Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
Rasa
Human being with feelings

Default Recording a live band

Hello-I am looking for advice on how to set up a system for recording my band's shows to edit later. I am using a MR18 mixer and running it with X Air Edit. The PC uses a wireless connection to my router. The router is hard wired to the mixer. My question boils down to this: Do I use the same computer that is running the mix to also record files to an external storage device? Or would I be better off with another computer hard wired to the computer to record files to an external storage unit? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
mschnell

The Rack Mixer does not transfer audio via Wireless, but only via USB. Hence the recording PC needs to be located close to the mixer.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
serr

[You can't use your own wi-fi router with the XR18 for control surface connection. Period. Hard stop.] edit: I'm told this is not the case! You'll have to roam close to the stage if you use the built-in mixer to mix live.

But you said you're mixing live with Reaper anyway, so that would be a moot point!
And your router to computer connection for whatever your wireless control surface is is not part of the XR18 so you should be golden. Just using the XR18 as a USB audio interface. (Assuming this is what you are saying and not miscommunication!)

Have a SSD in that laptop for a system drive. Record to the free space on the SSD. (Have a big enough drive to do so.)

I've run live sound with Reaper for about 10 years now and recorded the full multitrack for every show for everything. You DO want to record to the SSD for that for the lowest CPU overhead. Never a glitch. I wouldn't consider recording to an external unless it was a thunderbolt connected SSD. But that would probably just work fine too.

Using a 2nd computer would require sharing a single interface with two computers BTW. That would be more complex and/or not possible. FYI, I used to use a C2D CPU laptop and could run sound with and record all 36 channels from two audio interfaces in aggregate device config with no issue. That was using like 96% CPU mind you but it was stable. The i7 machines just idle through all this.

If you are just recording with a computer and mixing with the built-in mixer in the XR18, you connect it with USB just like any USB audio interface. You can use relaxed latency settings and just about any computer from the last 15 years for such a thing.

Last edited by serr; 02-04-2019 at 02:31 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You can't use your own wi-fi router with the XR18 for control surface connection.
Why do you think so ? it just works as expected. RJ-45 cable between XR18 and Wifi Router.

And using one Computer (e.g. Laptop) attached to the XR18 via USB and running Reaper for multi-track recording, and another one (e.g. a tablet) attached via some kind of network, is no problem at all. I do this all the time. (In fact I have up to four computers at the same time attached to control the XR18 (plus the recording PC). No problems at all.

(I don't assume intends to do the live mixing using Reaper as an audio engine...)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-04-2019 at 02:31 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Why do you think so ? it just works as expected. RJ-45 cable between XR18 and Wifi Router.

-Michael
I've been told so. Perhaps I'm misinformed! Apologies for perpetuating rumor if that's the case!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #6
TheWhistler

You should use a wifi-router instead of the built in one.
Besides some other advantages you will benefit by not having to choose wether you want cable connection or wifi, the router handles both of it.

I have a XR18 running with a notebook for recording, a desktop (X-Air-Edit) and a X-Touch wired by an external router via network cable. AVery stable.

I like having an external router for better W-LAN quality.
The built in one does not have proper safety (WPS only I think) and nor dual band wifi.

Last edited by TheWhistler; 02-05-2019 at 06:51 AM.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote