Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
twistedneck
Human being with feelings

Default best way to deal with starts and tails

Noob here, learning Reaper for fun fun fun.

I've been recording some guitars and vocals using very inexpensive equipment and it sounds amazing (hard to believe actually).. simple 24bit/96k AD/DA.

My issue is, when I need to get rid of the dead spots at the start and end I understand the S command to split, but what i'm left with still has all the start end end 'clipped off' material. So if I make a mistake dragging a clip over I accidentally bring back that start or end.. is there a way to really clip it out or am I going about it all wrong?

many thanks!

Jeff Check
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Coachz

After you change the media item you can glue it and it will then become a new item that you could drag out and loop or leave as-is.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
RobertP

Hi and welcome
Put your curser where you want the split, click S, do it both ends of the bit you don't want (zoom out for better accuracy. Click once on the bit you don't want so it gets highlighted then delete. Then what he said ^^^

This is in the manual ....
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
twistedneck

Nice!! so that's what gluing is.. should have known. I assume there is a way to preserve the original also (no worries i'll figure it out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
This is in the manual ....

Robert, like you I'm sure I spend all day reading the manual at work (my god have you ever been through the Ansys manual?)

Since this is pure fun, I want to be that one guy who just hacks his way in and doesn't do anything right and then whines about it.

Great people here on the board thanks to Coachz and RobertP. And I'll look at that manual again more closely. I thought I watched just about all of the Reaper blogs and the Reaper official tutorials. WRONG.
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
Coachz

The original WAV file is not deleted until you run file / clean project directory. If you want to keep it on the arrange view simply copy the track unmute it before you do all of your editing and you can have it back up there. If you force yourself to read a section of the manual every few days and watch it Kenny video every few days you'll fall in love with Reaper so hard your wife will be jealous.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote