Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #441
tls11823
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Lies.
You did not learn to read roman numeral notation when you were ten years old unless it was trivial stuff like "this is the I and this is a V"
I never said I learned roman numeral notation - I said musical notation. I'm talking about reading from a staff and being able to play what's there. I was responding to your odd assertion that only elite people with decades of experience could read sheet music.

You really seem to be having trouble with the fact that people aren't jumping up and down in response to your proposal. You don't like staff notation - we get it. So you're trying to come up with something new that the world will embrace, meaning people need to learn it and software needs to adopt it.

It's the Esperanto for the new millennium, and we all know how well that's taken over the world.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #442
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
I was responding to your odd assertion that only elite people with decades of experience could read sheet music.
I never said that and the OP says it is not talking about sheet music notation AND I have repeatedly replied in this thread that I am not talking about modifying staff!

Quote:
You don't like staff notation
I never said that either, see above. Please for the love of hendrix will some reading comprehension be added to this thread by someone? Would you like to re-read the OP?

The MUSIC NOTATION and MUSIC THEORY which is flawed in music is specifically roman numerals and the use of a non-base-12 system! And to cap it off, I have quoted 'modern' famous composers starting from 1910-1920's era who agree 100% with everything I've pointed out so far in the flawed ancient system! (facepalm!)

Even the word 'music' itself is mostly nonsense, referring to a muse, not even necessarily the generator of pitches or rhythm. There is literally no accurate word in latin or english for the stuff everyone here spends hours of their lives doing. What the flippant responders miss completely, is that music notation is an area of active study for the highest professionals. But oh, it's too bad there's so many nay sayers who have their fingers stuck up their bass claiming they know all about music theory yet actually don't know anything beyond what was developed in the 1700's? I am noooo expert on music theory but I am not close minded as half the replies here and have cited dozens of examples of problems so far including software developers who have tried to tackle the problems in various ways. So you tell me, oh, "we get it" ? Seems to me the trolls on this thread are the ones who don't "get it", yet, add nothing here?

To reiterate:

Quote:
You really seem to be having trouble with the fact that people aren't jumping up and down in response to your proposal.
The problem I have is that I started a simple thread assuming I would get maybe one reply from software guy who is interested in writing a plugin. But instead there are dozens of replies from trolls who can't read and even replies bringing up fascism. Wtf?

I'm talking about writing a plugin for Reaper which will show a modernized music theory notation and everyone is so "interested" that they continue to troll with "Such a thing isn't necessary" or "I know music theory and no one needs that" or "What does this have to do with Reaper?" Are you kidding me??

Last edited by superblonde.org; 08-28-2020 at 03:58 PM.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #443
Pashkuli
Banned

I have been working on my PMN system (Plain Notation System) for the past few years. Actually I had it in mind way back in the mid 2000s but that was only as a "creative" exercise of thought.

Its purpose is to be 1:1 mappable to the notes played, regardless of how you would call your tonality or mode or key (signature). No accidentals needed for that matter either.

A secondary purpose of it is concise and "compressed" layout. It saves up to 50% of vertical space... sometimes even 70%, other times just 20% (when extensive chords have been used on multiple hands and instruments, etc.).

Here is a short comparison between PMN and the "standard" music notation.
Shown are the first 7 bars from Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu". Enjoy the comparison!

this is the mapping diagram on a "standard" piano keyboard (same applies to MIDI-roll):

Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #444
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post

To be clear to others about what we are talking about here, a link to the Plain Notation System?
Yes, a fairly recent update has been uploaded again:

http://musicnotation.org/wiki/notati...m-by-pashkuli/
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote