Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
InTone
Human being with feelings

Default The right way to migrate preferencies and future backup.

Today I decided to give Reaper native for Linux a shot on my Manjaro. I was suprised how well it works. Very good job, indeed, I'm impressed.

But I'm a bit puzzled about how to migrate my Windows preferencies to Linux version. My method in Windows is copying everything from the Reaper application data folder, and pasting it over if I do fresh install or something breaks etc. Works well. But is this good method? What I mean is, if I would like to have as much identical system in my Linux as in my Windows, should I use this method? Because, for example, it is instructed that if I want to use Reaper as portable install within the executable in Linux, I should create reaper.ini in the same folder that makes Reaper to include everything in that folder. But the data folder I would copy from Windows already includes reaper.ini, which includes information that Linux version won't understand, am I correct? I know I won't get Windows things, like VST etc, but as many custom things as possible that I have tweaked for years.

So is there a better way, or is the import/export configuration only good option? It does not certainly include as much custom tweaks as copying the folder contents manually. Or have I misunderstood something?
InTone is offline   Reply With Quote