Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Default Some help with rtconfig and narrow tracks?

Hey there theming-pros.
I have a theme based on the WT mod of the V6 theme (thanks WT!) that I am getting pretty dialed in to my needs. A couple of things that I cant seem to get my head around though:
- I'd like to hide the meter divisions + readout on narrow tracks (in my case layout B) AND to show the volume label instead. Any ideas of code to achive this?
- In addition I'd like to set another default height on narrow tracks, the code for this in rtconfig doesnt seem to change anything...

I have a few other niggles but these two are def the most important ones for me right now.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
mlprod

When it comes to showing the vol label in narrow mode, these are the current code lines. How to allow volume label also in narrow mode? (first section is active now obviously)

set mcp.volume.label ?narrowMode{0} [0]

+ [stretch_sec stretch_sec mcp.meter{2}] * scale h<hide_volume_label_s{0} [1 0 28 4] !labelsMode{0} [1 0 28 4] [1 0 28 23]

; + h<hide_volume_label_s{0} [1 0 28 4] !labelsMode{0} [1 0 28 4] [1 0 28 23] ;[stretch_sec stretch_sec mcp.meter{2}]
Old 10-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The third line you've quoted is a commented out line that I should have removed from the code (and now have, thanks!) so you can ignore it. This is all you are seeing:

Code:
set mcp.volume.label                     	?narrowMode{0} [0] \
What that says is : are you in narrow mode? Yes. So it uses the first settings it finds, which is [0] ...which means 'draw nothing'. If you want it to draw something, that's where you'll type it. Note, however, that there's no gap for the label and you're not allowed to draw over the meter, so you'll need to shrink the meter to create one. Probably by messing with the 2nd and 4th values in the [4 4 20 -31] coordinates of the mcp.meter line, though I haven't tested that.

If this is your first try at messing with WALTER, please note that I caution against messing with the default theme as a first experience, there are much simpler themes to cut your teeth on!
Old 10-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The third line you've quoted is a commented out line that I should have removed from the code (and now have, thanks!) so you can ignore it. This is all you are seeing:

Code:
set mcp.volume.label                     	?narrowMode{0} [0] \
What that says is : are you in narrow mode? Yes. So it uses the first settings it finds, which is [0] ...which means 'draw nothing'. If you want it to draw something, that's where you'll type it. Note, however, that there's no gap for the label and you're not allowed to draw over the meter, so you'll need to shrink the meter to create one. Probably by messing with the 2nd and 4th values in the [4 4 20 -31] coordinates of the mcp.meter line, though I haven't tested that.

If this is your first try at messing with WALTER, please note that I caution against messing with the default theme as a first experience, there are much simpler themes to cut your teeth on!
Thanks for your insight WT, I did some progress but you are of course right, the v6 theme seems much harder in the rtconfig-sense to get a grip on for a theming beginner (for a good reason I am sure).

Ill just put it out there: I would gladly pay someone some euros or dollars to get me what I want here, basically these (simple?) things:

- Set the default height of narrow tracks by X amount. (a touch less in my case)
- Remove the mcp.meter.readout and mcp.recmon from narrow tracks only.
- Scale the meter down (in height) to make room for the volume label on top of the meter. (also narrow tracks only)

Who's in?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Hey there theming-pros.
I have a theme based on the WT mod of the V6 theme (thanks WT!) that I am getting pretty dialed in to my needs. A couple of things that I cant seem to get my head around though:
- I'd like to hide the meter divisions + readout on narrow tracks (in my case layout B) AND to show the volume label instead. Any ideas of code to achive this?
- In addition I'd like to set another default height on narrow tracks, the code for this in rtconfig doesnt seem to change anything...

I have a few other niggles but these two are def the most important ones for me right now.

Thanks
1) You can enable the label setting in the Theme Adjuster under the 'B' tab.

2) you can create a new layout that ignores that theme adjuster setting for the labels.

3) you can create an new layout that ignores or is not affected by any of the theme adjuster settings.

see the RTconfig in any of my version 6 themes for examples.
LCS_BluTone-6
LCS_Flat-6
LCS_Flat-6_MBE
ZeroDarkSix

The A, B & C layout sections have custom, 'nested' layouts that are affected by the theme adjuster.

The Separator layouts are not 'nested', so they are not affected by the theme adjuster.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 10-08-2020 at 09:31 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:09 AM   #6
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
1) You can enable the label setting in the Theme Adjuster under the 'B' tab.

2) you can create a new layout that ignores that theme adjuster setting for the labels.

3) you can create an new layout that ignores or is not affected by any of the theme adjuster settings.

see the RTconfig in any of my version 6 themes for examples.
LCS_BluTone-6
LCS_Flat-6
LCS_Flat-6_MBE
ZeroDarkSix

The A, B & C layout sections have custom, 'nested' layouts that are affected by the theme adjuster.

The Separator layouts are not 'nested', so they are not affected by the theme adjuster.

Thanks! This helped a lot, makes sense just making a new layout from scratch like you did, very good.
Do you know why I cant touch the track heights? I want my narrow tracks to be a little less high...
Old 10-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Thanks! This helped a lot, makes sense just making a new layout from scratch like you did, very good.
Do you know why I cant touch the track heights? I want my narrow tracks to be a little less high...
not sure what is meant by this.
I would need an example.

To be clear, the nested layouts in themes I listed are not really from scratch.
I am using the additive (function? expression?) to alter or move the element to where I want it.
The code still relies on the original default theme code.
I've used the clear cmd for certain elements, but they are tied to an element that has not been cleared.

The Separator layouts would be 'from scratch'.
Those layouts are not tied to anything in the code for the default.
Those layouts are also incredibly simple, since they don't use any elements found in other layouts.

I will say at this point that if you are new to this, it would be instructive for you created a new theme with no layouts and only the pre-WALTER code at the top.
Going through the process of creating one layout will very helpful for you to understand basic code from other themes when looking at them for ideas.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
mlprod

Quote:
not sure what is meant by this.
I would need an example.

To be clear, the nested layouts in themes I listed are not really from scratch.
I am using the additive (function? expression?) to alter or move the element to where I want it.
The code still relies on the original default theme code.
I've used the clear cmd for certain elements, but they are tied to an element that has not been cleared.

The Separator layouts would be 'from scratch'.
Those layouts are not tied to anything in the code for the default.
Those layouts are also incredibly simple, since they don't use any elements found in other layouts.

I will say at this point that if you are new to this, it would be instructive for you created a new theme with no layouts and only the pre-WALTER code at the top.
Going through the process of creating one layout will very helpful for you to understand basic code from other themes when looking at them for ideas.

Yea sorry just sloppy language from me, what I meant was "more Reaper v5 style code". Anyway, I got everything working now except that I would like to set default heihgt for the various layouts. Seems like that is some code above that prohibits this no?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
lucas_LCS

Quote:
would like to set default heihgt for the various layouts. Seems like that is some code above that prohibits this no?
as mentioned in my previouspost, I'm not sure what is meant by this.
I would need an example.
1) the height you can pull the entire mixer down to
2) the height you can pull the individual mixer track down to expose more FX/Send list or more FX parameters

For #1: In the pre-WALTER code at the top of the RTConfig there is an entry named:
mcp_min_height
change the number next to it control how small the mixer can pull down before it stops.

This does not seem to affect the individual tracks when pulling down to expose more of the Fx list.

For #2: Not sure this can be done.
From what I can tell, the 'mcp.size' entry in the layout is only there to coordinate the elements within the layout.

you would need to use the height parameter (h> or h<)to switch the elements to a static position from sliding or stretching before that position is arrived at.

If you can give me an example of a theme that does what you want, it would be easier to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
mlprod

Quote:
as mentioned in my previouspost, I'm not sure what is meant by this.
I would need an example.
1) the height you can pull the entire mixer down to
2) the height you can pull the individual mixer track down to expose more FX/Send list or more FX parameters
None of the above. I want to change the default height of new tracks when they are created (or when layout is changed). So basically a line of code for each layout defining their starting height when created.

Been searching around for some code that can achieve this but no luck so far.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #11
lucas_LCS

Quote:
None of the above. I want to change the default height of new tracks when they are created (or when layout is changed). So basically a line of code for each layout defining their starting height when created.

Been searching around for some code that can achieve this but no luck so far.
The closest thing I can think of is a setting for the default height of the new layouts, but that affects all layouts the same way, IIRC.
I thought it was in Project Settings or Preferences, but don't see it now, so I'm not sure where it is anymore.

I don't recall ever seeing code for this in WALTER.
Is there a theme that has that feature?

Old 10-12-2020, 02:41 AM   #12
mlprod

Quote:
The closest thing I can think of is a setting for the default height of the new layouts, but that affects all layouts the same way, IIRC.
I thought it was in Project Settings or Preferences, but don't see it now, so I'm not sure where it is anymore.

I don't recall ever seeing code for this in WALTER.
Is there a theme that has that feature?

Yea I think it might not be possible, but thanks for all the help!