Old 11-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
Grej
Human being with feelings

Default Custom Tool Bar Icons

Hello,

I have been using Reaper for a few months and need some help with custom tool bar icons that don't appear to be behaving as I thought they would. I am using v6.7 win64.

I have created a custom tool bar, and added a number of custom actions. The actions have a reascript associated with them, and I have assigned some out-of-the box icons to those actions. I have also created a few custom icons, and assigned them to some of the actions as well.

As I understand it, the icons have 3 statuses (indicated by possibly 3 different colours) ..... deactivated(off), hover and activated (on). However, my icons only seem to display the deactivated and hover status (not the activated status). Any custom icons I use have been created as a 30x90 PNG image.

When I display the "Customize menus/toolbars" window to maintain any of the actions of the toolbar, and if I highlight one of the actions on the left hand side of the window, I can see that the associated icon is correctly displayed with an activated status (ie. correct image/colour) in the toolbar preview section at the bottom of the window.

However, when the toolbar is actually open for use, icons only operate with 2 statuses. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I click on the icon and keep the mouse button depressed, the correct activated status is showing. Once I release the button, the incorrect activated status is showing. Does this mean that I need to control the icon image/colour/status from my script? If so, are there specific functions that I can use to do this, as I have searched and can’t seem to find anything related. I thought icon status changes would be auto-handled based on mouse actions, but maybe I don't understand how tool bar icons work.

Thanks very much for your help.
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #2
IDDQDSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grej View Post
Hello,

As I understand it, the icons have 3 statuses (indicated by possibly 3 different colours) ..... deactivated(off), hover and activated (on).
Slight correction: The 3 statuses are from left to right (when you are creating the icons): Idle (just how they show), Hover or pressed (they're lit up) and Armed. You get the armed icon when you right click the icon. This will arm the action, meaning while it's armed, simply left clicking will run the action. This is useful for toolbar icons that do something you may want to repeat, like arm the action and then your mouse essentially turns into a split or a reverse tool. So then clicking any item will split or reverse it (based on whatever the underlying action is)

To make stuff have an "activate" mode you have two options:
-By default, any action with the word 'Option' in front of it, or any other action that has a state in the action list (which is on or off) for example Ripple editing, or sync MIDI editor and main window, etc. will automatically have this feature. When the state is on, the button will display in the second thumbnail state, same as when you hover or click on it, and when the state is off, the icon shows as the default idle.

-Any other action or custom script you made or downloaded, you can make it have a state by creating a cycle action, and then ticking the Toggle box in the cycle action editor. That way the first time the action is run, it will be 'on' and its toolbar icon will display the hover state, and the second time it will turn itself off!

Hope this helps
IDDQDSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:28 AM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDQDSound View Post
You get the armed icon when you right click the icon.
For quite a long time you can use actions for arming:
Action: Arm next action
Action: Disarm action
Action: Toggle arm of next action
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #4
IDDQDSound

Right but the original question was about toolbars. You can use actions or you can right click the icon.
IDDQDSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDQDSound View Post
Right but the original question was about toolbars. You can use actions or you can right click the icon.
You also can add custom actions containing the actions above to toolbars.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote