. [sudo spctl --master-disable] The option is invisible when off in the system preferences window.

Check all that as matter of course when installing or updating anything.

Yes I thought I had worked thru all that extension permission stuff, but unfortunately, I'm still having issues. While all of my other plugins were visible, the StudioRack plugin was not. So I rescanned again and the stock stuff disappeared again. I was thinking the new security settings would be in effect for all apps. Anyway, then I reinstalled StudioRack and now it's visible and ALL other plugins are not visible. I can load StudioRack on a track and all my waves stuff is visible inside the chainer. I even opened some previous projects from an external hard drive that I used in my windows system and all the plugins worked, even a couple of instances of JS volume control, but they are not visible in the plugin add window. I changed some things to see. but it won't save. That one I figure is the drive is read only for Mac. I don't even know what file format it is. IT'S ALL VERY CONFUSING. I love my new Mac, but lots of problems. But hey, DaVinci Resolve worked great for editing pics and video of our Thanksgiving family reunion.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:58 AM   #9
Big A

Default Update

Even though all of the plugins I've downloaded claim compatibility with Apple silicone, I tried using an option to open Reaper with Rosetta. Open in Finder - click the file dropdown menu and choose 'get info' - then choose 'open in rosetta'. After I did that, and opened Reaper, it auto scanned while opening. All plugins are now visible except the Reaper stock plugins. Even AU versions and Apple plugins I assume are Garage Band stock plugins. If that's the only hiccup going forward, I can live with that. I wish Apple would not make things so hard on 3rd party software developers. I know it's a marketing plow to try and get users to only use Apple software. I've had iPhones and iPads at work for years and it's the same tactics they've been using. That being said, I can already tell a major improvement in performance over my 6 core I7 windows machine.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #10
skylar_battles

Did you try disabling gatekeeper? The ReaPlugs are quite useful!
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:18 AM   #11
Big A

Default Success!

I seem to have gotten everything working. I simply did a fresh install of Reaper. No all my plugins are visible. Record enable works thru my Soundgrid network. Anyone installing on the latest Macs with apple silicone, make sure to install the correct -ARM64 (universal) edition. I may have screwed up and hit the wrong install. Not sure. I will do one more update after I have a chance to do some mixing.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #12
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I seem to have gotten everything working. I simply did a fresh install of Reaper. Now all my plugins are visible. Record enable works thru my Soundgrid network. Anyone installing on the latest Macs with apple silicone, make sure to install the correct -ARM64 (universal) edition. I may have screwed up and hit the wrong install. Not sure. I will do one more update after I have a chance to do some mixing.

BTW, a big thanks to Jon Tidey and the Reaper Blog. I should have looked at his video on installing to Apple silicon computers before I tried this.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:11 AM   #13
Big A

Default WOW!

Got everything installed and properly licensed. Loaded a 40 min 30 track live project. Added additional cpu hog plugins in the projects. Set all StudioRack instances to native processing. All buffers to lowest setting. Played fine. No pops or clicks at all. About 120 plugin instances. Rendered the whole thing at 32 / 48 wav. Just under 8 min. My 8th gen hex core I7 windows machine would not even been able to do it in real time. Needless to say, I'm very happy. Anyone interested in a Soundgrid Server One C? LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3326 Medium.jpeg (109.1 KB, 66 views)