Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
pcmusicpro
Human being with feelings

Default Help me choose monitors KRK, Behringer or Yamaha?

Hi all

I've been searching for a new pair of monitors for my new studio. The control room is gonna be a little bigger than the actual one and I think a pair of 8" monitor will perform well into that space.

I'm actually doing all my recordings and mixes with a pair of Behringer's B2030A. Those are 6" woofer. I have them since the last 3 years and they perform very well.

Now I have new candidates for replacement:

KRK Rokit 8: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit8G2/

Pros: Good reputation, bass port on front.
Cons: no way to taylor or change their response with filter switches (just a Hi trim)

Behringer Truth B2031A: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B2031A

Pros: Bass ports on the front, nice array of filters to custom the response according the room being used, lowest price. I've used the smaller B2030A with great results.

Cons: Bad reputation

Yamaha HS80M: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS80M

Pros: You can custom their response with switches at the back, good reputation.

Cons: Bass port at the back, they are the most expensive.

In case you own them and/or have used one pair of any of these, please tell me about your experience. Right now I fell kind of stuck and could'nt make a choice yet.

Thanks

Ed.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Ferret King

In my personal opinion...the Yammys. However, I haven't got to really test the KRKs (which have rave reviews) but I have used the Behringers for quite awhile. I think they get a very undeserved reputation. The biggest complaint is that they have had rf noise, but mine never did (I have the first generation). If you mix on them for awhile your ears learn them and they really are decent (much better than the negative reviews)

...but the HS80's changes everything...they bring out the "worst" in your mix before any of the "best". It's again, of course, a learning curve, but the first thing I did was put my 5 fav albums in and listened. I have heard things in such detail that I never even knew existed! They are the most revealing monitors I've ever had, and though a bit pricey, affordable (compared to alot...).
...I also have the 50 m's, they lack the bass response, but smaller footprint, very affordable and accurate. Precise translation almost every time.

Hope this helps some....
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
chrisharbin

Those yamahas have to be just about the best monitors in that price range EVA!

Have you heard them? They easily rival other more expensive monitors.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

Heh I hate those HS80M. We have a pair here and their sound is too tough, hard, don't know how to explain it, it's just very difficult for me to mix with them. Highs sound too harsh for my taste. My brother mixes with them and he's got used to them, me? I think I'll never feel comfortable with that sound. They have a good stereo image, though, I give them that.

We also have a pair of Truth B2031A, first generation. I choose them over the HS80M's any day. They lack low end, it's hard to mix hip-hop/R&B with them but their overall sound is well balanced and "true" to the source. They're not my favorite monitors, though... my favorite monitors, so far, are my M-Audio BX8a. Man, I love those monitors, they sound great. They don't have that HS80M stereo image but they're very balanced and their sound is tight and very clear. It's a breeze to mix with them. I've also mixed in KRK's (8, if I recall correctly), and they sound good as well.

If you have a chance, please give the BX8a a listen (hmmm actually I just took a look at M-Audio's site and apparently they've been "redesigned"... "D2", will they sound like my good ole BX8s's?...)
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
mixer

I have the KRK's you link to. I read great reviews, heard them in a music store, then they went on sale, which is rare. I've been happy with them. I've heard some say they are a bit harsh in the upper range. It's the only pair I own, though, so I can't really compare.

Oh, wait. I lied. I have the Equator D5's.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studi..._Pair_p/d5.htm

Haven't hooked them up yet to really test them out. Everyone seems to love them.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
lxm

hs80's here . they are GREAT. really honest monitors. i used ns10's before that. my only complaint is that they handle bass a little to well so you might want to adjust that. i turn the bass up a little so the mix wont be bass heavy/boomy on lesser speakers.

for what its worth the KRK's are known to be more of a dance production type monitor. color the sound alot etc. im not into that but maybe you are?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
t_muraoka

I had a close look at the KRK's and Yamaha's when I was shopping for monitors. Didn't like the Yamaha's at all, found them very bright and harsh, couldn't believe how many people reviewed them as "uncolored" or "honest". The KRK's were better but I ended up getting a pair of JBL LSR 2325's. Remarkably good bass response for the size (the larger ones were, of course, better but beyond my budget) and pretty good response elsewhere.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
chrisharbin

I think some people confuse certain adjectives with the fact that they can't mix for shit.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I think some people confuse certain adjectives with the fact that they can't mix for shit.

lets hear some of your AMAZING mixes....
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
lets hear some of your AMAZING mixes....
Mine suck. Then again I like the yamy's

On a serious note though, I hear WAY too many different opinions on these to make much sense. In fact, the reason people mixed SO MANY ALBUMS on ns10's was because if you could get it to sound good on those, it would sound good with anything HAHA!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
RJHollins

For what its' worth ...

I had to make a monitor purchase to replace some old, beat up, temporary
monitors in order to shoot my new Control Room.

Since it is a new room, I figured on purchasing 2 additional monitors
systems for it. The PROBLEM I had was the sheer cost of shipping to test monitors in the new room.

I ended up at GC to see/hear what they had. I 'in store' listened to, some,
half dozen monitor pairs. [using my reference CD].

The only ones that DIDN'T sound strange were the YAMY HS80M. Then to find
that they were on sale ... I grabbed a pair.

They took about 2 weeks of play before things start to smooth out, and fill out. And when they did, I am quite impressed with these 'cheap' monitors.

Something I did find out ... I made a cable switch ... tried the balanced
MOGAMBI QUAD cable. What a shock THAT was !!! and NOT in a good way !

I ended up going back to my Standard 100 [un-balanced]. YES!!!

I should point out that the QUAD cable was 16'. And apparently the cables
higher capacitance was 'twisting' the response in a VERY bad way.

Anyway ... although the HS80's are quite different than my old NS-10's, from
the early 80s] ... these HS80's are quite revealing. I have to roll out
some of the bass [settings on the back] due to positioning.

If I want MORE of an NS10 [midrange reveal], there is a 2dB boost switch.

All in all, these speakers deliver. and if something is bad, you WILL hear
it .... yeah ... IF you have a room designed AND treated properly. [but
that goes for any studio system].

There are some real high end $$$ monitors that I want to hear ... but honestly ... I don't feel like I have to hurry since getting the HS80s.

Just my recent experience.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
chrisharbin

@cables:

Instead of my usual "all cables sound the same" smartass jokes let me make something clear:

THEY DON'T ALL SOUND THE SAME

To those who think they do, get over it
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
@cables:

Instead of my usual "all cables sound the same" smartass jokes let me make something clear:

THEY DON'T ALL SOUND THE SAME

To those who think they do, get over it
We talking signal or speaker cables?

If signal, just buy good cable keep it short and terminate it well (Neutrik).

>
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
ivansc

I have mixed on a pair of Tannoy 6" dual concentric monitors for years.
Bought them because I was used to BIG Tannoys in pro studios and haven't regretted it.

Decided I needed something bigger and louder for when buddies drop by to jam in the studio, but also was curious to see how monitoring had changed over the years.

Listened to KRKs (harsh and a bit 'disconnected' to my ears...a lot of mid-range detail, but not in a nice way)
HS80M (again very harsh and lacking in clean mid-range detail)

Behringer 3031s (best of the bunch and I particularly liked the non-fatiguing nature of the ribbon tweeters.)

I wound up buying the HS80Ms because I picked up a pair for a lot less than the price of even the Behringers, on the basis that I didn't expect to be using them for mission critical stuff.

Almost a year later, I stick the Yamahas on if I want to just last some music or if friends come round, as they do go loud and have a lot of bottom end.

They are NOT in the least bit accurate or honest to my ears.

Switching between them and my little Tannoys is quite depressing. but YMMV as always.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
Kainer

I use KRK VXT8 (great speaker!) and I say forget the Rokits. We had them before and if you compare them to the VXT8 you will never listen to Rokits again.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Subz

if you don't pick the KRK's your mad!

anyone with a Ok ear will hear that they are way under-priced,

i would pick the KRK 8's over the more expensive Mackies any day

take a part finished mix & the finished mix to a music store & play them both on the KRK's then pay for them go home & be super happy!

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
I use KRK VXT8 (great speaker!) and I say forget the Rokits. We had them before and if you compare them to the VXT8 you will never listen to Rokits again.

this is true! but for the price the Rockets are Amazingly good!

yes i have the Rockets lol

i had the Truth's before (they suck!)

would love to be able to afford the VXT's!

Subz
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
keys

Please educate me....
I would not consider the ability to trim the response of a pair of monitors worth anything at all. Surely, if you find they are say too bright compared to your old monitors, you will compensate by adding a default eq on the master track to get them to produce your known 'good' mix. What am i missing here? - is it to do with phase between the speaker drivers?
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM   #19
Kainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
this is true! but for the price the Rockets are Amazingly good!

yes i have the Rockets lol

i had the Truth's before (they suck!)

would love to be able to afford the VXT's!

Subz

I wanted to buy the Rokits, but in the shop I listened to the VXT8 and I went home, waiting till I can afford the VXTs.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #20
Viente

There will be no "truth" in such topics ever!
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #21
JonnyGinese

I have a set of behringer 2031As that were given to me... I was skeptical at first but after trying them out for awhile I found out that they translate really well for me... Which should be your biggest concern.

They do have drawbacks being behringers though... I never killed them... But a surge did...
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #22
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
I wanted to buy the Rokits, but in the shop I listened to the VXT8 and I went home, waiting till I can afford the VXTs.
i respect your will power!

i go to "That" shop with all my cash & leave with none!

lol
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Nandhu Kartha

Recently upgraded from HS80s to MSP7 Studios + SW10 Studio sub !! Over all translation is much much better, especially low mid/bass frequencies seem to be more revealing. For me listening to HS80s were more inspiring than MSP7s. But I struggled to make decisions with them, usually with low frequencies. My be my room had a roll in that. But MSPs7 are a bit mid focused and mercilessly neutral!!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #24
Smurf

I have had great lick with Behringer stuff, so with that said...

I would go for the Truth B3031A's, I have heard these numerous times side by side with the B2031 and the ribbon tweeters just sound better. The mid's are smoother and the crossover area seems less obtrusive to my ear.

And this is a IMHO, YMMV, yada yada type of post......

Last edited by Smurf; 03-31-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
amrodan

I was looking at the KRKS vs the Yamahas and i ended up getting the HS80m due to all the good reviews and hearing them at guitar center. I liked how easy it was to hear the different frequencies on them. To me they sound very flat, at least compared to what i was used to. Mixing on them is really easy I highly highly recommend them...But of course you really need to take some of your material down and compare it on the different monitors and decide what works best and sounds best to you.

You'll see lots of people saying if your mix sounds good on the yammys it will sound good everywhere and now that Ive put a solid year on mine I agree. my last monitors i had to do a lot more A/B on different sound systems, these I still do that but its not really needed to get your mixes really close.

I cant comment on the behringers as I havent heard them...

I was looking at the KRKS vs the Yamahas and i ended up getting the HS80m due to all the good reviews and hearing them at guitar center. I liked how easy it was to hear the different frequencies on them. To me they sound very flat, at least compared to what i was used to. Mixing on them is really easy I highly highly recommend them...But of course you really need to take some of your material down and compare it on the different monitors and decide what works best and sounds best to you.

You'll see lots of people saying if your mix sounds good on the yammys it will sound good everywhere and now that Ive put a solid year on mine I agree. my last monitors i had to do a lot more A/B on different sound systems, these I still do that but its not really needed to get your mixes really close.

Keys, trim is useful if your monitors are too close to the wall or say one is in front of a window and the other is in front of a wall and you're getting too much bass on the wall so you trim a little on the speaker by the wall to have an even amount of bass on the left speaker so that you're not boosting the bass with eq on the right channel or cutting the bass on the left to compensate.

Last edited by amrodan; 03-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
amrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrodan View Post
I can't comment the others, but these
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b3031a_truth.htm
having the 2031A before.
are great.
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrodan View Post
Keys, trim is useful if your monitors are too close to the wall or say one is in front of a window and the other is in front of a wall...
Thanks Amrodan for your answer - makes sense - though I still think you could probably compensate with some master EQ to get a flat 'reference' mix on both speakers - then use that EQ from then on.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
ivansc

But there again EQ applied to the baseline will be static and monitor performance over frequency range isn't.

And OP when it all comes don to it, the only way you will be sure what i right for you is to try and audition the candidates for a long as possible in your own space.
Not easy, but the surest way to make adecision.

I went into a music store with a good listening environment and quality amps & took several hours listening to reference material I had taken with me including some of my own mixes before I bought the Tannoys.

If you can arrange to buy with the option to return at no cost within say a couple of weeks, you could at least try them serially....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'd be careful with the krk 8's unless your room is pretty damn big with a lot of decent wideband bass absoprtion..the 6's are a LOT
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
pcmusicpro

After reading carefully all your comments I can see that there is a lot of subjectivity regarding monitor choice... I guess as everything in life.

I was surprised to read that Mercado likes to mix with the BX8a by M-Audio. Those are monitor that I've been avoiding after hearing them in a couple of studios in my home town. I've found them to heavy on the bass side, everything seemed to sound way bigger than it really was. So I'm skeptical but I know that those are nice monitors. Everywhere I read about the HS80M by Yamaha I notice the emphasis on the harder they are to mix and the old phrase "if your mix sounds good on the Yamahas it will sound good everywhere". I had the NS10's and sold them as soon as I could, my mixes improved right after that with a pair of Alesis M1 Active first generation speakers. I don't want to return to a place where I feel that mixing is a PITA, I want to enjoy my mixing process, not to struggle to or fight against it.

My studio usually is making rock music productions with acoustic drums, distorted and clean guitars and some acoustical material too. Dance, Hip Hop and Reggaeton music is not produced too much, just occasionally, the same with metal music.

I've been pretty happy with the B2030a's knowing that they are not great but decent. And my mixes had translated well so far.

I'm tempted by those B3031a's with their ribbon high frequency driver.

Last edited by pcmusicpro; 03-31-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I dont find the yamaha 80's to be anything like the ns-10's I find them to be like non-mushy mackie 8's. The hs50's are much more like ns-10's to me, but often need a sub for a lot of work, I find it had to guess based on looking at the cone, what the lows are doing, compared to the way you can look at the ns-10's and know, but that could be uust from years and years on ns-10's

I love the yamaha 80's and I love the krk vxt 6's so far. I own two pairs of hs-50's and love those as well, coupled with a sub. I think any of these speakers are fine if you take the time to learn them

I sometimes find the yamaha 80's hard to work with over a long stretch, witht the mellower 50's and krk's easier in that department
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #32
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I went into a music store with a good listening environment and quality amps ...
So I did and bought the behringer ;-)
And as most of the sellers are offering a kind of 30-day money-back guarantee you should consider to buy your 'release candidates' and send the unwanted back.
The space between your ears is unique yours and no one can tell you in the end what to do.
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
pcmusicpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post
So I did and bought the behringer ;-)
And as most of the sellers are offering a kind of 30-day money-back guarantee you should consider to buy your 'release candidates' and send the unwanted back.
The space between your ears is unique yours and no one can tell you in the end what to do.
horst
In the city I live we don't have many audio retailers or a big store. One distributes only M-Audio products, the other one just Yamaha. Audio testing and a proper acoustic environment is really complicated in those places. A better deal could be to grab a CD with my mixes and visit my fellow engineers to hear my sound over different speaker sets in their studios, take note and see/hear which pair of speakers impresses me more... sounds like a good plan for this week.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
Joe Engineer

Have you looked into the Equater Audio Q8's?

http://www.equatoraudio.com/Equator_...nitor_p/q8.htm

With shipping and duty they might be more than you want to spend but they are without a doubt the best deal going. Retail list price is US $3,000.00/pair but since February they can now be bought direct from Equator for $1,000.00/pair (and they include their Automated Room Analysis Software).
Joe Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmusicpro View Post
I was surprised to read that Mercado likes to mix with the BX8a by M-Audio.
Glad I wasn't the only one
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #36
drillbit

I'm not a massive KRK fan (good bass but tops are vague), but I have thoroughly tested the new Rokit 10-3 and was really impressed. The bottom end is really tight and accurate (tonal). There might be a bit of a scoop in the low mids/upper bass, but the tops are really very good.

Definitely check out the new Rokit 10-3. They are miles above the others in the Rokit range and a real deal for such a full range speaker.

Oh, but they are massive. Asolutely no need for a sub.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
sstillwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Engineer View Post
Have you looked into the Equater Audio Q8's?

http://www.equatoraudio.com/Equator_...nitor_p/q8.htm

With shipping and duty they might be more than you want to spend but they are without a doubt the best deal going. Retail list price is US $3,000.00/pair but since February they can now be bought direct from Equator for $1,000.00/pair (and they include their Automated Room Analysis Software).
I don't have the room or the budget for the Q8s (wish I did, though!), but I swear the D5s have done amazing things for my mixes. Either that or I just coincidentally got a lot better right after I received them...

I use the D5s with the KRK 10s subwoofer.

D5 is plenty for a small spare bedroom/office/mix room, especially with a sub to lend it authority.

Scott
Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #38
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'd be careful with the krk 8's unless your room is pretty damn big with a lot of decent wideband bass absoprtion..the 6's are a LOT
Yep.

I have VXT8 and I have to watch what's going on at the bottom end of my mixes, my room can hide frequencies that rattle things fifty feet away at the other end of our house. They are quite flat down to what I would consider sub territory (with the power to back it up) -and this can be a problem if you can't trap reflections at those frequencies; took me a little while to get a handle on it.

Much better mid and top (in my opinion, and that's what it always is with monitors above a certain level) than the cheaper KRKs (and most other cheaper monitors I've tried, to my ears).

>
Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #39
drillbit

Just an added note.

I have just bought a pair of the KRK RP 10-3. I took them home for a week (I work days at a music store). They accompany my Adam A7's brilliantly. They have such definition in the subs, The mids are decently punch and the tops are less hype than my Adams. My Adams are the analytical speakers (lean forward) and the KRK are the big picture, indulgence, client impressing (lean back) speakers. I find I'm not using my old sub anymore. I enjoy the contrast between the two speakers.

They are enormous and definitely not for every space, but for the money you get a hell of a lot fo the spectrum. IMHO
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote