Old 09-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Ddrumz
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Drums using MTPDK2

Hi all,

I'm trying to record drums to Reaper. I started recording using my Alesis DM10 MKII with MT PowerDrumkit 2. So far i'm able to record a track successfully while using PowerDrumkit, with the exception of the hi-hat and hi-hat pedal. For some reason, this does not produce any sound even though I can hear it through my drum's module. I made sure that I am using the correct MIDI mapping recommended for REAPER. I tried adjusting the mixer on the plug-in, but didn't have any luck. I noticed that the MIDI is mapped for hi-hat and hi-hat pedal, but it appears that the hi-hat on my kit does not trigger a note. It works fine for my other pads/cymbals. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Does anyone have a recommendation for a better plug-in for recording e-drums?
Ddrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
b2001

So i am sure you have the input set up as midi - dm10 - all channels, or a specific channel.

If you set the output to midi, and record and play - do you get recorded midi notes including those of the hihats?

Trying to establish for sure that hihat midi events are getting to reaper....
b2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
toleolu

If you created multiple midi tracks for the drums, did you check the output in the drum kit mixer, out 1 out 2 etc. at the bottom of each mixer track, to make sure it's sending the output to the appropriate Reaper track?

Also, in the mixer, if the hi hat is panned either left or right, you might try centering it see if maybe theirs a panning problem.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Ddrumz

I tried to set the output to midi and still got the same results. The hi-hat pedal gives me output but not the hi-hat itself.

@toleolu
I've tried creating multiple midi tracks but got the same result. I haven't checked to make sure it's sending the correct output to the correct track. What should the output look like for each track? I haven't tried panning, but I will see if that helps. What kind of setup do you use or recommend using?
Ddrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrumz View Post
@toleolu
I've tried creating multiple midi tracks but got the same result. I haven't checked to make sure it's sending the correct output to the correct track. What should the output look like for each track? I haven't tried panning, but I will see if that helps. What kind of setup do you use or recommend using?
I couldn't make a decent enough screen shot to show you, but if you'll look at this video:

https://youtu.be/n9rMla_kgWI

He's not using Reaper, but if you fast forward to 25:43 and you'll see him setting the output from the mixer.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
b2001

So if you are not able to record hihat midi events in reaper, it would seem the dm10 is not sending them to reaper to begin with?

Don’t know if midi-yoke or something similar could be used to verify that midi events for the high hat are being sent...

You might try creating midi events in reaper to “drive” the dm10’s sound module to see if you can trigger the hihat...
b2001 is online now   Reply With Quote