COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
JLJ
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie question

I hate to admit it but I'm a tad confused about the synchronization action selections in PathSync. After comparing local and remote folders, what I want to do is this:

1. COPY TO REMOTE folder all files found locally that do not exist remotely

2. DELETE FROM REMOTE all files not found locally

The plan is to build a complete, up-to-date dupe of the LOCAL folder (mirror local folder).

So which action do I want: "Local -> Remote" or "Local -> Remote (do not delete missing files}"? What's not immediately clear is if the "missing file" designation refers to the Local or Remote folder -- I do NOT want to delete ANYTHING locally.

Thanks! JLJ
JLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
c2R

You could try it on a test folder for piece of mind....

But Local --> Remote is what you want... (do not delete missing files) refers to the remote drive and will not delete them from there if they are gone from the local drive.

Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Burrito

It works _nearly_ perfect for what you have in mind...just be aware that local files that don't exist any longer are deleted on the remote location (as expected) but deleted folders are not!

This means that old and empty folders will clutter up your remote folder after some time...

A bug if you ask me. Sadly Justin doesn't update this software currently.

Help Justin, help!
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
c2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
It works _nearly_ perfect for what you have in mind...just be aware that local files that don't exist any longer are deleted on the remote location (as expected) but deleted folders are not!

This means that old and empty folders will clutter up your remote folder after some time...

Help Justin, help!
At the moment I'm using RED - http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm on the remote machine every so often to trash the empty remote folders
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
Burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2R View Post
At the moment I'm using RED - http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm on the remote machine every so often to trash the empty remote folders
Thanks for the hint, nice workaround.

The idea to install and use an extra tool for this trivial task that should be an option anyways bugs me though...but thanks again!
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
goatpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito View Post

That's why it's great that he made the source available- I've added this feature in v0.34.

Last edited by goatpunch; 08-14-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Updated to mention v0.34
goatpunch is offline   Reply With Quote