who uses Linux (with jack) 1 100.00%
who uses a Scarlet 2i2 1 100.00%
who uses 2 keyboards and a mic 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
hapibeli
Human being with feelings

Default Focusrite 2i2, Ubuntu Studio, 2 keyboards, Avantone mic

I am trying to setup my Focusrite 2i2, into JACK, and then Reaper, BUT I also want to run it all out of the Yamaha MG06X mixer and into recording in Reaper, OR, into the Scarlet 2i2, into Reaper,and out to the mixer.
I want the Crumar keyboard, the Yamaha DX keyboard, and my mic each to have their own track?
Would some one direct me to somewhere describing a how to for this operation?
Thanks all.

Last edited by hapibeli; 07-25-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: lousy memory
hapibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Glennbo

I would skip using JACK unless you absolutely have to. ALSA works fine for both audio and midi on my Behringer UMC1820, and I'm guessing your 2i2 USB device would behave similarly.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
JamesPeters

I second Glennbo, or I "zero" him since I said it before him.

As for the rest: I don't know your specific devices so I can't "hold your hand" as to how to connect everything. It should be fairly evident in general sense anyway: each device's "output" will have to go to an "input" of the mixer or interface. And if you want separate inputs to the computer, you need an interface which has the same number of inputs as (or more than) the number of outputs from all your devices. Currently it seems you won't have strictly dedicated inputs to the computer based on the mixer and interface you have, plus to get more than a few inputs set up simultaneously would mean trying to run more than one device as your audio interface for the computer. You would be better off getting a different device with more inputs (such as the Behringer one that Glennbo uses).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-24-2020 at 07:44 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I second Glennbo, or I "zero" him since I said it before him:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....83#post2320983

As for the rest: I don't know your specific devices so I can't "hold your hand" as to how to connect everything. It should be fairly evident in general sense anyway: each device's "output" will have to go to an "input" of the mixer or interface. And if you want separate inputs to the computer, you need an interface which has the same number of inputs as (or more than) the number of outputs from all your devices. Currently it seems you won't have strictly dedicated inputs to the computer based on the mixer and interface you have, plus to get more than a few inputs set up simultaneously would mean trying to run more than one device as your audio interface for the computer. You would be better off getting a different device with more inputs (such as the Behringer one that Glennbo uses).
I've been zeroed!!!

Sounds to me like the best way the original poster could hook their stuff up would be to put the two keyboards and mic into the first three inputs of the mixer, then take the stereo outputs from the mixer to the stereo inputs on the 2i2 interface.

Any keyboard or mic could be recorded without any re-cabling, but a maximum of two independent tracks in REAPER could be recorded in a single take, which is the limitation of having only two inputs on the 2i2 interface. It would be possible to pan the two keyboards to one track, and pan the vocal mic opposite so you end up with mixed keyboards on one track and a separate vocal track.

Edited for clarity:

Only if the two keyboards and vocal mic all need to be separate tracks in REAPER *AND* will all be recorded in a single take, would more inputs are needed.

If OTOH parts will be tracked instrument or vocal at a time, then having instruments and mics into the mixer, and the mixer stereo outs into the soundcard should do it.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-25-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
hapibeli

Default Focusrite 2i2, Ubuntu Studio, 2 keyboards, Avantone mic

Thank you all!