Old 11-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #1
Frank Lee Scarlett
Human being with feelings

Default On second thought.....

Never Mind.

EDIT: Added a silly video to this one....

https://peaceriot.net/track/3256932/never-mind

Any mix advice and/or production ideas are always welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 12-03-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
41TWIN

I'm basically in awe of how clean and hi fi sounding your songs are. are u recording your guitars direct with modelers? And are the drums you playing? Its all very professional sounding. Hopefully u dont take this negatively but i hear a faint resemblance to Weird Al in this one. I like him though. I wasnt like laughing like i do with him but theres something about your sound that reminds me of him. Might be the vocals.

Good job man. It sounded really good on my phone with sony run of the mill headphones.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #3
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
I'm basically in awe of how clean and hi fi sounding your songs are. are u recording your guitars direct with modelers? And are the drums you playing? Its all very professional sounding. Hopefully u dont take this negatively but i hear a faint resemblance to Weird Al in this one. I like him though. I wasnt like laughing like i do with him but theres something about your sound that reminds me of him. Might be the vocals.

Good job man. It sounded really good on my phone with sony run of the mill headphones.
Hey man, thanx a lot.

I hear the Weird Al thing in my voice on this tune. I think when I go up, it thins out. I might re-do those parts. Sometimes, I just start singing without warming up or anything and this is the result. I can sing this much better.

The guitars are all direct with sims. I have a ton of free sims, but I always seem to go back to the old "Poulin/LePou" amps.

http://www.grebz.com/simulator_freea..._eng.php#soloc

I put them through a cab IR. Someone once gave me about a hundred free cab sims, mostly Marshall, with the mic in all kinds of different positions.

I'm playing drums...I'm doing everything, actually.

I find that my sound got better the more I kept it simple and stuck to what I know, which isn't much. I used to parallel compress my drums and try every trick I read about. Now, it's just down to one compressor for the whole kit and no fancy mixing "tricks".

Thanx for the feedback, brother.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #4
41TWIN

Wow!!! How many mics are u using on your drums? Ive been using two cuz i got a limited budget and a two channel scarlett 2i2. my chalkenge is keeping the cymbal sound at the right level comparison to the kick, snare and toms. plus im in my basement. ����

You got a great drum sound and playing is wonderful.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:13 AM   #5
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Wow!!! How many mics are u using on your drums? Ive been using two cuz i got a limited budget and a two channel scarlett 2i2. my chalkenge is keeping the cymbal sound at the right level comparison to the kick, snare and toms. plus im in my basement. ����

You got a great drum sound and playing is wonderful.
Thanx. I'm a drummer first, other instruments second, and vocals a distant third.

I use 10 mics: Kik, 2Xsnare, 4X toms, 3Xoverheads.

But you don't need that much. I used 4 mics for a long time: kik, snare, 2Xoverheads. That worked too. But I wanted more control over things.

If you could get two more mics, it would help...but then you'd need another interface, so it's up to you if it's worth it. I'm going to listen to your tunes later. I can't listen right now.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Frank Lee Scarlett

Just giving this a little bump, since someone bumped almost every other thread but this one. This one almost ended up on page 2 and it's barely even been 48 hours.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
msundh

Nice song, great mix.
Your vocal skill are better than distant third
Old 11-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
b_elliott123

Another good song.
I can hear a King's X "Over My Head" vibe at times-- heavier riffing but your voice can cut it.
Just a thought for down the road if that heavier vibe interested you at all.

Cheers, Bill
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #9
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Nice song, great mix.
Your vocal skill are better than distant third
Thanx a lot brother. To be honest, I'm able to sing well as far as hitting notes and arranging and singing harmonies, etc...The problem is the actual sound of my voice. It's just not a very pleasant sounding voice to me. I know most people think the same thing about their own voices. But that doesn't make me feel better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_elliott123 View Post
Another good song.
I can hear a King's X "Over My Head" vibe at times-- heavier riffing but your voice can cut it.
Just a thought for down the road if that heavier vibe interested you at all.

Cheers, Bill
Thanx a lot, B. Holy crap. I never heard that King's X's tune. What an amazing tune...well, parts of it anyway. Love the riffage, it's exactly up my alley as far as what I TRY to write. I don't know these guys. Definitely have to listen to more of them and steal some of their ideas.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
b_elliott123

Cool to hear this.
I first learned of King's X through a Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big/Steve Vai bassist) interview (early 90s) that while he was on the road travelling, his go-to listen was "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska"; that LP suddenly was on my radar--a stellar production.
Looking forward to more from you,
Bill
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:55 AM   #11
msundh

I saw a music documentary and Tony Visconti talked about Bowie. He had low confidence about his voice. Tony said most famous singers are the same except Rod Stewart
Old 12-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #12
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_elliott123 View Post
Cool to hear this.
I first learned of King's X through a Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big/Steve Vai bassist) interview (early 90s) that while he was on the road travelling, his go-to listen was "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska"; that LP suddenly was on my radar--a stellar production.
Looking forward to more from you,
Bill
I've heard their name over the years, but they never seemed to be on my radar for some reason. They probably deserved more recognition.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I saw a music documentary and Tony Visconti talked about Bowie. He had low confidence about his voice. Tony said most famous singers are the same except Rod Stewart
I didn't know that about Bowie. I always got the impression he was very proud and confident about his voice. I know John Lennon, one of my favourite rock voices, didn't like his own voice, which is hard to believe.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #14
Frank Lee Scarlett

Added a video for the song. I am not a graphic artist of any kind, as witnessed by my attempt at adding something visual to to this.