Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
PopsAudio
Human being with feelings

Default What is with all the video crap??

I am probably alone in this opinion but I think Reaper is going in the wrong direction with including all the video crap. There are plenty of video programs out there that deal specifically with video production, why try to make Reaper a video and audio platform? I think improvements should be targeted to audio and refining Reaper in that area and not video. Would like to here the forum thoughts on this.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
kirk1701

ADR is very big business for many studios. Many high-end studios use Pro Tools for this application. Reaper is simply staying relevant.

They're not removing things from Reaper, they're only adding. You haven't lost anything. If you don't use the video functions/features, no one's holding a gun to your head.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsAudio View Post
I am probably alone in this opinion but I think Reaper is going in the wrong direction with including all the video crap. There are plenty of video programs out there that deal specifically with video production, why try to make Reaper a video and audio platform? I think improvements should be targeted to audio and refining Reaper in that area and not video. Would like to here the forum thoughts on this.
Turns out that a lot of folks enjoy watching videos. Some of these include sound. Some even feature sound like concert videos. Now the video guys would be good with the audio being distorted static...

Audio tools that let us give those guys a hand and rescue their audio are a good thing. It helps to be able to monitor the video while you work on their audio. Simple as that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
ADR is very big business for many studios. Many high-end studios use Pro Tools for this application. Reaper is simply staying relevant.

They're not removing things from Reaper, they're only adding. You haven't lost anything. If you don't use the video functions/features, no one's holding a gun to your head.
OK, for the home studio guys out here, what is ADR? I was not aware that Pro Fools was also a video editor. Staying relevant and adding stuff is what bloats a program as it tries to do all things for all purposes and ends up a bloated piece of software that does nothing well.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Turns out that a lot of folks enjoy watching videos. Some of these include sound. Some even feature sound like concert videos. Now the video guys would be good with the audio being distorted static...

Audio tools that let us give those guys a hand and rescue their audio are a good thing. It helps to be able to monitor the video while you work on their audio. Simple as that.
Thank you for that point of view. I am very interested to see where this post goes.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Tod

I can say that I for one, am glad Justin has added the video features we have, I use them quite a lot.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I can say that I for one, am glad Justin has added the video features we have, I use them quite a lot.
OK, great, thanks for the input!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Lokasenna

Quote:
OK, for the home studio guys out here, what is ADR? I was not aware that Pro Fools was also a video editor. Staying relevant and adding stuff is what bloats a program as it tries to do all things for all purposes and ends up a bloated piece of software that does nothing well.
- ADR -> Automated Dialog Replacement -> Actors overdubbing their lines in a studio if they couldn't get good audio at a filming location, etc.

- Anyone involved with the dialogue/effects/music for a piece of video might want to work with "real" audio software rather relying on their video software's audio capabilities.

- Every major DAW has video editing because it's pretty common to need both audio and video in some capacity, even if you're just adding the explosion sounds to a finished movie and you want overlays to help you with things like timing.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
toleolu

I don't use Reaper for video, I use a program called Power Director, works great for what I do, the audio sync feature makes taking audio from Reaper and applying it to a video a snap. Probably overall has a few more bells and whistles than Reaper video, but then again, it's 100 USD's for the version I use.

Personally I have no problems with the Reaper team developing video in Reaper, as long as they keep on top of things on the audio side.

Software is all about matching up a product with what your needs are. If the video editing capabilities of Reaper meet your specific needs, then by all means, go for it. If you need more features or what not, then there's a lot of programs out there to choose from.

Having choices is always a good thing.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
- ADR -> Automated Dialog Replacement -> Actors overdubbing their lines in a studio if they couldn't get good audio at a filming location, etc.

- Anyone involved with the dialogue/effects/music for a piece of video might want to work with "real" audio software rather relying on their video software's audio capabilities.

- Every major DAW has video editing because it's pretty common to need both audio and video in some capacity, even if you're just adding the explosion sounds to a finished movie and you want overlays to help you with things like timing.
Thanks for the explanation of ADR and your input. I guess I am just too focused on audio and not realizing that video is also important to Reaper users. As a home studio guy, I am learning something new from this post, thanks!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

REAPER wont be bloat at the current rate, even to 1990's standards, for another 50 years
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I don't use Reaper for video, I use a program called Power Director, works great for what I do, the audio sync feature makes taking audio from Reaper and applying it to a video a snap. Probably overall has a few more bells and whistles than Reaper video, but then again, it's 100 USD's for the version I use.

Personally I have no problems with the Reaper team developing video in Reaper, as long as they keep on top of things on the audio side.

Software is all about matching up a product with what your needs are. If the video editing capabilities of Reaper meet your specific needs, then by all means, go for it. If you need more features or what not, then there's a lot of programs out there to choose from.

Having choices is always a good thing.
Thanks for your input. I use Corel Video Studio for video and find it meets all my needs for video production (I am not a professional at it) and it seems to handle audio well to. Options/choices are a good thing! I will stick to Reaper for recording/editing audio and Corel for video.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
PopsAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
REAPER wont be bloat at the current rate, even to 1990's standards, for another 50 years
Thanks for that reassurance pipeline, makes me worry less about the bloat. It is just that I have seen it happen to other programs that started out great but then bloated to something that did not do anything well.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
Rednroll

Quote:
I'll add my thoughts on this since this is kind of a welcome and bitter pill at the same time. Myself, Pipelineaudio and a few others including Justin go way back as Sonic Foundry/Sony Vegas users. Back when Vegas originally started off as a DAW (Audio). Then SF/Sony started adding video features into Vegas. In the beginning, I didn't mind the video features because they did not get in the way of the audio features and it was nice having the capability of working on video without having to learn a totally different program/paradigm for the rare instances I needed to edit some video.

However, what seemed to happen over time was Vegas eventually seemed to get more of a Video editing user base, where Sony all but forgot about the audio/music user base who where looking for the latest and greatest new audio features in all subsequent releases but the only audio features we saw added were basic stuff which would benefit the video editing user base. Eventually, 95% of the audio user base got pissed off and switched tools. It's actually likely one of the reasons Justin kicked off the development on Reaper. Quite a few of the Vegas Audio user base jumped onboard with Reaper in it's early infant development stages. It was great having someone like Justin who was listening to us and providing new releases with new audio features on a daily basis while at the same time providing solutions to problems many were running into in Vegas where those frustrations were falling on Sony's deaf ears.

Fast Forward to today. My working environment has changed, where in the past it was mostly focused on audio, midi, and music creation. I hardly do that any longer, but what I'm working on now are YouTube video productions where the tools I need more are audio recording, editing and mixing tools as well as video editing and rendering capabilities. Working in 2 separate programs to do similar tasks which can be commonized as "multi-media" just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have time or ambition to be figuring out how to work in 2 different relatively complex workflow programs and importing/exporting between them. Therefore with that in mind, today I find myself working more and more in Vegas although I rather be working in Reaper.

I'm also seeing a lot of bands today not only creating, editing, and mixing their music in DAWs like Reaper, but I also see them further self promoting themselves by creating their own music videos and posting them on YouTube. I'm sure those folks appreciate the video feature additions in Reaper.

I therefore fully embrace and welcome more video feature additions in Reaper. Now with that stated, I endorse them as long as the audio user base and additional audio development eccentric tool set doesn't get forgotten about and abandoned like it did by Sony. However, I don't feel that will ever be the case with Reaper. Justin witnessed what that looked like with Sony Vegas and it didn't turn out pretty for them and the rest is history of what happened to Sony Vegas. The good thing to come out of all of that is "Reaper" and Reaper kicks the Lama's ass.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

@pipelineaudio

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-15-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
toleolu

As I mentioned, I don't use Reaper for video, but what little I know about it, and I could very well be wrong about this, is it appears that Reaper uses the VLC Media Player as it's video engine.

If that's the case, then I don't think you need to worry about resources being taken away from the audio side of Reaper as there is a whole community out there working on VLC Media Player. Also, with Reaper using VLC as the video engine, you don't have to worry about bloat in Reaper since all Justin and his team have to do is put the hooks in Reaper to use the video functions of VLC rather than re-creating all that stuff in Reaper itself.

Like I said, I could be wrong about how all that works, but if it is something like that, then that's a pretty slick way of doing things.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
Rednroll

Quote:
Not unless within that time Justin decides to cash in and sell it to Sony, Magix, Adobe, Etc.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Skijumptoes

Two words:- DaVinci Resolve

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...olve/fairlight

And it's free, stunning.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post

And it's free, stunning.
Are you aware of this free version limitation? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216795
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #19
pipelineaudio
Mortal

You know, I was TERRIFIED while I was typing that, that our old Vegas crew would make me totally eat my words, since I'm sure we all posted a few hundred posts similar to the OP

But as Rednroll says, the difference between the two development streams is night and day. We aren't losing essential audio features, and in so many ways, REAPER was the attempt to fix the audio shortcomings in Vegas

For the OP, don't worry one bit, there are absolutely RABID reaper audio users who will scream bloody murder and call upon armegeddon if the audio features of reaper suffer for video.

Rednroll, awesome to see you! And while you are here, I do have a video related problem Maybe you know some tricks:

I keep getting my youtbe videos DMCA struck by adrev and my facebook livestreams flagged by UMG which ends them on the spot, when people come on for live Q&A. These are all videos of me recording sounds in my studio and maybe applying EQ or compressors and showing gear and stuff, NONE of it is copyright able by someone else. I have been unable to find a support email for facebook or youtube, do you know any way to fight this? Usually the content is returned to me later, but I want to be whitelisted, I think
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:

And it's free, stunning.
I love it and own the pro version but it's audio section/editing stinks compared to reaper FYI. I still use Reaper's video for smaller stuff. As far as the limitations mentioned in free version, they are somewhat irrelevant but good to know. It really depends on the level of video needs.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #21
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
As far as the limitations mentioned in free version, they are somewhat irrelevant but good to know. It really depends on the level of video needs.
Totally, the free version is incredible, you would expect the amazing colour grading to be something omitted/limited.. But it's not - there's so much in there, GPU rendering is a great omission in my eyes vs limiting the feature set of what you can achieve with it.

And it enables such a wide scope of users to achieve so much with minimum financially investment, just as Reaper does. I'm so thankful these products exist.

For my use there's no reason i'd want to use Reaper for video/audio production. I'd rather push an audio file over to a video editor than the other way round, i prefer to adjust video based on audio source.

But i'm yet to do anything dramatic in there audio wise yet so will be interesting when/if i ever do. I use final cut for work occasionally, and as great as it is Resolve does steal my heart.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Totally, the free version is incredible
The main place GPU gets ya is manipulating video when compositing and filters on the timeline and/or 4k or other heavy formats. That sluggishness in the free version (when you hit it) is due to the GPU limitations. My general editing workflow sped up considerably with the paid version (because it applies across the board not just rendering) but....

I'd still have kept using the free version if necessary as overall it's more free video app than exists pretty much anywhere else on the planet - pretty amazing actually. But I still use Reaper in a couple of scenarios:

1. Even when going to davinci, if I have 5 camera shots, I want to align them all with the Reaper audio and decide which of several takes I want to keep. While doing so, I'll process the audio and export a master mix for Davinci.
2. If I'm not going to do anything special, then it's easier to just render directly from Reaper. If I need to do color matching/grading then obviously I'll use my passport and davinci.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #23
grayter1

I kind of get where the OP is coming from.

As an occasional freelance video editor and full time sound mixer, Reaper will never be Premiere, FCP or Avid. I use Premiere a great deal, and there's nothing feature-wise in Reaper that would make me switch. Reaper's video features and UI, when compared to a full fledged NLE, isn't even close, and I wouldn't attempt to do a paid gig with it.

However, the fact that Justin and crew have added these features is a good thing. Reaper's video stuff stays out of my way and I almost forget that it's there.

My biggest hope is that they continue to add more Post audio features - and here it comes - like Pro Tools. I'd like to be able to access my Blackmagic 4K Intensity Pro card for client monitoring, native OMF/AAF exchange (although AATranslator is an excellent stop gap), the ability to do pull ups and pull downs, multiple TC displays and the ability to retain audio handles after destructively adding effects like the RX7 stuff. You know, audio features for video... like... Pro Tools... And yes, Audio Suite is old, but I use it daily for Post work.

Either way, the video stuff isn't bothering me...

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 03-15-2019 at 02:20 PM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
TonE

Quote:
Because with audio Reaper is already 10 million years ahead of non-competition.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #25
foxAsteria

Few years too late for such broad criticism; it's definitely here to stay. Side note: (devs do what they like.)

Personally I like not having to learn a new program. I can edit video the same as editing audio. It's a little wonky, but I have nothing to compare to or needs beyond simple splicing and overlay.

Also, what do you do when you want to make a soundtrack for film if you can't watch the video in your DAW?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #26
woogish

I'm with the OP on this one....................
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
foxAsteria

I wish they'd stop fixing bugs all the time and add some proper DRM like the other big DAWs. Can we get some iLok up in here?! C'mon guys! Where are your priorities?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #28
Rednroll

Quote:
You know, I was TERRIFIED while I was typing that, that our old Vegas crew would make me totally eat my words, since I'm sure we all posted a few hundred posts similar to the OP
LOL! As I was reading the OP and then saw your response, you know I got a good chuckle. I was like....damn, that OP sounds like a post from Pipeline from like 15+ years ago.

Quote:

Rednroll, awesome to see you! And while you are here, I do have a video related problem Maybe you know some tricks:

I keep getting my youtbe videos DMCA struck by adrev and my facebook livestreams flagged by UMG which ends them on the spot, when people come on for live Q&A. These are all videos of me recording sounds in my studio and maybe applying EQ or compressors and showing gear and stuff, NONE of it is copyright able by someone else. I have been unable to find a support email for facebook or youtube, do you know any way to fight this? Usually the content is returned to me later, but I want to be whitelisted, I think
Sorry, I can't help you. I'm still in the recording and editing phases of my recent YouTube channel ventures. So I'm still a newb and have yet to run into those type of problems. Sure would pizz me off once I get this project further down the road and ran into that nonsense with nowhere to turn for help.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I wish

thanx4the sig! - lolz- cheekymonkeyiam
would be nice to get a working product if paid for--bugs really should=a reduction!
ok,sold as seen,and management holds all rights.
reaper imo,is like the blender of audio-fantastically customizable+quite inventive-but very reliant on 3rd party products + user inputs +is not 99% stable-for most purposes..
step by step - but please no half_stepping =as it's not fully reppin! (reaping!)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #30
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I wish they'd stop fixing bugs all the time and add some proper DRM like the other big DAWs. Can we get some iLok up in here?! C'mon guys! Where are your priorities?
Damn it! We need more Dongle support because I like all my USB ports having useless crap plugged into them! LOL!!!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #31
WyattRice

I've been waiting for them to come out with a pro version.

"Reaper Pro"
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #32
Bri1
Banned

lolz-- there's nothing to pirate if all is given for free to begin--the reaper nag screen just keeps on naggin--dongles serve a purpose the very same as people want to protect their recordings does--and if your down by law-well it's part of law to declare such sense,or nonsenses--people telling other people what to do and when is common practices if not known by now-but it need not be that way-and won't be much longer==heh.
reaper is quite capable for video as it's a matter of accessing what's already available on a system,unless reaper is doing otherwise process..eh...reaper can only use what is available to use,unless it creates something new to use..
the video editor does that-the way it does right now-not too shabby-but it's certainly not the brightest light in the omniverse-yet.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #33
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Damn it! We need more Dongle support because I like all my USB ports having useless crap plugged into them! LOL!!!
All my lusty naked ports just begging for some dongle...
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #34
Nip

Quote:
Agree fully - not running Reaper currently, but tested v5.4 last summer - and too much attention to overlap what any $50 video editor do anyway.

Once video is done, and can also be stripped down in resolution as well - for preview purposes in daw while making music to it. And when done audio track is pasted into video editor for final rendering.

And solution with VLC player is really heavy and slow things down. A small delay when starting/stopping transport and that sort of thing. It all feels sluggish.

And locking video track in Reaper does not exclude if from doing project wide cut/paste operations - I had to first cut video into clipboard while doing cut/paste of project - then paste video back - as a workaround(not sure if this is fixed since then).

In StudioOne I notice nothing of this - because they focus on the essential parts. You don't even notice you have a video running as well. Job well done, I think. Same system, same everything.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #35
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
In StudioOne I notice nothing of this - because they focus on the essential parts.
Great that here we do have somebody (in fact several bodies) in the forum who is entitled to decide what is essential for the while world and what is not.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #36
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great that here we do have somebody (in fact several bodies) in the forum who is entitled to decide what is essential for the while world and what is not.

-Michael
I think we always append " - for me" to what anybody writes on forums. We don't have to repeat that on every post.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 AM   #37
Valle

First time I downloaded REAPER (in october 2007), not only was I hooked right away, but I also knew that the countdown for other DAW’s was already running. (For those of you who can read Swedish, here is a post I wrote on “Studio Forum” https://forum.studio.se/topic/43536-...comment=668295 )

There is something “lethal mystique”-ish about REAPER – and not only in the name itself – that in time will force other DAWs to change their strategies, or else part with Sonar in DAW Heaven. But only Justin knows, I guess, and probably Schwa. Time will tell.

Letting REAPER handle video as well as audio is so right. Actually, it was a bit predictable. And I welcome more video features.

My prophesy is that in the near future REAPER will do all my shopping, banking, working, eating, drinking, fu... (no, not that one) ... and I will be able to concentrate on the things I love: write and record music. Until REAPER takes over that as well ...
Old 03-16-2019, 04:17 AM   #38
earforce

Quote:
I think we always append " - for me" to what anybody writes on forums. We don't have to repeat that on every post.
+1
Even after some years in forums, some dont have that in mind.
earforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #39
mschnell

Quote:
I think we always append " - for me" to what anybody writes on forums.
It's really easy for anybody who really means it to append this to their posts, and to leave it out, if this is what they want to state something as a (to some extent researched) fact. I decently would like to take my conversation partners for serious and not for clowns spreading fake news.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #40
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I decently would like to take my conversation partners for serious and not for clowns spreading fake news.
Is that what it means "for you", that leaving out "for me" equals spreading fake news? Or did you just forget to append "for me"?