Human being with feelings

Easy and neat for the user +++++1
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #82
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
On that behalf: install the script, use it as if it were native (toolbar button, key command, whatever). Continue making music.
We both know using a third-party solution for such a basic thing as picking colours is far from ideal. Extensions have several drawbacks:

1) Users are required to search for them on the web, spend time testing, more time if several options are available. First time users will simply assume it can't be done, conclude that the DAW is sh*t and move on to a different DAW that, surprise surprise, offers an intuitive colour picker (literally nearly all DAWs do, except Reaper and FL Studio to a lesser extent).

2) Extensions don't update themselves, they require the user to periodically remember to check for updates, meaning most users never have the latest features. Read this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22679

3) Extensions are "one more thing to go wrong".

So, while not having a proper colour picker is not a show stopper, it's been years asking for this and still nothing. I see the extension as a temporary solution. IMO Cockos should take the trouble to check out the extensions that users have created and incorporate the most popular ones into Reaper.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #83
ivansc

|Is this not in Reapack? I was sure it was....
Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #84
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
|Is this not in Reapack? I was sure it was....
Many of scripts I was using are not working anymore and are no longer supported. It's a pain in the butt, instead of working on music you got too constantly keep an eye on what is happening in that space.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #85
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Many of scripts I was using are not working anymore and are no longer supported. It's a pain in the butt, instead of working on music you got too constantly keep an eye on what is happening in that space.
No "got to" about it, Nik. The basic functionality of Reaper hasn't changed that much in the context of making multitrack audio/MIDI recordings. Playing with the bells and whistles is still optional.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #86
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
No "got to" about it, Nik. The basic functionality of Reaper hasn't changed that much in the context of making multitrack audio/MIDI recordings. Playing with the bells and whistles is still optional.
It is, but most of the tools that are standard for modi work in other daws are absent in reaper, and only way to get them at least partialy is to use scripts - that's what everyone was always saying. So i did that, but already few months after i spend a month designing interface for myself, some of those scripts stopped working. It was frustrating.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #87
EvilDragon

All the scripts I installed over a year ago are still definitely working. ¯\(°_o)/¯
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #88
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
3) Extensions are "one more thing to go wrong".

So, while not having a proper colour picker is not a show stopper, it's been years asking for this and still nothing. I see the extension as a temporary solution. IMO Cockos should take the trouble to check out the extensions that users have created and incorporate the most popular ones into Reaper.
I would argue the opposite, namely that extensions are one *less* thing to go wrong:

1) Consider the long list of bugs in the Bug Reports forum (especially the squirming, endless swarm of bugs in the tempo map and piano roll, which have practically been abandoned by the devs). If there is a bug in REAPER itself, you are at the mercy of the devs.

2) Scripts are open source, so if something does go wrong, you can contact the author, or if he/she is not around, ask another friendly user to help, or even fix the script yourself. Easy peasy.

(If REAPER were open source, I expect that all the MIDI/tempo bugs could have been squashed in a matter of days.)

Last edited by juliansader; 09-22-2017 at 09:26 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #89
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I would argue the opposite, namely that extensions are one *less* thing to go wrong:

1) Consider the long list of bugs in the Bug Reports forum (especially the squirming, endless swarm of bugs in the tempo map and piano roll, which has practically been abandoned by the devs). If there is a bug in REAPER itself, you are at the mercy of the devs.

2) Scripts are open source, so if something does go wrong, you can contact the author, or if he/she is not around, ask another friendly user to help, or even fix the script yourself. Easy peasy.

(If REAPER were open source, I expect that all the MIDI/tempo bugs could have been squashed in a matter of days.)
Precisely, when I was the one managing the FaderPortXT extension for control surfaces - I could fix bugs/add features on request, if it were in the product, that would have come to an end. I know many argue "make everything native!" but that's as much placebo as anything.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #90
Scoox

That's all great and well, but scripting is not for everybody and it's not a prerequisite for writing a musical masterpiece. When people first approach a DAW their main intention should be to use it for audio-related work, not as an IDE.

Scripts can stop working after updates. Maybe not in Reaper? But in Firefox this happens all the time.

Anyway, I think we are getting side-tracked. This thread is about picking colours, pretty basic stuff. The OP started this thread in 2009 and pretty much everyone agrees with him, except apparently Cockos.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #91
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
That's all great and well, but scripting is not for everybody and it's not a prerequisite for writing a musical masterpiece.
You don't have to write them, that wasn't the point being made. Once someone takes 10 seconds to make it a key command or toolbar button, it's good to go.

Quote:
Scripts can stop working after updates. Maybe not in Reaper? But in Firefox this happens all the time.
Anything can stop working after updates, comes with the territory be that native, script, plugin etc.

Quote:
Anyway, I think we are getting side-tracked. This thread is about picking colours, pretty basic stuff. The OP started this thread in 2009 and pretty much everyone agrees with him, except apparently Cockos.
I don't think it's just Cockos and I agree those who actually replied agreed... If it is eight years old, and is mostly the only real thread about it, I'd say there really isn't that much interest comparatively - then again, I thought ED had a fantastic color picker script/GUI that is already functional and working for a year or few now? If already mentioned then TLDR.

Not knocking the desire, I just don't think the entire native vs script vs extension argument is very strong. I should add the reason none of this bothers me is 99% of my coloring is automatic based on SWS and other options so I never actually have to pick them - it just happens automatically.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #92
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I thought ED had a fantastic color picker script/GUI that is already functional and working for a year or few now?
More like YEARS. I made that during Reaper 3 times... That wiki entry was last updated in 2010...
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #93
karbomusic

Quote:
More like YEARS. I made that during Reaper 3 times... That wiki entry was last updated in 2010...
Still valid?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #94
EvilDragon

Yeah, AFAIK those SWS actions are not broken. The rest is just a bunch of custom actions mapped to a toolbar. Big whoop.

(I don't use it anymore, as you can see it's not even in my sig any longer. I use Airon's color swatch Lua script instead!)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #95
karbomusic

Quote:

(I don't use it anymore, as you can see it's not even in my sig any longer. I use Airon's color swatch Lua script instead!)
Well alrighty then...

Airon has this fantastic color picker...
Old 09-24-2017, 04:07 AM   #96
airon

ReaNoir is available via Reapack, just like the Colour Swatch script.

ReaNoir can edit, loaf and save palettes. It's a matter of preference.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #97
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
ReaNoir is available via Reapack, just like the Colour Swatch script.

ReaNoir can edit, loaf and save palettes. It's a matter of preference.
Thanks for that, actually it's very similar to Bitwig when docked to the left. Lookin' good!