Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 09-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #41
matt_t
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
for me, like Justin wrote, ESC also always closes the FX Chain here in Reaper v6.66 x64 Linux
(no matter if there are more plugin or some deleted, it always highlights one plugin in the list after deleting a plugin and ESC closes whole window, even if no plugin is highlighted/selected).
I believe you, but please also believe me. I can bypass, rearrange order, toggle offline etc etc, and ESC closes the FX chain window at once, but not after remove.

For me, no plugin is highlighted after remove, which is different to you. However, if I open an FX chain, then click in a blank space so no FX is selected, ESC still closes the window. But then I have clicked in a blank space, which is what I need to do after removing a plugin for ESC to work, which is a bit of a light-in-the-refrigerator thing.

REAPER.ini attached. Windows 8.1 64-bit, 64-bit REAPER.

Edit: just tried a clean portable install, and it is the same.
Attached Files
File Type: ini REAPER.ini (21.6 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by matt_t; 09-04-2022 at 09:59 AM.
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:04 AM   #42
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_t View Post
It does, but only if you click in a blank space in the fx list first. Whereas you don't need to do that if you haven't removed an fx.
Are third party plugins involved then?

Can you reproduce it with stock only plugins. JSFX effects?

Looks like the the FX window somehow losts focus when you remove the plugin (again native or 3rd party one?), that's why you have to click into the list are to focus the window.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #43
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
hmm escape always closes the fx chain here
After I remove an FX from a fx chain window (clicking the Remove button with mouse) the input focus goes to no-mans land, keyboard doesn't do anything and get a Windows beep sound, only Global shortcuts still work, so I have to click with mouse to get focus back on fx chain, then I can press ESC key and it will close.

Win10_x64

EDIT: Made a little app to get focused window classname and handle, after clicking remove button seems nothing has focus.

Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #44
matt_t

^ What Edgemeal said
Old 09-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #45
akademie

It looks like your plugins are bridged (e.g. 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Reaper, or Run as separadte/dedicated process,...).
Then the behavior is similar you describe, plugin is focused but as it is running in another process, its FX window in main Reaper process has lost the focus. And by clicking it (even the blank space in the list) you regain the focus.

(I've tried to reproduce your behavior by adding the ReaGate as separate process...)
Old 09-06-2022, 06:05 AM   #46
matt_t

I don't think it's anything to do with bridging - or at least it may happen with bridging but it also definitely happens without. Edgemeal's example is all ReaPlugs, and I don't suppose he went to the trouble of extracting them from a 32-bit install to use in a 64-bit one. Anyway, I'm 99.9% sure that it happens whatever VST/JS plugins are in the chain, and I've never run ReaPlugs as any type of process except the default (has anyone?). Not at my REAPER computer at the moment, but will check later and if I'm wrong I'll eat my hat.

Last edited by matt_t; 09-06-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #47
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
After I remove an FX from a fx chain window (clicking the Remove button with mouse) the input focus goes to no-mans land, keyboard doesn't do anything...
NOTE: This behavior doesn't happen if the FX you are removing is the last one in the list.
So when testing this behavior make sure you have more then one FX in the list!
Old 09-06-2022, 12:44 PM   #48
akademie

Ohh, finally got it.

After reading through, the using "Remove" button in FX Chain window is the key element.

CONFIRMING !!!
that if you click this "Remove" button, then the window focus is immediately lost. You can verify it if you click the Remove button and hold it, FX in list is not already highlighted(active) and then after you release the mouse, FX is deleted and focus is still lost.

(By using the right click menu or Delete key the problem does not exit)

EDIT:
The problem is in Windows (tested with Reaper v6.66 in Windows 10 x64 and Windows 7 Pro x86).
In Linux it works OK (quickly tested now with Reaper v6.66 in Linux Mint 18.2 x64)

Last edited by akademie; 09-06-2022 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #49
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
(By using the right click menu or Delete key the problem does not exit)
Ya, but after 6.5 years of clicking the Remove button with mouse I don't want to change my workflow now, so I came up with a simple fix/workaround, If you're already running a background script and have Julian's extension installed you can call this function from your defer loop.

Code:
function FixNoFocus()
  if reaper.JS_Window_GetFocus() ~= nil then return end
  if reaper.JS_Window_GetParent(reaper.JS_Window_GetForeground()) == reaper.GetMainHwnd() then
    local lv = reaper.JS_Window_FindChildByID(reaper.JS_Window_GetForeground() ,0x434)
    if lv then reaper.JS_Window_SetFocus(lv) end
  end
end
It works like this, if there is no control focus then check if the foreground window is a child of reaper, if it is then check if the window has a specific child (fx chain listview control), if it does then set focus on the listview control.