Old 01-13-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
midnightvelvet
Human being with feelings

Default DIY fader not working

Hello, I have used Reaper for years, but can't seem to figure out a hardware issue.

I ordered a single USB fader from ebay, and there is a button that you hold which allows you to move the fader to control whichever CC you want. I want to control expression of my strings libraries, so if the library maps expression to CC 11, I hold the button and move the fader to 11 (there's an LED showing the number). I let go of the button at 11 and it's set.

However, even though I added it to MIDI devices as I do with any controller (i.e. I just mimicked control of my FaderPort 8 and others) I see the meter go as if it's receiving signal, but it doesn't move what I set the CC to. The seller tells me the fader is set to channel 2 (which I can't change on the fader itself), so I'm hoping I'm not SOL on this device.

Any thoughts?
midnightvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
domzy

So are you saying the problem is that it is on a different MIDI channel to the strings?
If so, just use a MIDI plugin or route it in such a way as to change the channel
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
midnightvelvet

I don't know, I guess that's part of what I'm asking.

I don't think I need to use a MIDI plugin, which also defeats the purpose of this. It should operate like the mod wheel of a MIDI keyboard, as in, I plug it in, set up the device in options, and it's ready.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightvelvet View Post
I don't think I need to use a MIDI plugin, which also defeats the purpose of this. It should operate like the mod wheel of a MIDI keyboard, as in, I plug it in, set up the device in options, and it's ready.
Yes, but by default the mod wheel of a keyboard is sending out to the same channel that its keys are.

Are you trying to use a keyboard at the same time as this controller? Or are you trying to add expression to some pre-recorded midi?

(If you don't know what's meant by midi channel, and how to configure reaper appropriately for your devices, you need to do a bit of reading. )
Old 01-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
domzy

what jrk said.

if you need to change the channel of the fader (and the keys are on the same track at the same time) you could use the JS MIDI router/transpose plugin to change the channel (of non-notes).
Otherwise you can just route it to the relevant MIDI channel in Reaper's routing.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
midnightvelvet

I use a Roland FP-60, which doesn't have wheels. This fader is replacing an M-Audio Keystation that I only used the mod wheel of. And I would only use this fader while recording, not after the fact (although if I could get that working too I'd be into it).

Are these plugins you're referencing something I'd have to put on every track I want to use it on? Because, uh, that sucks if so.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
jrk

It depends how you're plugging your midi together.

If you're plugging two devices directly to your computer, and both the keyboard and the controller are showing up as devices, you need to set the track to take its midi input from "all devices" "all channels".

That'll get you some midi recorded.

Now, we don't know what channels your strings vsti is responding to... this is something you'll need to find out / possibly configure.

If it will only listen on one channel, you need a way of combining multiple channels (as recorded) onto one channel. There are plugins for this job.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
midnightvelvet

Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm not at home at the moment, but the first thing I'll check is what MIDI channels some of the libraries are using. I feel like I've only ever seen them set to All Channels, but I'll find out soon. I don't do complicated routing/out/sends kinda stuff, so clearly I haven't checked all that.

I'll seek out plugins afterward if it seems necessary.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
midnightvelvet

On another note after doing some more research, I came across this action:

+SWS/S&M: Set selected tracks MIDI input to all channels (from this page - https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues/291)

It sounds like this would be a possible work around too, where I'd just have a single button to push on the selected track to have all channels.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightvelvet View Post
On another note after doing some more research, I came across this action:

+SWS/S&M: Set selected tracks MIDI input to all channels (from this page - https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues/291)

It sounds like this would be a possible work around too, where I'd just have a single button to push on the selected track to have all channels.
i think this action just sets the track to listen on all MIDI channels, i think what you might need to do is force it to a particular channel.
You can do this with a plugin or you can use the "map input to channel" option (in your MIDI input selector dropdown) if you are recording
Old 01-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
midnightvelvet

Well, I can't use the drop down menu because setting a track to Input: MIDI channel 2 has no sound. But the fader is on 2.

I haven't been able to find a plugin like you're describing.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
midnightvelvet

Just made progress: figured out getting the fader to control the CC I want, but it involved changing the track to Input: MIDI Channel 2. But again, this isn't the mapping for the sample library, so I have no sound. Hopefully someone can get me to the finish line from here.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
jrk

Well, you've been told what you need to do, and a number of ways you could do it, so I guess it's up to you now.

Have a read of the user guide.

All the best.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #14
midnightvelvet

Ugh, apologies, when I saw talk of plugins I thought it was one I'd need to download and overlooked the JS MIDI Router mentioned before. That seems to be the trick.

Thanks for the input, pun intended.