Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
IggyLites
Human being with feelings

Default Getting Stream Deck to work

Hello good people!

I bought a Stream Deck for another purpose through Companion but saw that there’s some Reaper code in there. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be as plug and play as i thought and Reaper isn’t responding to it. I’m sure there’s some setup step I’m missing. Anyone have any experience with this that could walk me through it?

Thanks
IggyLites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
MatFluor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyLites View Post
Hello good people!

I bought a Stream Deck for another purpose through Companion but saw that there’s some Reaper code in there. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be as plug and play as i thought and Reaper isn’t responding to it. I’m sure there’s some setup step I’m missing. Anyone have any experience with this that could walk me through it?

Thanks
First obvious question is if you have the companion app installed (stream deck control app thingie).
Then, stream deck per session is an empty slate, so you have to create buttons and shortcuts you want to use there using the companion app. As example, create a "Hotkey" button that has "m" as key, maybe add a nice picture and boom - you can set a marker. Here is my Streamdeck setup for example (sorry for the imgur link, but the picture is 74kB instead of 64....)

http://imgur.com/a/3GcxXL6
MatFluor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
IggyLites

I do and I have. Again I’ve used it with Companion with a lighting console. I assumed it would show up as a MIDI controller in Reaper but it’s not seeing it. I may be very mistaken about this though
Old 03-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
MatFluor

Quote:
I do and I have. Again I’ve used it with Companion with a lighting console. I assumed it would show up as a MIDI controller in Reaper but it’s not seeing it. I may be very mistaken about this though
Seems like you misunderstood, it is not a MIDI controller, it's a sophisticated key pad (as in typing, like an external numpad you can buy or laptops, just way fancier and nicer with the mini-screens, multi-actions and all). As of now, there is no OSC or MIDI capablity built-in.

Meaning you can lay hotkeys and Hotkey sequences on it, but not CC,MIDI or OSC. I hope that clears it up
MatFluor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
David Carlyon

I am thinking about getting one, but i am asking myself - is there anything i will gain from this that i do not already have from radial menu? That thing is amazing!!

It is hard to tell without having one for a while
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
EpicSounds

Quote:
Hi!

If you're using it with Companion you would add it as an OSC device in Reaper's control surfaces page of preferences.

Look for "Default.ReaperOSC" in the OSC folder and open in a text editor to see all the available commands.

With the normal streamdeck software you would be assigning actions to keyboard in reaper, then setting up the same keys in 'hotkey' buttons for the streamdeck.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
IggyLites

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Hi!

If you're using it with Companion you would add it as an OSC device in Reaper's control surfaces page of preferences.

Look for "Default.ReaperOSC" in the OSC folder and open in a text editor to see all the available commands.

With the normal streamdeck software you would be assigning actions to keyboard in reaper, then setting up the same keys in 'hotkey' buttons for the streamdeck.
Awesome! I have to find that folder but this is great. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
IggyLites

Actually that only gave me a Java error
Old 06-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
sostenuto

Ongoing enthusiasm on VI-C Forums re. Stream Deck, now XL @ $249. Users here must be getting much more capable with Reaper applications ?
Lots of posts re. Cubase, but what about Win10 Pro and Reaper ?
Also, I now footprint can be an issue for many, but puzzling over (1) SL vs (2) Std Stream Decks. Anyone feel an advantage with larger keys, lower key density, and perhaps different desktop placement ??
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
siniarch

I'm kind of interested in the StreamDeck. Seems like they have done a great job developing the software. I'm wondering if anyone is using it effectively with Reaper?

I have a Koolertron Keyboard with 48 keys. It does have 3 layers but I haven't used the layers. I basically have almost every key mapped to a Reaper command and even added modifiers (ALT, CTRL, SHIFT, SHIFT+CTRL, SHIFT+ALT, ALT+CTRL) the problem is that if I don't use it for a certain purpose, it's difficult to remember all the commands. Would be nice to have something with a screen that changed and indicated what it was doing, but not sure if it would be as fast as with a regular keyboard keys.
Here's my layout now.

Some of those keys that don't have labels, also have commands, but I haven't printed the lable.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
daxliniere

Hey guys,
Just picked up a Stream Deck and thinking about ways to interface it to REAPER. The obvious way is to set it up to send different key commands from each button press, but this is labourious for replacing toolbars with 20-30 buttons each.
I discovered there is a Stream Deck plugin which transmits MIDI (actually 2 people make a MIDI plugin). This would be a much easier way and I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally re-using key combinations. I'll still need to set up all of the MIDI notes for each button, of course.

I heard something about an OSC plugin for Stream Deck and wondered if that could be easier. Any experience/thoughts?
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
Blacklabel

Default Only need companion and a stream deck

In companion, add the instance for reaper.

Make sure you type in the correct IP address of the device you are trying to control.
And in the “target port” field type 8088 and in the “feedback port” field type 8099.
Did this on windows 10 machine.

Cheers

Last edited by Blacklabel; 11-15-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
daxliniere

What protocol does Companion use to talk to REAPER? And how do you assign keys to commands using that?

I have used the MIDI plugin and set up REAPER to read MIDI notes from a MIDI loopback driver connecting the Streamdeck to REAPER.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #14
Arbi_ph

Default Reaper DAW Control

I got Streamdeck and Touch Portal working as a control pad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200922_031556_rils.apps.touchportal.jpg (51.0 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper.jpg (40.0 KB, 360 views)
Arbi_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #15
Arbi_ph

Default Daw Controller

I have a Streamdeck setup as a Mackie controller for transport and mix.

https://servimg.com/view/20353330/10
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_5.png (51.6 KB, 161 views)
Arbi_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #16
minothi

Default Shrotcut icons for Stream Deck

Hi!
Anyone come across shortcut icons and presets for Reaper to be used on a Stream Deck? I have for Premiere Pro and a few other softwares I use, but I cant find for Reaper.
minothi is offline   Reply With Quote