Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 01-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
DeepMind
Human being with feelings

Default Is this possible (Reaper / 3D audio monitoring)

Hi

Is it possible to use my existing Denon AVR6500 and 10x Wharfedale speakers and somehow connect / link it to my Reaper DAW on my Windows PC to record, monitor and produce immersive 3D audio?

I'm excited by the idea of producing 3D audio but want to do this as cheaply as possible initially (ideally using speakers or monitors rather than headphones).

I do have Presonus Eris XT monitors connected to a Roland Octacapture interface for my stereo home studio set up and so another possibility would be to buy another Octacapture and connect them to give me enough analogue outputs and then to buy enough powered monitors which is far more expensive.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated as I've been trying to get my head around this for some time. I'd consider other ideas also if it's better to completely start from scratch.

Thank you..
DeepMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
timothys_monster

You should be able to send 8 channels via HDMI to your Denon amp. I am not sure if it has (8 channel) ADAT inputs as well. Usually the optical connections are only 2 channel SPDIF.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
DeepMind

Thanks for the reply.

I'd want to do 7.1.2 or 7.1.4. Can HDMI carry that many channels?

Also, am I correct in thinking that by not using the Roland Octacapture (it doesnt have HDMI), I would run into latency issues when trying record, mix and produce audio that way or would the Denon AVR be the audio interface?

Thanks again..
DeepMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:24 AM   #4
timothys_monster

I don't know enough about HDMI, but I am fairly certain that at least with HDMI version 1 you could send maximum 8 PCM channels (uncompressed audio) whereas you might have been able to send more in a compressed Dolby format.

HDMI 2.1 seems to be capable to send more independent channels, but I am not sure. Have a look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Main_specifications

Latency would definitely be an issue with HDMI compared to your Roland interface.

But then again, you couldn't send more than 8 channels via ADAT either. So, it seems - unless you can make HDMI work (maybe with a compressed format) - there is no way to connect 10+ channels with your Denon amplifier.

EDIT: Totally forgot to welcome you to this forum and our lovely community

Last edited by timothys_monster; 01-07-2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Welcome!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote