Old 09-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Sound gone except for Reaper

Excuse me if I am in the wrong forum with this question.

I don't fancy going to the computer shop at the moment so I thought I would tap into the brains of you knowledgeable folks here, first of all, if you don't mind.

I have some videos that I am using to learn some blues licks on my keyboard.

So I had the video open in VLC and was using my keyboard in Reaper to follow and practice what is going on in the video.

I left the machine on for a couple of hours and then went back to practise a couple of blues licks. Tried to start the video and there was no sound at all.

Reaper is fine. All the sound is there. I can play the keyboards and can play all my projects (I hope I am not tempting fate).

I went on the Internet to see if I could hear Youtube videos. No sound either. I have a midimusicsheet program (plays sheet music, shows the notes on a keyboard, shows the names of the notes (A, B, C... or Doh Ray Me,... loops, slows down) - no sound.

I looked in the control panel. In playback it shows that everything is going through Focusrite and below that it it says for Speakers "high definition device not plugged in" and that is greyed out. The speakers are connected because they play all the sound from my Reaper projects.

A virus is unlikely because I have a virus program and I rarely go on the Internet with this machine as it it my "music" computer.

Any ideas please?

As I say I don't fancy going to the local computer shop having to don a mask and all the tralala. I might be able to persuade them to have a look using Teamviewer!

Thank you in advance.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
maxdembo

What focusrite thing do you have and what software is it using?

Focusrite recently dropped win 10 support for things like my Saffire Pro 24 DSP. The latest windows update killed the driver and software and I had to reinstall drivers and saffire mix control.

My focusrite also occassionaly goes wacky if something tries to change the sample rate. Makes somethings work and others no work.

Anyway, if you aint using saffire mix control, ignore everything I just typed
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:39 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks for getting back to me Maxdembo.

I have a Scarlett Focusrite.

In the meantime, just as I was poised to phone the shop, I found a link this morning explaining things to try if you have no sound on your computer

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/no-sou...es-windows-10/

(although I did have sound in Reaper but nothing else) and surprisingly it was was tip number 7 "Try the audio troubleshooter" that solved the problem. Surprising because I have had very little success with the rroubleshooters in the past.

So no need to go to the shop, for the time being.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Win Conway

Shared vs exclusive, the driver for the Focusrite probably cant share between two running pieces of software if one of them is ASIO.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:59 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks Win Conway.

In fact my son was saying something similar yesterday such that Internet videos and other videos on the computer sometime get confused as a result of an interface (using ASIO).

He said he gets that from time to time. However, I forgot to ask how he solved the problem on each occassion, as it would be interesting to find out what my computer's troubleshooter function did to remedy the situation.

I will come back to you as soon as I get an answer. It might be valuable information if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Thanks Win Conway.

In fact my son was saying something similar yesterday such that Internet videos and other videos on the computer sometime get confused as a result of an interface (using ASIO).

He said he gets that from time to time. However, I forgot to ask how he solved the problem on each occassion, as it would be interesting to find out what my computer's troubleshooter function did to remedy the situation.

I will come back to you as soon as I get an answer. It might be valuable information if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.
Turn off allowing applications exclusive control over the interface, and keep an eye on those sample rates changing
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

Thanks maxdembo