Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
endberg
Human being with feelings

Default strange behavior

I know, that the Reaper lags-pops-cpu theme is talked over a lot already, but I'm experiencing some strange behavior, that I cant explain:

I'm using Reaper a long time (2-3 years), and it always worked like a charm. I'm using Line6 ASIO for recording (minimal latency, very nice), and ASIO4All for mixing and mastering. I've never experienced any problems, with 5-10 tracks and 3-4 effects per track, it worked flawlessly, without any cpu or any other problems. (of course the asio4all has some latency, but it doesnt matter in the mixing process)

Today I loaded a project, that I used recently without problems, and it works terrible. Pops, cracks, red flashing asio icon, very high cpu, slow gui, etc.

The strange thing is, when I listen to one track solo, the cpu load is not lower, and even when the playback is stopped, and I didn't do anything, the cpu peeks, and I can hear the cracks and pops of the driver lagging in my headphones.

I checked my hardware and os, no errors, and nothing changed since yesterday.

I started a new projects, loads some tracks and vst-s, and it works smooth. After that, I loaded the other project, and for a couple of minits, it worked without problems, then the high cpu problems started again.

(I even reinstalled reaper, no changes)

Do you have any tips on that problem? Could a bigger vst directory cause anything like that? (I have a fair amount of vst-s in my vst directory, but I use just a few of them)

I hope, you can give some helpful tips, because this drives me crazy.
endberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
cyrano

Sorry, I have no tips, just a somewhat comparable problem, on a Mac.

Like you, I've used Reaper for a couple of years, without any problem.

Wen using 5.15, projects sometimes use too much CPU, even when idle in the background.

I'm pretty certain is was a plugin, as another symptom was that I sometimes had several instances of the 32 to 64 bit plugin running.

I am messing around with a lot of plugins. I've eliminated all 32 bit plugins since and it seems to happen less now. Most projects don't use much CPU anymore. But one, a project I've been using to test plugins, with just one track, still does sometimes. There's usually just one plugin on this project.
I've opened the project file in a text editor to see if there are any remains of previous experiments. Nothing like that.

So I'm back to supposing it is an odd behaving plugin, but I don't know which one...
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
dea-man

Not sure if this is related but:

I have been using Reaper 64 bit for so long I don't even bother with Reaper 32 anymore. I often use both 64 and 32 bit plugs, though.

The other day, completely by accident, I opened a recorded project in Reaper 32 and I got the results the OP is describing (pops, lags, drop out, CPU spike).

It took me a moment to realize I was in Reaper 32. As soon as I re-opened the project back in Reaper 64, voila, no problems anymore, and none since.

Interesting, anyways.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
cyrano

I'm using Reaper 64. The 32 bits version of Reaper isn't even installed anymore.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #5
endberg

Now, after a lot of trying, finally I opened the project with the recovery option (all effects disabled). It worked fine without any effects, so I switched back all the effects one-by-one, and now it works smooth and great, with modest cpu usage. So I still don't know the source of the problem exactly, but now it works.
endberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^^
and if you now open it 'normally'?